Whiskey

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I usually put an ice cube or two into scotch/bourbon. I rarely drink it neat anymore unless I am trying it for the first time.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've enjoyed it this weekend. Guess I'm a whiskey vagina because after trying to sip a couple fingers neat I have gone to like two ice cubes. Next weekend I'll try a different bottle to try a compare and start building a profile.

Also quite a change drinking slower than my usual vodka cocktails where I can go through 750 mL in like a day and a half. Or maybe I just have a problem.

edit: okay found a bottle of Chivas 12 year or something in the back of my cabinet, must have bought it for a conference or something. This is very different. I'm hammered.
I usually start out with a splash of water and an ice cube
Then after a couple I'm down to just the ice cube
then after a couple more drinking it straight up tastes as smooth as water
Then I end up regretting everything the next day

That's how I drink whiskey

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I actually just prefer the liquor straight. If I do want it chilled I have some whiskey stones I can pop into the glass so it doesn't water it down. But I really don't use those too often.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I prefer neat with a few exceptions and none of those are less than ~116 proof (for bourbon anyways scotch is different). If I do add water, then I hold an ice cube in my hand and let a few drops of melt between my fingers.

A few drops can open up a high proof or very complex whiskey, but too much cold or water will dull the flavor. The cold cubes are better than ice, but I don't want to take the edge off. Like most things in life the edges are the best parts.

#snobbingit

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tea also gets the benefit of using pure Kentucky water in his ice cubes to properly dilute his bourbons unlike us plebeians.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone try Costco's Kirkland-brand Kentucky bourbon? Says its a 7-year aged bourbon. Only $22 for a 1L bottle. Some quick internet sleuthing seems to confirm that it is made by the same distillery as Buffalo Trace, but tastes more like Jim Beam Black.

Just bought a bottle, will report back after the weekend.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Anyone try Costco's Kirkland-brand Kentucky bourbon? Says its a 7-year aged bourbon. Only $22 for a 1L bottle. Some quick internet sleuthing seems to confirm that it is made by the same distillery as Buffalo Trace, but tastes more like Jim Beam Black.

Just bought a bottle, will report back after the weekend.
You think whisky for 22 bucks a bottle has a chance of being non shitty? Good luck.

I've been drinking Yamazaki lately and pretty much exclusively. Its great.

Also i finally tried some Pappy Van Winkley rye the other week, pretty good shit as well.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You think whisky for 22 bucks a bottle has a chance of being non shitty? Good luck.

I've been drinking Yamazaki lately and pretty much exclusively. Its great.

Also i finally tried some Pappy Van Winkley rye the other week, pretty good shit as well.
If it wasn't Costco, I'd say 0% chance. Costco is pretty surprising with their liquor sometimes...

I have a friend that LOVES their anejo tequila, and it's cheap as shit, like $14 for a 1L bottle

Kirkland Signature Tequila Anejo - Tequila Reviews at TEQUILA.net

fris

Vyemm Raider
20 years of drinking, and Crown Royal is still my fav. just ice and crown. in the few years pre 21 and a few after, there was the rum& coke phase everyone goes through, which leaad to crown and coke as i wanted to seem cooler. one day an old man told me it was a sin to mix code w/ good whiskey. crown and ice ever since.

i try various scotches from time to time. Oban is hella smooth, but a bit pricey to drink regularly.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kirkland branded stuff is legit. I thought I read that it was basically the real stuff just different label for the vodka at least. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for whiskey and tequila and others.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I just tried the Kirkland Bourbon. It's like a punch to your entire body at once. Not smooth at all, quite abrasive, but a fairly nice flavour. Adding ice and letting it sit a bit helps.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Yeah The Kirkland bourbon is quite strong but good for rum and cokes. I'm not sure how good it would work in other cocktails. My wife really likes their gin, though.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
After years of trying every whiskey I could get my hands on, I pretty much only drink two products now. Michter's for rye, and W.L. Weller for bourbon. I find everything (reasonably priced) else mostly disappointing.