Wii U

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
I honestly believe Nintendo should just become a third party game developer for consoles. They would sell zillions of copies of games this way. They can keep doing what they do with their mobile gaming machines though, those do well for them especially in other countries. I bought a Wii U and I'm enjoying it but I just hate the fact I have to buy an inferior piece of hardware every generation if I want to enjoy Nintendo titles. I know this may never happen and Nintendo scoffs at the mere suggestion of it, but I can dream right?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder how many Wii U consoles have to sell before 3rd parties start making games for it again. Not that Ireallycare. The offerings of very few console companies interest me besides Nintendo's own software. I've always found Nintendo gaming experiences vastly superior to most of what's out there. I'm struggling to even think of any non-Nintendo console exclusives I ever really gave a shit about... Uncharted, ya... The Last of Us, sure... God of War... Bayonetta was more fun anyway...

The only thing that will really piss me off is if Final Fantasy XV a) actually exists and b) is awesome, and c) comes out as a PS4 or XBone exclusive... Oh, and if you can play EQ:Next on a dualshock 4 with Project Morpheus. (take my money)
They're gone, they'll test the waters when Wii U2 drops Fall 2015 / Spring 2016 IMO. If they put out a system at least on par with current gen this time then they'll reap the benefits of the 3rd party libraries that have already been developed for X1/PS4 and be able to be plugged into those development cycles easier unless they go to some strange architecture. Backward compatibility will ensure all the 1st party efforts over the last couple of years through the new console's release aren't wasted (and is why I haven't gone out and gotten one).

...and if they don't do any of that? I got nothin. It makes too much sense. They aren't going to go 3rd party as much as I wish they'd partner with Disney for Infinity or something at the very least.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Nintendo lost 3rd party support with the N64, carts where nintendos stubbornness with cheap cd's that held more... consumers accepted load times and that did not play out for nintendo. since then nintendo has survived mostly on their IPs... people didn't think that was sufficient to get them out of the N64, or GameCube, or Wii or WiiU.
They always seem to made weird decisions though. Even the mini-CDs in Gamecube was somewhat a head scratcher. Then releasing the Wii without HD support left many people baffled -- even if it ultimately paid off for them.

Elerion

N00b
I honestly believe Nintendo should just become a third party game developer for consoles. They would sell zillions of copies of games this way. They can keep doing what they do with their mobile gaming machines though, those do well for them especially in other countries. I bought a Wii U and I'm enjoying it but I just hate the fact I have to buy an inferior piece of hardware every generation if I want to enjoy Nintendo titles. I know this may never happen and Nintendo scoffs at the mere suggestion of it, but I can dream right?
Nintendo's games wouldn't be able to do half the things they do without control of the hardware.

Wii controllers (multiple aspects), Wii U gamepad, WiiFit board, DS dual screen, DS stylus, DS microphone - all of these things are integral to making Nintendo's games stand out from the crowd. They're good game designers, but their stuff wouldn't be nearly as unique if they had to use the same hardware as everyone else.

Also, I'm pretty sure a significant portion of Nintendo's target audience appreciates the extreme ease of use and idiot proofing of their consoles. They are generally less flexible and less modular than competing consoles, which is a big plus if you're a soccer mom buying shit for your 10 year old son.

spronk

FPS noob
got my "refurb" $200 Wii U from nintendo today, took exactly a week from order. Looks absolutely brand new, came with nintendo land that still has a club nintendo insert. The $200 bundle doesn't come with a control stand (does come with the cable), I bought at Toys'r'Us a 3d party stand/charger/speaker that was on clearance for $6. TRU also has Wonderful 101 on clearance for like $9

Its pretty hilarious how far behind Nintendo is falling on technology, all their registration shit is like "grats on doing this, now wait 2 days and go check this website to see if it worked!" and there are like 4 different ID and accounts to all link up. Hopefully I get deluxe registration and the club nintendo points, but I guess I can't find out for at least a day or two. The massive, sorta ugly gamepad makes me feel retarded when holding it after modern elegant and beautiful phones and ps4 controllers, already have a wii u pro controller on order.

Anyways doesn't matter, MK8 is fun as fuck and worth the price of the console. Its gonna be another one of those consoles where there are maybe 8 total games worth playing, but they are 8 really, really good games. Gonna register all my MK8 codes and get a few free games hopefully after the Wii U registration goes through in ?? days.

Ordered a refurb Wii U with 2 controllers for the kid and I to play through some Mario Kart (and eventual Smash Bros). One controller is shipping, the console and second controller are both labeled as backordered. Wish their site would have told me they had no stock before I put my order through. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, I wanted to get it here for the boy's birthday.

Siliconemelons

Their refurb is all via their repair/warranty site that for some reason every single vendor- is shit... it shows you no one really ever cares about repair and warranty work- that's why there are so many 3rd party vendors for repair and replacement coverage lol.

Yeah the mini disc for the gamecube was still a middle finger "we wont conform!" and it wasn't DVD technology, nor was the Wii if I recall, that's why it wont play movies etc... so dumb but its Nintendo... Zelda, Mario, Metroid and their variants (Kart, Smash, Party etc.) always are worth the console - and tons tons more if you have young kids.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Nintendo's account management system blows ass. The system I purchased had an issue, so I returned it and picked up a replacement. Apparently, your nintendo id can only be used on one wii u system. To transfer the id to another system, I had to call them up and request a data transfer, and give them the serial number of both the old and new system. On top of that, they told me it may take up to a week for my id to transfer to the new system. Until then, there is nothing I can do on the system, because I don't have any id tied to it yet.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The Wii U is powerful enough to run the HD games Nintendo is making (both[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */, and[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */) - power is not the reason 3rd parties won't develop for Nintendo. Hint: It has more to do with Nintendo not bending over backwards to please them, or allowing systems like EA's Origin on their consoles. Nintendo makes their consoles to fit the games Nintendo wants to make, they don't make hardware catered to 3rd parties to develop on.

Yeah the mini disc for the gamecube was still a middle finger "we wont conform!" and it wasn't DVD technology, nor was the Wii if I recall, that's why it wont play movies etc... so dumb but its Nintendo... Zelda, Mario, Metroid and their variants (Kart, Smash, Party etc.) always are worth the console - and tons tons more if you have young kids.
The Wii has a DVD player and the Wii U is using BluRays, both drives are modified though so they don't play anything but game discs - I assume this was to get around licensing fees to lower cost of the machine.

Nintendo's account management system blows ass. The system I purchased had an issue, so I returned it and picked up a replacement. Apparently, your nintendo id can only be used on one wii u system. To transfer the id to another system, I had to call them up and request a data transfer, and give them the serial number of both the old and new system. On top of that, they told me it may take up to a week for my id to transfer to the new system. Until then, there is nothing I can do on the system, because I don't have any id tied to it yet.
They are slowly changing - they have gotten rid of friend codes and have switched over to an account based system like everyone else (Nintendo Network IDs), they also merged their handheld and console accounts. This paves the way for your games to be account based instead of tied to the console. Unfortunately Nintendo is not a tech giant like Microsoft or Sony and they have probably had to recently hire people to slowly implement a system like PSN and Xbox Live. It's going to continue happening slowly though. Until then it's a pretty backwards system that is rooted in Nintendo's desire to keep their consoles and games a safe place for children and families.

Siliconemelons

The gamecube was actually better than DVD- the disc technology that is...it was not quite bluray- but those little discs held the same/more than a current at time DVD- I just assumed the Wii was a continuation of that tech just with larger discs and 3x more data- I believe you still pay sony/the bluray consortium $ for every drive regardless of its movie playing ability.

Tenks

It seriously shocked me how long it took me to set up the fucking WiiU. I had to log in with some random Nintendo ID or some shit. Then I went to the e-Shop to link my Club Nintendo account from my 3DS to my WiiU. Luckily I had all these accounts already made and by the grace of past-Tenks had the foresight to make all the uid/pws the same. Then I had to sit around about 4-6 hours waiting for the club nintendo to pick up my WiiU to get my points and free game for MK8. This isn't even accounting for the 1 hour long update.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
All this account stuff is making me think I missed something because while it was kind of annoying I only remember setting up two accounts or so... I had to create a nintendo account, then I created a club nintendo account and tied the nintendoID to that. Did I miss any other accounts? Dont want to miss out on points.

All in all im happy with my purchase. Mario Kart 8 is great, incredibly easy to pick up and very hard to put down. Still haven't won a race yet on multiplayer though, Im such a noob. Wind wakers is fun but baffles me that there is no way to invert the up/down look in 3rd person mode, only left right. Having to retrain myself to play this one game is killing my enjoyment a little.

Tenks

I think it was just the two accounts. Then creating a Mii if you didn't already have one as well.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Wii U is powerful enough to run the HD games Nintendo is making (both[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */, and[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */) - power is not the reason 3rd parties won't develop for Nintendo. Hint: It has more to do with Nintendo not bending over backwards to please them, or allowing systems like EA's Origin on their consoles. Nintendo makes their consoles to fit the games Nintendo wants to make, they don't make hardware catered to 3rd parties to develop on.

The Wii has a DVD player and the Wii U is using BluRays, both drives are modified though so they don't play anything but game discs - I assume this was to get around licensing fees to lower cost of the machine.

They are slowly changing - they have gotten rid of friend codes and have switched over to an account based system like everyone else (Nintendo Network IDs), they also merged their handheld and console accounts. This paves the way for your games to be account based instead of tied to the console. Unfortunately Nintendo is not a tech giant like Microsoft or Sony and they have probably had to recently hire people to slowly implement a system like PSN and Xbox Live. It's going to continue happening slowly though. Until then it's a pretty backwards system that is rooted in Nintendo's desire to keep their consoles and games a safe place for children and families.
Stop shilling, Nintendo's consoles suck ass and they are a rather horribly run company. They get lucky every now and then (the wii's success) but they fall on their face (wiiu) just as much. The only thing the company does well in the console sphere is make games.

spronk

FPS noob
if you own a Digital Deluxe there is alsoDeluxe Digital Promotionyou earn 10% of eShop buys, but the great thing is the free redeem games from MK8 count. I did 3 MK8 redeems and got back $15 in eShop credit, they counted as me "buying" 3 $60 games.

There are the following things you have to keep track of with Nintendo, luckily I use keepass and store em all safely:

your alias (what other gamers see)
your nintendo network id/pw
your club nintendo id/pw
your email address
your store.nintendo.com id/pw

and the systems are laughably ancient IT wise, like when you register a new MK8 code it can take minutes to get your free game survey, then after you finish that the system lets you try to redeem another free game for a good 15 minutes (but errors out at the last page). It took 12 hours for the DDP site to recognize my new Wii U.

Its cute in a "man that hot girl is super dumb" sorta way, but I'm pretty sure their security has got to be a joke and not very secure. I definitely don't use the same id or password I use anywhere else on any Nintendo thing.

and yeah I'd much rather play MK8 and SMBU and Zelda on a PS4 or Xbone or PC than a Wii, I do think they do the 3DS really well but the Wii/WiiU is really a piece of shit and the only saving grace is their games. The gamepad and WiiMotes are just dumb and add absolutely nothing of value.

Setting up a new PS4 was far easier and faster than setting up a new Wii U, in terms of time and "wait... whats this fucking login for now"

Tenks

I still can't figure out why they landed on "WiiU" as the name. When I was buying it my wife, who isn't at all a gamer, thought it was an expansion to the Wii and we had to go out and buy one of those as well. I told her the WiiU was $300 and she was like "So we buy a Wii and have to spend $300 more for the WiiU?" I assume most casual non-gamers (ie: Nintendo's largest audience) were similarly confused. Just call it the Wii2 and be done with it.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Points system is kind of confusing. I have 500 stars in club nintendo, 420 points with premium. I need 500 premium points for ?5 off. It says I can convert stars to wii points, but they seem different from the premium points? fucking confusing.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Stop shilling, Nintendo's consoles suck ass and they are a rather horribly run company. They get lucky every now and then (the wii's success) but they fall on their face (wiiu) just as much. The only thing the company does well in the console sphere is make games.
Yeah, a horribly run company that is worth more than the entirety of Sony and has over $10 billion dollars in the bank.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, a horribly run company that is worth more than the entirety of Sony and has over $10 billion dollars in the bank.
I meant on the console front only, I should have been more clear. Obviously their handheld wing is a giant.