Whiskey

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm looking for a decent $20 bottle of whiskey for the weekend. I normally drink Templeton Rye which is $40 but money is tight right now and I need something a little bit cheaper to drink.

I'll take suggestions too for more expensive whiskey when money frees up a little.

Rime

<Donor>
Tullamore Dew is what I drink, during those rare events that I have to have a drink. Though that is because it was the drink of my Grandfather.

Around $25 for a 750ml bottle.

If you like it, you can try the 12 Year Special ($35ish) or the 10 Year Single ($40+). I have not had the 12 Year, but I have enjoyed a few glasses of the 10 year when visiting my Grandfather.

Urgoslav

Treasured Member
Been drinking Forty Creek: Barrel Select, fairly cheap Canadian whiskey but I've enjoyed it. $20-$25

Forty_Creek_Whisky_Barrel_Select-262x350.jpg

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
$20 dollar bottle recommendations:
Rittenhouse 100
1792 ridgemont reserve
Eagle rare

$30 dollar bottles:
Elmer t lee
Rowans creek

$40+ bottles:
Noah's mill
Willett family reserve rye
Blantons

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Check out the liquor thread at the bottom of this page. It has some good suggestions.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Try Canadian Club rye whiskey. It's a lot of bang for the buck.
Even more bang for the buck is Canadian Mist. About 17$ for 1.75 litres. Neither are awesome whiskey, and both are rye based, but they're better than a kick in the head with a frozen boot.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Rebel Yell is good standard affordable whiskey. Costs $20.99 for a handle at my local liquor store. That's my maintstay drinkin' whiskey.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Rebel Yell is good standard affordable whiskey. Costs $20.99 for a handle at my local liquor store. That's my maintstay drinkin' whiskey.
Seconded. Actually a very drinkable bourbon and as good or better than many 40-50 dollar bottles.

If you find yourself with some extra disposable income at some point in the future and you like Rye whiskies I'd recommend Whistle Pig. It'll run you about $80 for a bottle but goddamn is it good.

Tea_sl

shitlord
It's fucking crazy to me that you guys are recommending Canadian club and rebel yell*. Drink what you like, but Jesus.

Recommendations from what I like best to almost as much in the $20 - $25 range:

Elmer T. Lee
Rittenhouse 100
Sazerac Rye
W. L. Weller

I could keep going, but pick one of those.

*rebel yell isn't horrible, but there's much, much better out there. I also can't think of a $40+ bourbon that it would hold a candle to, and I've had nearly all of them.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Early Times is fucking awful, Rebel Yell was my go-to dirt cheap whiskey in college.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I didn't get to try the Templeton when I was in Iowa, is it good?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This stuff is pretty cheap. I don't know if I'd call it great, but it does have the distinction of being mentioned in a couple episodes of Mad Men and it was supposedly drunk by Charles Bukowski. It has high rye content similar to Bulleit so it would be considered a "full bodied" bourbon. If you're used to Crown Royal this stuff will kick your ass.

DSC_0464.jpg

My old Granddad always used to have a bottle of this under the kitchen sink. I never saw him take a drink in my life, but he must have snuck one now and then. I mostly thought it was funny because the only person I knew that drank it matched the name on the bottle.

Tea_sl

shitlord
My granddad also drank the Old Grand Dad. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's hardly good either. Sometimes I buy a handle.

If you gonna drink swill whiskey in the $10 price range, may I recommend you go with scotch. Cheap scotch at least has a pleasant peat smoke flavor to go along with the uhh... generous cuts of swill whiskey.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Cheap scotch is like drinking liquid gravel
This is crap. Sorry, I don't mean disrespect. But no one, not even the very rich, are opening the finest Scotch every time they pour a drink. Try a bunch of cheaper stuff, find what you enjoy, have that on hand. Hence this thread - ask for suggestions. Good idea.

I have very good, very expensive stuff. I don't drink it every time I pour something to sip on.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well to be fair im not a big fan of scotch anyways, so I've had some cheap ones that seemed overly harsh, even good ones are a little rough compared to what i usually drink(whiskey/bourbon)