Wii U

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Personally I'm finding 3D world lacking. I was hoping for a Mario64 vibe from it but it plays more like a 3D platforming Mario with the added hassle of having to find stars. The stages are generally short and linear unlike many stages in 64.
I agree, it's basically the same as the past 3 Mario games, but with 3d. I was hoping it would capture the magic of super Mario world

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
My Wii U will be here on Wednesday. Get to dig into some MK8. Is Mario 3D World worth a purchase?
Super mario 3d world is probably one of the best games I've ever played. However, I say that as someone who hasn't owned a console in forever (strictly pc only for a long time) , so I havent played the galaxies etc. I got it pretty cheap on ebay using a program and I could sell it to make a profit, but I think Ill hold onto it I like it so much. Its not the longest game, but its managed to recapture the love for gaming I had as a kid and is very rare for me to experience these days, especially in a single player game. Haven't even tried the multiplayer yet but it looks like a blast as well. I'd definitely pick it up if I were you.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It wasn't as good as Galaxy 1 and 2 (which are two of the best games ever made, period), but it's still a very good game. It's more fun with multiplayers.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
3D is good, but it's not as good as the Galaxy series or Super Mario 64. Of course, those are some of the greatest games I've ever played.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Wii U arrived. I went to Target. Bought 3 MK8, 1 Mario 3D, 1 Pro Controller, and 3 pre-order cards. Price matched the MK8 and Mario 3D to amazon. Then price matched the controller to Best Buy's $30 sale. Then I applied a 10% coupon. And then purchased the 3 pre-order cards which applied the $15.00 off to every MK8. Once I take the 2 extra MK8 back to best buy and get 2 more pro controllers the haul will be:

MK8, Mario 3D, Mario U, Zelda, Pikman, and 3 pro controllers for, at most, $189.00 (what I paid at Target).

Thanks Spronk!

spronk

FPS noob
can buy a wii u for $234-260+tax this weekend at best buy, use this link to check if any stores near you have it in stock
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo...&skuId=2287013

its $260 on sale ($40 off) if you go to your local post office and pick up a movers packet (change of address packet) there is a coupon inside for 10% off at best buy, use it to drop the price to $234. If you have a best buy credit card you get an additional 10% back in best buy gift card after 30 days. The bundle comes with super mario U and luigi U, still have 1 more day to pickup cheap copies of mario kart 8 at Target and get 4 more games for cheap.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss - NeoGAF

So looks like officially Mario Kart 8 has sold 2.82 million copies in it's first month. That's pretty damn good for a console exclusive.

Nintendo overall still operating at a loss, but the number's aren't as bad as some expected. The boost from this holiday with Smash will be much bigger than the last 2 Christmas numbers I'd wager.

Most worrying is the 3DS numbers, but there hasn't been any major releases for it in a long while with Nintendo first party all being focused on the Wii U. Should get a big boost from Smash and Pokemon next quarter though.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The 3ds is dead tech, as is any mobile platform that doesn't integrate with a (much more powerful) home console via streaming.

If the WiiU2 isnt accompanied by a portable streamer Nintendo is retarded.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The 3ds is dead tech, as is any mobile platform that doesn't integrate with a (much more powerful) home console via streaming.

WiiU2? Nah that makes a touch too much sense. Maybe WiiZ.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider

They have already said that their next console/handheld offerings will be using the same OS so that is very possible.

I think there is still a market for a dedicated handheld gaming device, but the market has obviously shrunk. I absolutely hate touch screen gaming outside of puzzles games like Puzzle & Dragons, 2048, Threes, etc - should still be a need for a handheld device with tactile controls.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yeah touch screen controls are terrible. I recently picked up a Micro USB to USB for my game controller. Just need to find a mount I like for my mobile needs.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
They have already said that their next console/handheld offerings will be using the same OS so that is very possible.

I think there is still a market for a dedicated handheld gaming device, but the market has obviously shrunk. I absolutely hate touch screen gaming outside of puzzles games like Puzzle & Dragons, 2048, Threes, etc - should still be a need for a handheld device with tactile controls.
Absolutely agree. They are just going to have to be a value proposition. The days of having low graphical fidelity handheld exclusive games are over. IMO the portables of the future should just be long range streaming devices with HD screens and console controls that are bundled with their home console.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Well its win win. Dad keeps his TV and can watch shit and Junior can still play his games via the controller or the TV.

I'm not sure Nintendo can keep relying on first party games to drive console sales and every generation of mediocrity worsens their position. They better step it up or risk becoming more and more niche or even obsolete. When most of us were kids Nintendo was it. Not so much today.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Would absolutely not be surprised if the next Nintendo console/handheld pair has the ability to stream HD games from the console to the handheld just like the Wii U and it's Gamepad, for Off TV play. This would mean the next console could have a regular controller (maybe the Wii U Pro controller? which is awesome) as it's default with handheld integration as another controller option and the aforementioned Off TV play. Sort of like how PS4/Vita does it now but without the lag (use built in wireless N that is a closed loop from the console to the handheld instead of the PS4/Vita that uses your WiFi).

Then of course the handheld has it's own games.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well its win win. Dad keeps his TV and can watch shit and Junior can still play his games via the controller or the TV.

I'm not sure Nintendo can keep relying on first party games to drive console sales and every generation of mediocrity worsens their position. They better step it up or risk becoming more and more niche or even obsolete. When most of us were kids Nintendo was it. Not so much today.
They just had a > 40% attach rate on MK8 and LOST $100 million.

I am curious what % of the MK8s sold were already traded in. I personally bought 3, traded in 2. Spronk traded in somewhere around 100 of them.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Big patch coming for Mario Kart 8 on the 27th:

8/27 update to addmap display on the TV screen, 3 free Mercedes-Benz karts: GLA, W25 Silver Arrow, 300 SL Roadster.

Records screen w/ total coins, online win-loss record, character selection rates, etc. being added. Improved online stability.

Default menu selection following GP changing to next race. Last used kart customization added to save. Edit others' highlights.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
im happy about the on screen track. Looking down at the gamepad to see it, sucks.