Wii U No More

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I kinda want to buy a Wii U now
tongue.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
To me, too. Nintendo is like the Willy Wonka of gaming to me. But what happens when Mario Kart X releases against Gran Tourismo X when both are available on PS4?
Mario Kart is actually fun to play and GT is boring as fuck so .... MK would sell better?

spronk

FPS noob
NX controller pictures : NintendoNX

pkfWmFK.jpg

• Only the upper 'nubs' of the sticks move. The bottom part is static (kind of like the circle pad, but it moves along the bottom 'sphere'.
  • The rollers on the top feel and look pretty much identical to a mouse scroll-wheel. Though I do don't believe this will be the final design.
  • Haptic feedback is feels like Apples 'taptic' engine. Not like regular rumble.
  • 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If that's they're controller I expect the NX to tap out early, too.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I assume it has buttons on the bottom? Either way, looks awful.

spronk

FPS noob
its the (prototype) controller for the NX console a 3d party dev has confirmed, and not a standalone handheld

so yeah RIP Nintendo maybe they will bundle it with 100 amiibo's so all the weaboo's line up for a week to buy it

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
To me, too. Nintendo is like the Willy Wonka of gaming to me. But what happens when Mario Kart X releases against Gran Tourismo X when both are available on PS4?
They're completely different games. Items and whacky track hijinks change everything. GT doesn't have blue turtle shells right?

koljec_sl

shitlord
Detective-GAF is on the case

(Massive makes The Division)
So is this Massive being a bunch of assholes, or is it Massive trying to change Nintendo before it's too late?

Whether it's for a console or just a handheld, that controller looks small and awkward to hold.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
That thing looks borderline useless, at least the current gamepad has buttons. I am not playing any real games without some gd buttons.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure the buttons are actually on the screen like on ipad. Digital buttons as it were.

That's what I thought from the mock ups I've seen before

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Sounds like Nintendo right now.

I used to love Nintendo, they were honestly the best content producers for so long and then... this.
They still are the best content producers, by a long shot. There's like 20ish exclusives on the Wii U with a Metacritic over 75, and the bulk of those are Nintendo first or second party games.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Most companies take a loss on console sales I thought - so they would undoubtedly make more money. Also no one I knew bought a WiiU, so their software sales for that must've been quite low.
Nintendo generally breaks even or makes a profit on each console sold. That's why their hardware has been underpowered (that and they don't want to go over a $350 price point). But even the PS4/XB1 were closer to profitability, compared to enormous losses MS/Sony took with the previous generation.

As for software, the Wii U has a boat load of games with over a million sold. Low console sales, but the people who did buy it are buying a lot of software. Splatoon for example has sold over 4 million, which is more than Bloodborne (both new IPs). Mario Kart 8 has over 50% attach rate with ~7 million sales.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Pretty sure the buttons are actually on the screen like on ipad. Digital buttons as it were.

That's what I thought from the mock ups I've seen before
Yeah i figured that is their plan. I am just saying it is a bad one. On screen buttons suck, will not use.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nintendo generally breaks even or makes a profit on each console sold. That's why their hardware has been underpowered (that and they don't want to go over a $350 price point). But even the PS4/XB1 were closer to profitability, compared to enormous losses MS/Sony took with the previous generation.

As for software, the Wii U has a boat load of games with over a million sold. Low console sales, but the people who did buy it are buying a lot of software. Splatoon for example has sold over 4 million, which is more than Bloodborne (both new IPs). Mario Kart 8 has over 50% attach rate with ~7 million sales.
That's basically the whole enchilada. People buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. They certainly aren't objectively going (as an audience) "man I can't wait for X developer to release their Wii U exclusive!" as a reason to purchase the system. It's almost 100% for the Marios/Zeldas/Metroids/etc that are Nintendo console exclusive. Granted, that audience is apparently shrinking to some degree, as they were first to market this generation and are trailing Xbone by about 10m units or so, and the PS4 by 23m or so. Gigantic dropoff from the Wii's numbers, comparatively. There's something like 80m software units sold on a console with around 13m units out there. Granted, that's because there's first/second party games and that's more or less it, with some outliers.

That controller does not give me any hope that they are breaking out of their gimmick shtick, however.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
That thing is almost certainly a dual purpose handheld console/input device + detachable VR helmet screen. There will almost certainly be a separate controller for traditional television gaming with whatever little streaming/processing box comes packaged with the leaked 'controller'.

Nintendo never learns.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
That thing is almost certainly a dual purpose handheld console/input device + detachable VR helmet screen. There will almost certainly be a separate controller for traditional television gaming with whatever little streaming/processing box comes packaged with the leaked 'controller'.

Nintendo never learns.
If it's a console/handheld hybrid and it's created in lieu of a dedicated handheld, it sounds pretty expensive for a goddamn handheld, which is what I'd use it for. Gamecube was the last Nintendo console I bought, but I have every handheld they've ever released. I know IOS/Droid are doing a lot of damage to the more traditional handheld gaming scene, but I'd hate to see it go away.