Wii U No More

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Do you guys think Nintendo would actually make more money by being a 3rd party software maker and just selling all their games on all consoles and maybe....gulp....pc? They could still do their handheld devices but for christ sake, give up the consoles already.

I'm pretty sure every gamer on the planet would rejoice if they actually went this route.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I just wish monster hunter could be played on PC with friends like on the DS. Its such a shame that game is only on the handheld. Its incredible.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I gonna admit that my Wii U saw more action than my PS4 and PC in the last year. Might be because of my child.

I played Splatoon, Mario Maker, SSMB, Bayonetta 2 and currently playing Pokken and Zelda Twillight HD. My PS4 was my Bloodborne machine...
frown.png
I haven't touched more of my PC since I stopped playing GW2.

I don't know if I should feel bad about it but I enjoy splatoon a hell lot.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you guys think Nintendo would actually make more money by being a 3rd party software maker and just selling all their games on all consoles and maybe....gulp....pc? They could still do their handheld devices but for christ sake, give up the consoles already.

I'm pretty sure every gamer on the planet would rejoice if they actually went this route.
Nintendo is hellbent on creating stupid gimmicks for their systems. The 3ds comes to mind immediately, because literally every person I know who owns one turned the slider for 3d down to none and has left it there since purchasing the system. The only games I played on the Wii were the ones that didn't require the nunchuck for everything (MHTri was mostly just the controller, with the nunchuck being used to "capture" monster information) and I haven't had anything to do with the Wii U. The problem is, because of their first party games and the relative quality, they can afford to have these dumb gimmicks and underpowered systems which they sell at a profit to keep it moving.

I would love it if Nintendo licensed out their properties to the real consoles/PCs, because the market penetration is gigantic compared to Wii U's. But as long as they can keep pumping out Pokemon/Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros games for sub-par systems, the built in fanbase and nostalgia fanatics are going to keep them in the game for awhile yet. Pokemon Go is probably going to be lackluster, but you can bet it is going to sell a shitload with all the royalties heading to Nintendo and Gamefreak.

As for the Monster Hunter stuff... that's just Capcom being Crapcom still. It was a PS2 series that was moved to Nintendo Consoles for reasons. It's probably also fueled by the much lower development costs for aiming at hardware somewhere around a gamecube or PS2-at-release level of power, and not having to compete graphically with modern games. I like the look, but it would look like trash in HD unless they did a lot of skin work.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I gonna admit that my Wii U saw more action than my PS4 and PC in the last year. Might be because of my child.

I played Splatoon, Mario Maker, SSMB, Bayonetta 2 and currently playing Pokken and Zelda Twillight HD. My PS4 was my Bloodborne machine...
frown.png
I haven't touched more of my PC since I stopped playing GW2.

I don't know if I should feel bad about it but I enjoy splatoon a hell lot.
I'm not a console player anymore, but I did buy one of these for my daughter a few years ago and for that alone I got my money's worth, considering the WiiU titles we had the backlog of Wii games from the previous system. I agree though that Nintendo really excels at their own IP's/titles anymore which makes me wonder why they haven't gone the Sega route and just stick to software only.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

This, I want all there exclusive games on all the consoles.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Consoles/Controllers where your hands are going to obscure part of the screen simply by playing it are really, really stupid ideas. Like, among the worst ever.
This isn't the main controller. It's a VR accessory
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Most companies take a loss on console sales I thought - so they would undoubtedly make more money. Also no one I knew bought a WiiU, so their software sales for that must've been quite low.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sony/Microsoft don't make much (or anything) on consoles, true, but Nintendo actually did. Primarily because their hardware was so... old. That combined with having total control over their IPs, profit, lower development costs, etc. probably makes it a very grey area. I sold my Wii long before the Wii U came out and never bought the U, and doubt I'll buy the NX, but a LOT of people still bought the Wii U.

koljec_sl

shitlord

This question gets asked over and over again. So let's say it happened. Here's how I would imagine it:

Nintendo makes a killing in game sales for about 2 to 3 years or until every historic IP has had its next iteration (Mario 3D 2, MarioKart 9, Bayonetta 3, etc.), whichever comes first. It's a smashing success, but for the first time, some Nintendo games have some noticeable bugs.

But at the same time, NX sales tank because there's no need to purchase the console; Playstations, Xboxes, PCs, and tablets/phones play the games well enough.

Nintendo loses its hardware presence in the home, that reliable, family friendly unit, hanging out somewhere around the TV for over 3 decades.

Nintendo resigns itself to games only. But when it puts out Mario 3D 3, MarioKart 10, and Bayonetta 4, it's not the same world-wide event, there are simultaneous releases of competing games (now in direct sales competition because there is no console exclusivity), and the Nintendo games don't sell as well. Making matters worse, a couple of the games have even more severe bugs because Nintendo can't control the hardware.

At that point, Nintendo is at best a Blizzard that never had WoW, and they decline until they are bought by some media conglomerate. Then the autonomous and historic Nintendo is dead.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Nintendo: "Hey guys everyone wants this giant fucking controller and old-ass cpu and graphics"
You can use the Pro controller. Nothing was ever tied directly to the Pad and only very few games required a Wiimote. And as for old-ass underpowered hardware ... well its a console. They all blow. At least Nintendo makes games which are fun to play on the couch with other people instead of just being a poor man's PC.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Nintendo is great at what they do best: their own IP's. That in itself is enough for me to buy every one of their consoles (except the WiiU, didn't buy that one), and I've more than gotten my money's worth out of each of them. The Gamecube is probably the most underrated system of all time. Zelda: WW, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart: DD, Resident Evil 4 (which was a Gamecube exclusive at the time), etc. I will definitely wind up buying the new Nintendo system because it'll have a new version of all of their hits, and that's more than what you get from most Playstation and X-box games. Nintendo games are just fun as shit to play.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can use the Pro controller. Nothing was ever tied directly to the Pad and only very few games required a Wiimote. And as for old-ass underpowered hardware ... well its a console. They all blow. At least Nintendo makes games which are fun to play on the couch with other people instead of just being a poor man's PC.
You say a poor man's PC but how many games for the PC now are just ports (shitty) of console games. I take it you do not own a current-gen console. Games like Bloodborne make the purchase of a PS4 a no-brainer.

spronk

FPS noob
Nintendo is like Microsoft, HP or Dell, unless something dramatic happens in the marketspace their path is clear and unfortunate with little prospects of real growth. They will continue to release shitty, underpowered systems with gimmicks and profits will decrease every year but they can keep chugging along on fans and stuff like amiibos and toys.

At some point a company like Disney, Vivendi, Universal, etc will just straight up buy them for the IP. Mario, Zelda/Link, etc are worth $5-10b+ to anyone who wants to make movies, phone apps, TV shows, toys, and theme parks alone. The ONLY reason it hasn't happened already is that Nintendo is a japanese company and its really hard to do a hostile takeover there. If they were a European or American company they would be part of Disney right now.

Nintendo is currently worth ~$20 billion USD in the stock market (2T yen) and has cash of around $10 billion. Thats how poorly valued investors think the company is, that all of Nintendo is valued at slightly more than the worth of its assets with little hope for actual growth.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nintendo resigns itself to games only. But when it puts out Mario 3D 3, MarioKart 10, and Bayonetta 4, it's not the same world-wide event, there are simultaneous releases of competing games (now in direct sales competition because there is no console exclusivity), and the Nintendo games don't sell as well. Making matters worse, a couple of the games have even more severe bugs because Nintendo can't control the hardware.
This wouldn't happen. Every Nintendo release would be a big fucking deal.

As for shitty ports, it's a reason why I mainly buy games on console over PC now if they are multi-platform. Unless you want to wait a year or two for the game to be patched up to be superior, the console version is almost always better now. Sucks.

koljec_sl

shitlord
You say a poor man's PC but how many games for the PC now are just ports (shitty) of console games. I take it you do not own a current-gen console. Games like Bloodborne make the purchase of a PS4 a no-brainer.
Right, so it's the console exclusives that justify the console. And I agree, Bloodborne made me consider buying a PS4. So did Disgaea. But that's just 2 games out of so much junk or stuff that was dressed up from its PS3 release. The next Tekken (not sure if it will be exclusive), when it comes out, will probably make me take a look at he PS4 lineup and price point.

XBOne: I can't understand why anyone would buy this system.

WiiU: Mario games, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Wonderful 101...all exclusive, decent games on a console that can be bought for half the price of a PS4withouta monthly subscription...and a lot of these games have local multiplayer that's fun for just about anyone.

PC: Meh. The last game I bought and have substantially enjoyed was Darkest Dungeon, and that hardly justifies a state of the art CPU or GPU. I am going to give Black Desert a try.

It's hard to defend Nintendo. They are obviously not as competitive as they could be. and they are alone in providing support for their products. Their eShop is full of junk, and they don't make enough online multiplayer. But there are many good games.

If the Wii U is Nintendo's swan song, so be it. It delivered more with less. PS4 is delivering much more modestly considering its specs and market advantage. I would be more disappointed with that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nintendo is like Microsoft, HP or Dell, unless something dramatic happens in the marketspace their path is clear and unfortunate with little prospects of real growth. They will continue to release shitty, underpowered systems with gimmicks and profits will decrease every year but they can keep chugging along on fans and stuff like amiibos and toys.

At some point a company like Disney, Vivendi, Universal, etc will just straight up buy them for the IP. Mario, Zelda/Link, etc are worth $5-10b+ to anyone who wants to make movies, phone apps, TV shows, toys, and theme parks alone. The ONLY reason it hasn't happened already is that Nintendo is a japanese company and its really hard to do a hostile takeover there. If they were a European or American company they would be part of Disney right now.

Nintendo is currently worth ~$20 billion USD in the stock market (2T yen) and has cash of around $10 billion. Thats how poorly valued investors think the company is, that all of Nintendo is valued at slightly more than the worth of its assets with little hope for actual growth.
You know that Dell just purchased EMC for like $70 billion right? HP has substantial server and desktop market shares. No one can even touch Microsoft.

Nintendo is a very small fish compared to those 3 businesses.

koljec_sl

shitlord
This wouldn't happen. Every Nintendo release would be a big fucking deal.
To me, too. Nintendo is like the Willy Wonka of gaming to me. But what happens when Mario Kart X releases against Gran Tourismo X when both are available on PS4?