Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Quaid

Trump's Staff
But Farmville didn't take 6 years and 60 million to develop that also requires a 3d processor.
Touch?.

Now that I think of it though... It'd be pretty cool to have a game that was intended to be played with a PC and a tablet simultaneously.

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
Love this shot from one of the videos.

rrr_img_42463.jpg

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yah the environments are slick in this game... But I certainly hope that's not max draw distance.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
White knights still butthurt I have found ONE criticism in the promotional materials of their precious. Ah well. Guess meaningful discussion is too much to ask. Oh, I watched the 'meet the dominion' video to confirm if I wasnt being fucking delusional...like 40 seconds in the Drakkin scratches his butt.... HILAROUS AM I RITE???

For the record, I don't think it's gonna be 9-12 year olds. I do however expect an audience skewed towards the 15-22 range for Wildstar, which isn't the worst thing. Hell, I was 16 when I started playing EQ. Unfortunately, I require something a bit different these days. I don't think I can handle that kind of community anymore, and ya, I do believe many many youngsters will be drawn to this game over other MMOs entering the market.
I think you're a bit overstating how funny they intended that scene to be... they were trying to make a point through humor, and although it's "childish" butt scratching, it at least wasn't a fart joke (although I'm assuming they've made a fart joke at least once before).

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
That's the max (available) at the time. Looks like there's some sort of cloud effect in the distance preventing further vision.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
Love this shot from one of the videos.

rrr_img_42463.jpg
Yeah, they made a very pretty/interesting/quality world. It's probably the best MMO world I've seen since WoW. Everything in that picture looks like it belongs, and it's just all very instantly appealing (at least for myself).

If there's any one thing to hand to them, it's that they have some pretty great world designers.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ok seriously im not getting baited into this bullshit again... I really don't give a shit when it comes down to it. I mean, I'm still gonna at least try the open beta in some desperate hope that I'm wrong anyway. So whatever.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ok seriously im not getting baited into this bullshit again... I really don't give a shit when it comes down to it. I mean, I'm still gonna at least try the open beta in some desperate hope that I'm wrong anyway. So whatever.
That's because you are wrong.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I honestly have no idea, was hoping you would bite. I've actually lost a lot of interest after I found out they lost my fucking e-mail I signed up for beta with originally for like several years.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Aside from my obviously stated problems with the 'atmosphere' of Wildstar, which I realize is a subjective thing, I'm getting an 'everything but the kitchen sink' kind of vibe. Don't get me wrong, loves me a good theme park if its done right... But does it feel to anyone else like they are just ramming everything they can possibly think of into this game and making it... I dunno.... Muddy?

It's like a restaurant with a menu that's too big...

Look at our housing system with jumping puzzles, and mini games, trophies, furniture, and crafting stations, and arenas, and dalies, and dynamic events... Paths and action combat with telegraphs and spammy CC breaks, and 40 man raids, and battlegrounds, and overland raids etc etc etc etc all wrapped in dual faction derivative lore...

It's starting to feel like a circus.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's a long fature list but I think that's good (as long as they can keep up with supplying content to all those interests). It has more hooks to keep people playing for that feature primarily while only dabbling in the rest (I know someone that pays the WoW sub for pet battles). Imo the question wether they can find their place in the market and stay strong depends on the update frequency post-launch. One way to set yourself apart from WoW with an otherwise similar game: hey look, you dont have to wait for 8 months for a new quest hub with us. That's assuming the base product is a solid game of course, if that isnt the case they enter the "could have been" row in a month.

Column_sl

shitlord
Without saying too much, Wildstar is in a pretty raw state right now. I'm hoping they take that year, and the feedback that we are giving them constantly from closed beta to make this a good game.
I think the videos they are showing are abit deceiving. The game has some serious issues going on that need to be cleaned up.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
See, now why do people have to say ridiculous stuff like this?

The 'newness' of a system doesn't make it superior, or make older less complex systems less enjoyable.

I enjoy both Deadmau5 and James Taylor. Both have their time and place.
My comment has nearly nothing to do with newness. EverQuest combat is just very unengaging, for the most part. Good for you if you enjoy it, but even the crappiest MMOs in the last decade have provided a better combat experience.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
My comment has nearly nothing to do with newness. EverQuest combat is just very unengaging, for the most part. Good for you if you enjoy it, but even the crappiest MMOs in the last decade have provided a better combat experience.
Still struggling to understand your point. Combat, engaging or otherwise, doesn't determine the quality or relevance of an MMORPG.

Perhaps you are right in that fans of EQs heavy downtime style will never again get to experience that style of combat - but that doesn't mean it was bad. All it means is that current development trends have decided there isn't a market for it. Is that a wise assessment? I'm not so sure.

Take the Final Fantasy series for example. For some strange reason Square Enix seems intent on abandoning the combat systems of their iconic titles because they aren't very engaging or exciting... And yet... Here we stand watching the franchise go down the tubes.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Take the Final Fantasy series for example. For some strange reason Square Enix seems intent on abandoning the combat systems of their iconic titles because they aren't very engaging or exciting... And yet... Here we stand watching the franchise go down the tubes.
I don't think the franchise is going down the tube because of changes to the combat, or at least not only because of it. The games have just simply getting worse overall.

As for Wildstar, I love it...leveled 3 characters to little over 30. But then again, I love questing and leveling, I'm an altaholic. Had 9 level 70 during Burning Crusade...only one of which who had raid gear. Hell all the others never entered a dungeon, leveling and questing has always been the fun part for me. I know I'm weird that way.
smile.png