Whiskey

Siliconemelons

okay 3 new samples. Could not find any of the named suggestions, small, or full size.

Always hear good things about makers, so I am excited for that.

The middle is a "high years" for one avail in sample size.

And well honey lol

IMG_20170819_1256306.jpg

Siliconemelons

Okay, makers is nice - its better in a nicer straight flavor than crown or old grandad or dewers that I have had.

I still like crown vanilla, but I love vanilla stuff.

Also it seems that if I just sip, there is burn in everything - if I take a nice long drag and let it wave down my tongue and fill the back before opening up and letting things flow down- vanilla and makers have no burn...odd..

Honestly I could be "drinking it wrong" - if I drink it like above, how my friend told me to drink things like stouts etc. it seems better.

Tomorrow I will try the Johnny Walker "12 years" one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
i switched to whiskey about 5 months ago and haven't had a beer since. I've been trying to get a different bottle of scotch every time I go the the liquor store to get a better idea of what I like. I drink everything neat but sometimes add a drop or two of water. I mainly drink scotch but like bulliet bourbon as a daily drinker. So far my tastes breakdown like this. May be off on some of the years. I really enjoyed finding how distinct and different all the different single malts are.

Love: lagavulin 16
laphroieg 10
Glenmorangie 10
Highland Park 12
Dalwhinnie 15

Ok: Glenlivit 12
Macallan 10 and 12
Glen Fiddich 12

Didn't like: Ardbeg 12
talisker 10

Been going down this rabbit hole this week and gotta say I’m loving the adventure. Building up a variety to have on hand at the house. Only drinking one small pour every other night or so. Have picked up:

Glenfiddich 15 - Not bad, was my first real try at tasting and enjoying. And not just drinking. Will have to revisit.

Oban 14 - Liked this a lot. More than the Glenn probably.

Dalwhinnie 15 - Man this was awesome. Very distinctly different than the other two. Was very hard not to pour more and keep drinking.

Macallan 12 Double Cask - Also really really liked this. The finish on it had an awesome taste that I’m woefully underqualified to describe.

Tried to pick up the Highland Park 12 but they were out. And also getting the Lagavulin 16 next time. Thanks for the list though, really helping.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I am in Nashville with a serious hangover...note to self...DO NOT MIX liquors. Holy fuck, what am I 19?
The bourbon is so plentiful and a lot of the restaurant/bars have a giant list.
I was sticking with modestly priced drinks...had the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked on the rocks with dinner (also, first mistake...had a local porter too), wine at the symphony, some fancy ass bourbon old fashioned (38 dollar drink...not worth it) at The Southern Restaurant bar...went with 2 couples I met at the concert...they accidentally ordered the 325 dollar Hirsch bourbon instead of the 11 dollar one...smelled great, but holyfuck....
more beer after that in random bars...all of that alcohol made me hang...hard...I am typing this from my giant bed at the B and B in which I am staying.
Silver lining: I got to enjoy a delicious breakfast but the calories were negated by later expelling it.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I am in Nashville with a serious hangover...note to self...DO NOT MIX liquors. Holy fuck, what am I 19?
The bourbon is so plentiful and a lot of the restaurant/bars have a giant list.
I was sticking with modestly priced drinks...had the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked on the rocks with dinner (also, first mistake...had a local porter too), wine at the symphony, some fancy ass bourbon old fashioned (38 dollar drink...not worth it) at The Southern Restaurant bar...went with 2 couples I met at the concert...they accidentally ordered the 325 dollar Hirsch bourbon instead of the 11 dollar one...smelled great, but holyfuck....
more beer after that in random bars...all of that alcohol made me hang...hard...I am typing this from my giant bed at the B and B in which I am staying.
Silver lining: I got to enjoy a delicious breakfast but the calories were negated by later expelling it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i switched to whiskey about 5 months ago and haven't had a beer since. I've been trying to get a different bottle of scotch every time I go the the liquor store to get a better idea of what I like. I drink everything neat but sometimes add a drop or two of water. I mainly drink scotch but like bulliet bourbon as a daily drinker. So far my tastes breakdown like this. May be off on some of the years. I really enjoyed finding how distinct and different all the different single malts are.

Love: lagavulin 16
laphroieg 10
Glenmorangie 10
Highland Park 12
Dalwhinnie 15

Ok: Glenlivit 12
Macallan 10 and 12
Glen Fiddich 12

Didn't like: Ardbeg 12
talisker 10

i've recently started sampling single malt whiskys from scotland - i'm sampling them in the 50-130 dollar a bottle range, so i am planning on buying one bottle every other month. however i liked one enough that i bought it again along with something else.

i am not a hard liquor person, but was curious, i use 1792 bourbon for my cooking or hot toddy's and wife liked that ok-she prefers the balvenie's caribbean cask 14 in her hot toddy but at 70 dollars a bottle..

first was the glen fiddich 14 bourbon barrel($50) - liked it.

second up was
The Balvenie's Caribbean Cask 14($70) - i absolutely loved this - loved the smooth finish. bought it again and am slowly going thru this(cuz my wife drank most of it the first time around in her hot toddy's). (i recently used this for my bbq sauce too...came out excellent - used about 3/4 of a cup(recipe calls for 2 tablespoons i was like screw that, the more the merrier)

next up for sampling is

glenmorangie 18yr extremely rare($110)

after that i am not entirely sure which to try. was thinking maybe a macallen but i will decide when i am at the store (Store i go to has ~100 or so different single malt whisky's in stock - from ~20 dollars a bottle to ~350 a bottle))

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Laphroaig is good if you want a super peaty scotch. We have a few cask strength bottles floating around here at the office and I find the higher proof actually mellows out the punch of peat.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Laphroaig is good if you want a super peaty scotch. We have a few cask strength bottles floating around here at the office and I find the higher proof actually mellows out the punch of peat.

I'll second this - Laphroaig is a cracking peaty whisky. If you've got the cash to splash out get the quarter cask or 18 year old for best results. Best drink half the bottle in the first sitting to acquire the proper taste for it.

I've no idea if this gets exported that widely but on the other end of the scale Old Pultney is a great light whisky, everything from the 12 year old up is well worth a bottle.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I started drinking Scotch about 3-4 months ago, I really love it. My preferences in the Islay style, the more burnt band-aid the better. Been enjoying Laphroaig 10.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
If you guys like Laphroaig 10 be sure to try out Laphroaig Quarter Cask and of course Lagavulin 16. Those three are on my top 10 list. I tried Ardbeg 10 and did not care for it at all. I wonder how common it is to get a bad bottle of something?

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
A personal collection... I'd be curious how much was put into this and how much it is all worth now. There are a few bottles worth thousands (3rd party) in the line-up.

(This is a collection of a friend's, friend)

IMG_0200108.JPG

Last edited:
  • 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Can't say I agree with the notion of 1792 being just as good as Pappy, but it is still a good bourbon none-the-less.

Got lucky on Friday when picking up beer that they just got a case of Weller Antique in. Don't need any more bourbon but fuck it, difficult finding any Weller outside of the cheap Special Reserve. $40 bottle of Antique will likely fetch me $200'ish in a month or so if I decide to go that route (it is great bourbon, but a bourbon worth selling instead)...

I remember having a bottle of Weller about a decade ago that I swear was called 'Old Weller' and it was great. I have tried to find it since and can never pinpoint what I actually drank. It was about 60 for the bottle.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I remember having a bottle of Weller about a decade ago that I swear was called 'Old Weller' and it was great. I have tried to find it since and can never pinpoint what I actually drank. It was about 60 for the bottle.

It could be Old Weller Antique you indeed had. It is pretty damn good, I ended up keeping the bottle and drinking it dry with a few friends while we played pool and smoked some RoMa Craft cigars (a must if anyone here is a cigar smoker).

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It could be Old Weller Antique you indeed had. It is pretty damn good, I ended up keeping the bottle and drinking it dry with a few friends while we played pool and smoked some RoMa Craft cigars (a must if anyone here is a cigar smoker).

Holy shit, I just looked up some pictures and found one of an older bottle with a paper looking label that was exactly what we had! The newer bottle is just glass, no paper, which is why I didn't recognize it. I tell people to this day that it was my favorite whisky (I cannot get over the peat flavor of most scotch so I stick only to whisky).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Lately I've been really liking Old Forrester 1870 edition. It's so good, I haven't bought anything else in months. I tried their 1897 edition but didn't like it as much. It's hard to get any of the rarer stuff here, since the ABC stores do all that shit by lottery, but I was impressed by this, especially since I always kind of considered Old Forrester to be semi-shit tier.

Last edited:

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Lately I've been really liking Old Forrester 1870 edition. It's so good, I haven't bought anything else in months. I tried their 1897 edition but didn't like it as much. It's hard to get any of the rarer stuff here, since the ABC stores do all that shit by lottery, but I was impressed by this, especially since I always kind of considered Old Forrester to be semi-shit tier.

1870 is pretty good, I've been impressed with their special series line-up in general (I think they need to modify their prices a tad however). Have you tried the Old Forester '1920 Prohibition?' I have been consuming that at an unhealthy rate (115 proof definitely isn't helping). This is becoming my absolute favorite 'generally available' bourbon. Only downside is it costs ~$45-55 here in Kentucky.

I believe it has somewhat limited availability (or atleast did at one point) outside of Kentucky's surrounding states however.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have seen it in the store, but I didn't pick it up. I will give it a shot, although I feel like 115 proof might end in tragedy.