Who died? (Celebrity Deaths)

Cybsled

It's a sobering thought that within the next 10 years, for the most part there really won't be any WW2 combat vets left.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It's a sobering thought that within the next 10 years, for the most part there really won't be any WW2 combat vets left.
Nobody gets out of this life alive. When the vets of the Civil War disappeared between the world wars their era became lionized and became a large part of our shared culture in the form of TV and movies that continues to be popular today. WWI has already started the same arc, and over the next 10-20 years WW2 will be everywhere as well. Odds are we will be repeating it too, so that will amplify that effect.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's pretty hard to find anyone who even remembers WWII now. If you were 5 years old when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor you are in your late 80's now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

A cult cartoonist who worked for Marvel Comics has died after penning a heartbreaking letter on social media saying he was 'murdered' by online trolls.

Award-winning comic book artist Ed Piskor, who gained a massive following for his graphic novels and work on Marvel's X-Men: Grand Design, died on Monday at the age of 41, his family confirmed.

A cause of death was not given, however, hours earlier the Pennsylvania native took to Facebook to share what appears to be a suicide note, condemning internet bullies and cancel culture in a 2,497-word farewell.

The tragic post came days after allegations that Piskor had sent sexual messages to a 17-year-old girl swept the internet, and saw him lose a $75,000 webcomic deal, while his upcoming art exhibition at Pittsburgh Cultural Trust was postponed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's pretty hard to find anyone who even remembers WWII now. If you were 5 years old when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor you are in your late 80's now.
thats not good news for "the tribe". people are already questioning whether the Holocaust ever actually happened. in a decade when all the survivors are dead, its gonna just be second hand accounts.

• 1Galaxy Brain

BunkyChutt

Poet Warrior
thats not good news for "the tribe". people are already questioning whether the Holocaust ever actually happened. in a decade when all the survivors are dead, its gonna just be second hand accounts.
Deeply saddening.
I remember growing up and my gramps telling us stories and showing us his ww2 scrolls, weapons, fans, matches, coins, and other neat things he had while fighting in Japan . And then after the war was over he was sent back twice this time as part of the cleanup and rebuilding of Japan. cleaning bunkers.

Anyway, Louis Gossett Jr., Toby Keith, and Carl weathers this year were very disheartening for me.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I just watched a long series on ww2 on youtube. Really wish I could have had all this knowledge when I was younger. Would have been fascinating to talk to my grandparents about it, though I suspect they knew nothing of the machinations behind it all.

Cybsled

I used to ask my grandfather about it when I was younger, but he only would talk about funny stories (like the time some natives scammed them out of their salt rations) or stories about close calls mostly. Like he mentioned the camo netting the Japanese used had a really distinct smell, so when he was on scouting/recon, he and the other guys had to pretend they weren’t aware it was there until they were clear of the area.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
My dad met my mom in Italy at the end of the war. As much as I wanted to know about WWII, they never said a word to me about it. All I know is that he signed up days after Pearl Harbor and retired from the military 20 years later. My grandmother who came from Italy to live with us in the early 60s, also never spoke about it. As kids, we were not allowed to watch TV shows about the war and Hogan's Heros was especially offensive to my mom who only said, prisoner of war camps were not funny.

Goatface

he passed away couple years ago, but next neighbor enlisted (navy) in early 42 while he was still in high school. he left for training before the school year was finished. once he joked he didn't get his high school diploma and his wife said that was because you were in the pacific during graduation. i used to fix his internet and in his office were pictures of his ship and crew. he was a torpedo man. when a ship went out they would load it with torpedoes and when it came back unload them. don't think he ever saw combat. he would talk about just simple stuff. did say sailors would play with the torpedoes and sometimes they would be armed with they returned.
can't remember the name of his ship and never could find a list of torpedo supply boats, but he had a story about the ship being used for some top secret testing. a team came in, took over the lower decks were the torpedoes were setup and armed guards were stationed at all the access points. who had orders to shoot anyone that tried to pass, even the captain.

it was sad he passed during covid and didn't get a proper funeral.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Both of my grandfathers were in the Korean War. I remember my mother’s father telling a few stories but they weren’t about combat. Those were when I was pretty young, and I never asked him about the war when I got older. He was a pretty upbeat guy til the end though, whatever he saw didn’t break him.
My wife’s family is Korean, her grandmother escaped now NK before it was completely closed off. She wouldn’t ever talk about it or the years following. My mother in law was 3 or 4 when they fled. She remembers playing in the forest in SK a few years later with her friends and coming across people who had hung themselves. Should probably get video of them recounting whatever they remember.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
My grandfather was 11-12 when Japan invaded the Phillippines in 1941. The only thing he would ever tell us about that time was having to live/hide in the jungle for over a year.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

• 3Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Damn, was just listening to them earlier while driving. RIP

• 1Like

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
That sucks. I usually listen to my Firehouse CD a couple times per month. Always brings back good memories of the early 90's.

• 1Like