Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
So to diverge away from the current path this thread is taking, what's the general consensus from everyone here on the game? Good/bad/ugly/WoW with a minor twist?

Seems like WoW with a minor twist to me. Interesting world and different combat but not something I would probably spend more than a month on.
The questing is your standard fetch and loot, nothing different from the past 10 years really. I did enjoy the telegraph combat system as you have to keep on your toes a bit, even for those snooze fest early quests. On top of that the world looks really phenomenal and feels very engaging. It's also one of the few recent MMO's I've played where GM's are actually active in-game with events, etc. Carbine are at least showing some confidence in their game and are genuinely excited for the final product, something that the ESO guys are sorely lacking and I hope the game does well. Other than that, it's really not that much different from WoW or any other EQ clone. If you want to check anything out, shoot over a PM, as I'm not sure posting a screenie publicly would be a good idea.. Or would it?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So to diverge away from the current path this thread is taking, what's the general consensus from everyone here on the game? Good/bad/ugly/WoW with a minor twist?

Seems like WoW with a minor twist to me. Interesting world and different combat but not something I would probably spend more than a month on.
As with every MMO since Age of Conan, I will be waiting a month after release before buying...

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If you don't like Vanilla WOW, the you won't like this game. It's the same game with modern polish on it. It's got its good points and bad points.

From my perspective:
Pro: Old school feel. Single difficulty raids, gear will matter, no handouts, no watered down content. Longer leveling curve than modern WOW.
Cons: It's the same old questing treadmill you've been doing for 10 years. There is no variation in gameplay. They are banking on that you will enjoy the "action-y" combat enough to play through it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
From my perspective:
Pro: Old school feel. Single difficulty raids, gear will matter, no handouts, no watered down content. Longer leveling curve than modern WOW.
Cons: It's the same old questing treadmill you've been doing for 10 years. There is no variation in gameplay. They are banking on that you will enjoy the "action-y" combat enough to play through it.
People need to get off bitching about the quest leveling system. I mean I'd love to have something better, but in the end it's not going to matter that much. Unless you're the type of person who constantly makes alts because you have too much time, suck at playing your other characters, or a general weirdo, leveling will be like 75 hours of gameplay and then the REAL game begins.

Not one game have I played and thought, "man, I really want to level all the way to end game again!" I wanted to power-chug through that bitch til I could get a cool 2hander and smash the fuck out of big baddies and high level people.

It's kind of like bitching about your steak dinner because the free rolls on your table beforehand weren't "awesome".

an accordion_sl

shitlord
People need to get off bitching about the quest leveling system. I mean I'd love to have something better, but in the end it's not going to matter that much. Unless you're the type of person who constantly makes alts because you have too much time, suck at playing your other characters, or a general weirdo, leveling will be like 75 hours of gameplay and then the REAL game begins.

Not one game have I played and thought, "man, I really want to level all the way to end game again!" I wanted to power-chug through that bitch til I could get a cool 2hander and smash the fuck out of big baddies and high level people.

It's kind of like bitching about your steak dinner because the free rolls on your table beforehand weren't "awesome".
This is the dumbest argument I've heard... 75 hours is a significant chunk of gameplay time. I could spend that time playing games that are actually fun instead of the same old task based questing. Isn't it kind of important to capture your audience in the first 20 or so hours of the game, instead of bore them to death?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

Fair enough. However, the quest driven system is an overall representation of the game that is not an innovation. The end game is the same. The content is the same. It's all Level -> Heroic Dungeons -> Raid. Without deviation.

Where they have a chance to add some spice is their gear system which really seems fun. Their combat system which can be hit or miss depending on your tastes. The HUGE thing in my opinion, is are classes fun? They can make the whole game 100x better if the classes are actually well designed and fun to play (I don't care about balance). Right now we know there will be a Warrior, Rogue, and two different kinds of mages.

For those that have played at PAX did the classes feel any different? We already have one comment that it was spamspamspam-finisher. To me that's just boring as fuck. You need a good class system to pull things off and if their rogue is all about combo points and mages are all about mana consumption .. ah well.

If the two other classes are really fun to play, they'll have my interest for at least a month.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wildstar combat feels very gimmicky and meh at the moment whereas wow combat felt pretty darn smooth imo.
From when I played at PAX combat felt fine. The gimmick is the telegraph system that you may hate or not. The rest is just fine in my opinion for a modern game.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
This is the dumbest argument I've heard... 75 hours is a significant chunk of gameplay time. I could spend that time playing games that are actually fun instead of the same old task based questing. Isn't it kind of important to capture your audience in the first 20 or so hours of the game, instead of bore them to death?
This is pretty much it here. I have a limited time to play games these days. If I'm going to slog through quest driven content for 40-80 hours. The game itself has got to be fun. If the combat is fun, and the classes are really engaging, I really don't mind. Ultimately quests are another type of grind, so it's one thing or another and they can be fun if everything around it is.

Maybe by the time this is released I'll be enough time away from MMOs to make it fun again. I skipped FFXIV for a reason.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Fair enough. However, the quest driven system is an overall representation of the game that is not an innovation. The end game is the same. The content is the same. It's all Level -> Heroic Dungeons -> Raid. Without deviation.

Where they have a chance to add some spice is their gear system which really seems fun. Their combat system which can be hit or miss depending on your tastes. The HUGE thing in my opinion, is are classes fun? They can make the whole game 100x better if the classes are actually well designed and fun to play (I don't care about balance). Right now we know there will be a Warrior, Rogue, and two different kinds of mages.

For those that have played at PAX did the classes feel any different? We already have one comment that it was spamspamspam-finisher. To me that's just boring as fuck. You need a good class system to pull things off and if their rogue is all about combo points and mages are all about mana consumption .. ah well.

If the two other classes are really fun to play, they'll have my interest for at least a month.
You cannot say the end game is the same as the quest hubs during leveling. You don't know what end game is like, I don't know, most of their devs truly don't know yet. You also left out the mention that end game also involves PVP which has Arena-->BG--->Warfront. The rest of the game is largely speculation. Still, I think there's got to be some linear aspect to this game and most MMO's for them to exist. True sandbox games people THINK they want to play just tend to be complete shit.

Combat does feel lacking, but each stage of beta has come with improvements for sure.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider

I hope they do something with the classes. They really are just boring as fuck. You've got your WoW rogue, WoW warrior, mage/healer hybrid thing and a hunter wannabe class. I've tried them all and I just cant get myself interested in any of them. Couple wth that with the unispired combat and meh, just never really have had fun in the beta.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You cannot say the end game is the same as the quest hubs during leveling. You don't know what end game is like, I don't know, most of their devs truly don't know yet. You also left out the mention that end game also involves PVP which has Arena-->BG--->Warfront. The rest of the game is largely speculation. Still, I think there's got to be some linear aspect to this game and most MMO's for them to exist. True sandbox games people THINK they want to play just tend to be complete shit.

Combat does feel lacking, but each stage of beta has come with improvements for sure.
I know exactly what they're doing because they've said exactly what they are doing.

There will be Raids, 40 and 20 man.
There will be Dungeons (Heroic)
There will be Arenas
There will be BGs
There will be Warplots (new)
There will be Housing (new)

I mean, what else do you expect there to be? They are adding spiffy things to raiding like weekly challenges and leader boards and stuff. This could fuel some additional gameplay elements. Hopefully they will take the tried, true, and ancient gameplay an add some additional layers to it so it's not all about just raiding every night, doing the same thing every time.

We'll see.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
As Draegan said, it's a TBC WoW modernized. Very high production values.

Gorgeous environment, great character animation, very responsive combat... I mean WoW level of responsiveness in my opinion.

There were some issues in beta with combat, but the foundation was extremely solid. Just need to tweak white damage vs yellow damage, frequency of telegraph and if done right it could be one of best combat around right now it's fun but not spectacular.

The leveling aspect is quest based like WoW but I like it a bit better. In WoW the vast majority of your quest come from a quest hub that you go back to over and over again to turn in quest and get new ones. In Wildstar you'll get just a few quest in a quest hub and most of them will be found in the world. Either via your com device or npc or objects spread around in the world. Most quest are turned over via the com device. You can play for hours without ever going back to the quest hub at times. It's also less linear and bad has a few quest and points of interest with no breadcrumbs leading to them.

Don't get me wrong it's still very traditional questing but I found the flow more interesting. Also the tweet size quest text is something I like. I can read all the quest without feeling like I am wasting too much time.

Difficulty level and leveling speed is more like TBC than Mist of Panderia which is good.
smile.png

The bottom line for most people is just how much they enjoy traditional MMO game. It's mostly just a highl production value modern WoW in space. As such it is in my opinion excellent how much will people like it I have no clue.

Dungeons are pretty hard and not fun with pugs. Telegraphs do not make thing easy.
smile.png

Troll_sl

shitlord
Also the tweet size quest text is something I like. I can read all the quest without feeling like I am wasting too much time.
Fucking amen. I hate games where they think you need a three page reason to collect bear asses.

All you need is, "Bear asses taste delicious with sriracha. Go get me some." Done.

Now, if you have an epic quest with a really worthwhile reward or story, go for it. But for the run-of-the-mill, I don't need that shit. Most people click through anyways. Save it for when it matters.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The leveling aspect is quest based like WoW but I like it a bit better. In WoW the vast majority of your quest come from a quest hub that you go back to over and over again to turn in quest and get new ones. In Wildstar you'll get just a few quest in a quest hub and most of them will be found in the world. Either via your com device or npc or objects spread around in the world. Most quest are turned over via the com device. You can play for hours without ever going back to the quest hub at times. It's also less linear and bad has a few quest and points of interest with no breadcrumbs leading to them.
Sounds sorta like GW2. At least I dont consider a heart in GW2 a WoW style quest hub. Definite pass on picking up 6 quests at once that have me go to the same spot to kill/collect. If they can make it seem a bit more natural (loved GW2 leveling) I can probably enjoy it.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Fucking amen. I hate games where they think you need a three page reason to collect bear asses.

All you need is, "Bear asses taste delicious with sriracha. Go get me some." Done.

Now, if you have an epic quest with a really worthwhile reward or story, go for it. But for the run-of-the-mill, I don't need that shit. Most people click through anyways. Save it for when it matters.
Cant remember the last mmo where I spent half a second reading the quest text when i could hit accept and get on with playing the game...

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Be interesting to see how this does. Playing it at Pax, I wasn't very impressed with the game. It seems like they made a gigantic list of "cool things" they wanted to have and that sounded good. However, actually playing the game it just doesn't seem all that fun. Quests are pretty wretched but more importantly the combat with the targeting stuff just feels gimmicky..
This has been my reaction to it as well. We keep talking about substance on this board and while I'll grant that Wildstar has more than some games we have seen recently it certainly does not have enough. Funny PR guy is about as awesome as the PR guy for Warhammer "we want to be the only game you think about!!!", my interested is piqued but the follow through is meh. And seriously the combat guys is a shallow one trick gimmick, in the guise of "HEY WE HAVE COLOURED SHIT TO NOT STAND IN. AREN'T WE ORIGINAL???"

PS. Id like to add that maybe the substance is when everyone is playing together at release? That's when i'll really enjoy it?

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There were some issues in beta with combat, but the foundation was extremely solid. Just need to tweak white damage vs yellow damage, frequency of telegraph and if done right it could be one of best combat around right now it's fun but not spectacular.
I'm going to disagree with you because I wouln't call combat gameplay relying on hard patterned rotations with limited skills solid foundations. In fact the foundations are moving quite fast : from 8 available skills in the LAS bar during early stage (LAS is the skillbar where you have to choose which skills you want to use in fights) to 9 then 10 during CBT3. And they also announced they're gonna rework itemization and milestone system. Not so much solid, in my opinion. Most of the complaints from my point of view are from the filler / finisher boogaloo being boring and spammy, LAS system uninspiring, GuildWars2esque and too restricting. I feel the game has some kind of strong potential right now but I will definitely not call it "with solid foundations". They still have a lot of work to make Wildstar fun to play, because at the moment I think combat gameplay experience during leveling is as fun as playing Jokari without the elastic cord. People need to know how the game is, not how the game is expected to be.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played 3 class to 30+...warrior, esper and spellslinger.

Warrior and esper have builders and finisher, spellslinger has something similar but it's different. He doesn't have builders, but his spell surge builds over time and enhance most abilities when used with spell surge available.

I found that all 3 played quite differently, and the issue of spamming builder was really bad with the esper. Mostly because his main builder ability requires 3 clicks to fire off...which leads to spamming 1 a lot, and it gets really annoying, they are aware of it and will hopefully fix it. I didn't find any issue with the warrior, most abilities are builders so you're not constantly spamming 1 key. Same with spellslinger you don't spam the same key over an over again..they all use a rotation/priority system.

Depending on what abilities you put on your limited hotbar, the class can play a bit different. There are of course abilities you'll most likely always have on there, but at least half the bar will be somewhat different between different players depending on playstyle preference. For example...esper can easily have almost all instant cast spell on the bar, or all with cast time...it leads to a fundamentally different playstyle.

There is work to be done for the class to really fun. I found all 3 pretty fun, but with some tweaks required...they are aware of a few issues and will hopefully fix them. Again, the foundation is solid...but at this point it wasn't great, but still fun in my opinion.

There were too many "broken" things with combat to truly give accurate feedback at this time.