Whiskey

Xinth

Trakanon Raider
My go-to whisky has been Johnnie Walker Black Label, which I drink neat. Currently looking for alternatives that have similar level of smokiness. I will appreciate your suggestions.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
1870 is pretty good, I've been impressed with their special series line-up in general (I think they need to modify their prices a tad however). Have you tried the Old Forester '1920 Prohibition?' I have been consuming that at an unhealthy rate (115 proof definitely isn't helping). This is becoming my absolute favorite 'generally available' bourbon. Only downside is it costs ~$45-55 here in Kentucky.

I believe it has somewhat limited availability (or atleast did at one point) outside of Kentucky's surrounding states however.
Tried out the Prohibition. Yeah, that 115 proof is like fire. It's good, but god damn. I prefer the 1870 to it, but i's definitely good.

60 bucks a bottle for the 1920 here. Right on the verge of the really expensive stuff. the 1870 is 45, a little better.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Went to a nice steak house and ended up paying $150 for 2 oz of Old Pappy 23 year. It was worth it in the end, but would rather blow a load on a bottle if I can ever find one.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
If you had 800.00 budget on a single bottle of something hard what would you buy? We are celebrating!

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why a single bottle? Why not a case of some really good wine, or a few different bottles of really good whisky?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Why a single bottle? Why not a case of some really good wine, or a few different bottles of really good whisky?

I have no idea what I am doing, most expensive alcohol I have ever bought is like 30 bucks. Open to all ideas.

Khane

Well, the layman probably won't notice much difference between a $120 bottle of whiskey vs an $800 bottle of whiskey or an $80 bottle of wine vs a $200 bottle of wine. The differences in those price ranges are usually subtle and very specific, like you have to be looking for them. Hell, there are some $25 bottles of wine that I find just as fantastic as the stuff that costs hundreds. That's why I suggested a case or a mix and match. If you have an $800 budget you can buy several expensive bottles and see what you like best.

As for actual suggestions I don't really have any. The most expensive bottle of whiskey I regularly splurge for is Whistle Pig Rye and only because I've been drinking it and have brand loyalty since I could get it for like $58/bottle. It's almost $90 here now.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I will also suggest Japanese whisky. They're fantastic. Big fan of Nikka Coffey.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Alternative: about 40 large bottles of Evan Williams. That could make for an exciting celebration.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Well, the layman probably won't notice much difference between a $120 bottle of whiskey vs an $800 bottle of whiskey or an $80 bottle of wine vs a $200 bottle of wine. The differences in those price ranges are usually subtle and very specific, like you have to be looking for them.

Translation: Expensive liquor is not about what it tastes like, it's all about signaling that you are rich and superior. It's proven every time someone challenges so-called experts to a blind taste test. Everyone buys the most expensive shit that they can comfortably afford and then pretends to be able to appreciate it while their friends are watching. Figure out how many bottles you need, divide that into 800, and buy whatever uses up your budget and then you can all sit around and pretend to appreciate it and feel good about yourselves. The actual flavor is secondary to the story you're telling yourself.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Translation: Expensive liquor is not about what it tastes like, it's all about signaling that you are rich and superior. It's proven every time someone challenges so-called experts to a blind taste test. Everyone buys the most expensive shit that they can comfortably afford and then pretends to be able to appreciate it while their friends are watching. Figure out how many bottles you need, divide that into 800, and buy whatever uses up your budget and then you can all sit around and pretend to appreciate it and feel good about yourselves. The actual flavor is secondary to the story you're telling yourself.
That might be true for wine but its not true for whisky. If all whisky tastes like jack to someone, they have no taste buds.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Ardbeg Twenty-something is a damn fine 22 year old scotch. Runs like 550 bucks or so but I'd probably do what others said and get a handful of other nice, more reasonable bottles. You aren't likely to get your "money's worth" if you aren't an experienced scotch drinker. Stuff like Ardbeg Uigeadail, Glenrothes 18 year or the Hibiki 17 year should all be all the list.

Khane

That might be true for wine but its not true for whisky. If all whisky tastes like jack to someone, they have no taste buds.

I don't think he's trying to say it all tastes the same. He's saying the same thing I am. Once you get to a certain price point you're paying for the name rather than the liquid.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Went to a nice steak house and ended up paying $150 for 2 oz of Old Pappy 23 year. It was worth it in the end, but would rather blow a load on a bottle if I can ever find one.

Got 2 2oz pours for 50 a pop at grand floridian in 2017. Worth every penny.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shots of Segrams 7 American is my style. Get 1/2 gallon of that shit for like $30. Its fucking smooth too. Not harsh or bitter like some of the other cheap shit. Im not a big drinker, more of a binger every few weeks with the wife.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I don't think he's trying to say it all tastes the same. He's saying the same thing I am. Once you get to a certain price point you're paying for the name rather than the liquid.
I read that differently. If that is what he meant then sure, you are both correct.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
buy a few bottles from each of the different regions / countries and take a tour of flavour country