Wii U

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Makes sense, but $99, or even $199, wouldn't seem to buy much. Maybe a terminal for a really impressive cloud system?
You can get a WiiU + Game(s) for $250 so it isn't a huge leap to think they could try and maintain a similar level of graphical fidelity but at a much lower price point in this day and age. Possibly completely and totally remove motion from the equation so you don't need to make/sense sensors and get rid of the tablet (even if I'm a fan) and right there you've probably saved yourself $60 easy.

koljec_sl

shitlord
You can get a WiiU + Game(s) for $250 so it isn't a huge leap to think they could try and maintain a similar level of graphical fidelity but at a much lower price point in this day and age. Possibly completely and totally remove motion from the equation so you don't need to make/sense sensors and get rid of the tablet (even if I'm a fan) and right there you've probably saved yourself $60 easy.
Cloud-supported system it is:
Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices - NeoGAF

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not necessarily. This could mean a whole lot of things. Locally or not. Cloud or not.

Mostly what it could be is a handheld / console hybrid where the games are dynamically changed based on if the console is being used or the game is strictly on the hand held. (Based on compute power available) It also seems to state that it may have a sharing mechanic that would allow a user sharing their device/access to be able to accumulate some type of currency. (This may explain why Nintendo Points went Bye bye)

koljec_sl

shitlord
Not necessarily. This could mean a whole lot of things. Locally or not. Cloud or not.

Mostly what it could be is a handheld / console hybrid where the games are dynamically changed based on if the console is being used or the game is strictly on the hand held. (Based on compute power available) It also seems to state that it may have a sharing mechanic that would allow a user sharing their device/access to be able to accumulate some type of currency. (This may explain why Nintendo Points went Bye bye)
cloud meets bitcoin then.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I bet it's backwards compatible, but you have to rebuy everything because Nintendo has the worst account system since the inception of computers

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I bet it's backwards compatible, but you have to rebuy everything because Nintendo has the worst account system since the inception of computers
DeNA is working on a new account system for Nintendo - parts of it are already starting to roll out.

If the next console switches to x86 from PowerPC there may not be backwards comparability either.

Also, Xenoblade Chronicles X releases tomorrow - it's sitting at 85 on Metacritic.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
the game awards 2015 show the other day

Splatoon won both best shooter and Best Multiplayer game of 2015.....

getting X today or tomorrow and the new shinen "f-zero" game fast racing when it comes out (15 bucks)

koljec_sl

shitlord
Playing X now. Not sure what to say about it at the moment. I hope I can get used to some of the things (like font size and camera) that I'm finding really annoying.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Is there no option to increase font size? I was looking at the options screen and it has a ton of customization for the UI.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Is there no option to increase font size? I was looking at the options screen and it has a ton of customization for the UI.
haven't found one yet. there are lots of options for the UI, but it mainly seems to be turning specific elements on or off.

apparently the text size problem is a really common complaint. the text size isn't even legible on the gamepad.

I don't remember any of the glowing reviews mentioning this.

If you're on the fence, you might want to wait for a patch. Initial impressions:

the bad:
* disappointing character creation. color choices are about it.
* awful in-game music
* so far the story is mediocre to bad
* text size and UI so small it is a chore to read
* somehow the UI that is so small also takes up a lot of the screen
* game camera needs constant repositioning, especially indoors

the good:
* shows promises of being huge and complex

Bascically, I've been looking forward to this game SO MUCH (for nostalgia's sake I even made my character like Nei from Phantasy Star 2), but right now I have no idea how it rated so well with so many critics.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
haven't found one yet. there are lots of options for the UI, but it mainly seems to be turning specific elements on or off.

apparently the text size problem is a really common complaint. the text size isn't even legible on the gamepad.

I don't remember any of the glowing reviews mentioning this.
Witcher 3 had the same problem (font being hard as hell to read on an HDTV while 6+ feet away) - hopefully they patch it like CDPR did.

Why didn't reviewers catch it in Xenoblade or Witcher 3? Probably because they power through games on 22-23 inch screens where it probably looks fine.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm sad there was no wii u bundle with Xenoblade
frown.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Worried my Wii U Gamepad is kaput. Won't charge without plugging / unplugging the charger multiple times. Won't hold a charge for very long and sometimes won't turn on the Wii. It looks like replacement ones are almost the price of a whole new Wii.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Witcher 3 had the same problem (font being hard as hell to read on an HDTV while 6+ feet away) - hopefully they patch it like CDPR did.

Why didn't reviewers catch it in Xenoblade or Witcher 3? Probably because they power through games on 22-23 inch screens where it probably looks fine.
Yep, playing on a 58" at about 8' away.

A font/ui size patch would definitely help. I think I wouldn't be so angry right now if I didn't have to squint at everything. I've got decent enough eyesight, too.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Fffuuuuuuuu I got it to work but don't have 22.9 gig free on the Wii U to install even after uninstalling everything I can find in Data Management. Trying to unload this external USB drive but it's gonna take 4 hours to move the 200 gig of data on it to my desktop.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Fffuuuuuuuu I got it to work but don't have 22.9 gig free on the Wii U to install even after uninstalling everything I can find in Data Management. Trying to unload this external USB drive but it's gonna take 4 hours to move the 200 gig of data on it to my desktop.
How about moving 30gb off it?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It kind of needs to be done anyways, a bunch of old work stuff from my previous job and don't want to lose it. I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining. Somewhere there are 2 other USB drives but no idea in these boxes of mess. Or if they'll even work on the Wii U.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Worried my Wii U Gamepad is kaput. Won't charge without plugging / unplugging the charger multiple times. Won't hold a charge for very long and sometimes won't turn on the Wii. It looks like replacement ones are almost the price of a whole new Wii.
Try replacing the battery first? They are not that expensive. Think there are some 3rd party ones too.