Wii U No More

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I think with Nintendo AR sounds more likely than VR. Especially with the new Pokemon Go game they're making.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I think with Nintendo AR sounds more likely than VR. Especially with the new Pokemon Go game they're making.
Whatever flavour it is, it's no coincidence that that thing (if legit) is exactly the width and shape of your field of vision when held up to your face.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I really don't know what to think. If those clip on a VR headset I would be impressed and the shape would kinda make sense. Controller wise Nintendo have been the king of backward compatibility so I would not be surprised if the Wii U, Wii u pro controller, wiimote or even a 3DS could work.(just look how they made it possible so the second player in splatoon to use motion aiming by strapping a Wiimote to a Wii u screenshot controller with elastic.)

Nintendo have a ton of cash and I while they prolly didn't done lots of money off the console they prolly made a ton of the amiibo.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So using the HDMI cable in the picture as a standard measurement, it looks like those sticks have 12cm of space between them, and the unit is 20cm wide. I don't know about you guys, but my eyes are 10cm wide from outside edge to outside edge - and I'm a big dude. At 12 cm apart, those sticks are well into my periphery.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty close to some of the drawings that people made after the patent leaked in December.

nintendo_controller_patent_nx_3__large.jpg

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If that controller can actually be clipped into a normal controller (like in the the picture above) that would be pretty cool. Basically, if the controller can be used for both playing the system at home on a television, and also be used as a portable system (and is not a gigantic eyesore like the WiiU controller) then why are people bitching about it?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm interested and can see where they might be going with this. Problem is I fucking HATE phone games because of controls. Now I get that same experience on a console. Would have to try before I buy for sure.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm interested and can see where they might be going with this. Problem is I fucking HATE phone games because of controls. Now I get that same experience on a console. Would have to try before I buy for sure.
For me, I'd rather have the physical buttons like in the first picture, than the virtual buttons that are shown in the second. Unless it is extremely responsive and fluid, it would be really problematic.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
It's all going to come back to haptics to be honest. But I'm on the same boat. I'll try it, but a lack of physical buttons has me extremely cautious.

Also, apparently Wii U will still be in production. Was just a rumor from what I understand.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Either way, it is a complete waste of screen real estate. The screen will be rendering shit we won't even see because our hands will be in the way. If that's how it works, whoever designed that should be fired. (It is the same problem with games being controlled on the phone)

spronk

FPS noob
nintendo is saying its fake, but of course they would say that wouldn't they! The conspiracy deepens! haha

I don't get people who say this would have ANYTHING to do with VR. How the fuck would you stick this in front of your face if there are two giant buttons staring right into your eyes? Plus Nintendo is like 10 years behind the curve on technology always.

some mockups, the good and bad...

LwdiSnM.gif

XqsDK3X.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Starting to wonder if this is just some retarded viral marketing ploy to get everyone talking about it leading up to E3.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's plenty of articles saying that shutting down Wii U production is bullshit too

I don't know who to believe.

That controller can go right into the fucking trash.

Siliconemelons

I like my WiiU, and I like the controller and the ability to play games on it in bed etc. I am GLAD they ditched the wiimote targeting stuff ruined Metroid prime 2-3 compared to 1- heck the Zelda Twilight Princess HD ditches motion and lets you just use the pro or wiipad control and its much better of a game not having the motion controls.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
There's plenty of articles saying that shutting down Wii U production is bullshit too

I don't know who to believe.

That controller can go right into the fucking trash.
I actually like that controller, but only if it can be clipped into something with handles (so it's more like a PS controller). I don't think I'd like it just the way it is. Seems far too rounded and it seems like your hands with obscure a large amount of the viewing area.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
whats really crazy is how good the Wii U emulator CEMU has gotten - running Super Mario 3D World at 60 fps
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/853r.mp4?_=1

It also currently runs MK8 I think and since the good library of Wii U games is like a dozen tops, it shouldn't be long till all of them are playable on PC.
For me it's two games: Bayonetta 2 and Fatal Frame 5. Last I heard they both crash instantly on load, so no way to even get an idea what sort of performance they are at now. I'll be pretty surprised if it ever runs Bayonetta 2 well enough to really enjoy but Fatal Frame 5 I'm at least optimistic about being playable someday.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
nintendo is saying its fake, but of course they would say that wouldn't they! The conspiracy deepens! haha

I don't get people who say this would have ANYTHING to do with VR. How the fuck would you stick this in front of your face if there are two giant buttons staring right into your eyes? Plus Nintendo is like 10 years behind the curve on technology always.

some mockups, the good and bad...

LwdiSnM.gif

XqsDK3X.png
I really don't think the screen is going to be used for the actual game. Like, imagine this pic but with just the buttons. The buttons can also change depending on whats happening. As for using the screen for the actual game, I think that'll be rare.