Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When a big chunk of potential players are underemployed . You had better have one helluva of an endgame , cause they have one helluva of a lot of play time. IE 30 million people tween 22 and 32 live with mums and dadz cause of the shitastrophe of an economy.
Your typical MMO player analysis is probably the worst clueless, derogative, insulting and inaccurate thing I've ever read in this thread. You should take a helluva chunk of your time to google MMO players studies. Internet is full of interesting information for anyone who wouldn't want to look like a fool.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
b3isySv.jpg

o88Tm0U.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Your typical MMO player analysis is probably the worst clueless, derogative, insulting and inaccurate thing I've ever read in this thread. You should take a helluva chunk of your time to google MMO players studies. Internet is full of interesting information for anyone who wouldn't want to look like a fool.
Uh, he's probably right, depending on your specific definition of underemployed. A huge section of the US workforce is underemployed, so a huge section of MMO players being underemployed is fairly likely.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually I'd say the opposite. The majority of MMO gamers are casual players, who work + life and play maybe a few hours a week. The 1%-5% poopsockers are the unemployed mixed in with students(who can play a lot of hours).

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think that's the exact opposite reason why the genre is stale. SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, and everything else post WoW has come out with polished leveling treadmills and endgames that range from bad to nonexistent.

The problem with the genera is that devs treat MMOs like they're RPGs. You play RPGs for a few months, beat them, and then forget about them. Some RPGs do have replay value, but how many people were playing Planescape or Baldur's Gate in 2008? But 10 years later WoW still has around 7 million subs, and EVE is still growing. MMOs need to have gameplay that's more like LoL, Starcraft, or Civilization. That's not to say they need to have the same mechanics, but elements like leveling and story are not as important as what happens at max level.

TBH, the solo leveling treadmill is the problem with MMOs. I'd pay $50/month for a game that was just group PVE, crafting, raids, and PVP.
Then why aren't you playing WoW? Seriously, this sentiment makes me LOL. WoW famously has an extremely easy, fast, and generic leveling curve after the original release. None of the expansions were hard and did anyone really find it hard to hit max level? You hit max level in a month MAX and then what did you do for the next 20 or so months? Really generic endgame. Over, and over, and over ad nauseam. Playing one WoW expansion is close to playing any WoW expansion. The definition of generic.

They spent time on all this content but made it way too easy and quick to slosh through. Many game designers have admitted there is only so much content they can design. None have designed good long-term PvP, and group PvE gets really old after a few months of the same stuff. If they slowed down the leveling, then people besides the Min/Max crowd would actually have something to do. If they do the same here, I can only hope they have something different to provide. Or they release new varied content a lot faster than WoW did.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
True, but for the majority of players in older games like EQ and WoW they never reached max level and didn't care about the endgame.
A huge majority still doesn't. The statistics for WoW accounts did show a majority of players without a max-level character for most of the game's life. I suspect it has changed by now, because chiefly, only the more hardcore are still playing it. But the idea that...
A higher percentage of players rush to the endgame now.
...is false. A higher percentage of the players you know or heard about do, but, mostly, that's because your social circle is chiefly composed of such players.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
A huge majority still doesn't. The statistics for WoW accounts did show a majority of players without a max-level character for most of the game's life. I suspect it has changed by now, because chiefly, only the more hardcore are still playing it. But the idea that...

...is false. A higher percentage of the players you know or heard about do, but, mostly, that's because your social circle is chiefly composed of such players.
It would be interesting to know the actual numbers, because it's implicit that people that don't reach the level cap are only buying the box and a few limited months of subscription, while end-game players have ongoing, recurring subscriptions. At what point does it become more profitable to cater to the long-term subscribers?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Just read somewhere that they're doing cross realm play.

Am I the only one that sees this as a terribad idea? I mean, in WoW it kind of made the over world useless.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just read somewhere that they're doing cross realm play.

Am I the only one that sees this as a terribad idea? I mean, in WoW it kind of made the over world useless.
They do give the option to select server only when queing for dungeons, not sure about pvp.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I've came to accept cross-realm play, I wouldn't really mind it but it did always sorta feel like the community was lacking something when that all started happening. However I can think what I want, I'm still going to be called a faggot every 3 minutes more than likely so I guess at least having new names calling me a faggot is nice.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've came to accept cross-realm play, I wouldn't really mind it but it did always sorta feel like the community was lacking something when that all started happening. However I can think what I want, I'm still going to be called a faggot every 3 minutes more than likely so I guess at least having new names calling me a faggot is nice.
After seeing the difference between my dead server (Shadowsong) and a 'full' server (Stormrage). The overcrowded server has more 'community' now than my server has had since release.

I transfered my DK to an overpopulated server during the transfer sale. I hadn't seen anything like that since the game first released on my server. TONS of people talking in chat all the time, PUGs for raids running around the clock. I had almost forgot what a lively community actually looked like.

I honestly can't wait for the virtual servers.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Having to break your population into shards at all is a technical obstacle I hope the genre overcomes soon. It should just be one community, at least per geographic region for latency/language issues.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think factions that break up the population are stupid for pve, you should still be able to be the opposite faction and group up in pve. IT really limits your playerbase.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I think factions that break up the population are stupid for pve, you should still be able to be the opposite faction and group up in pve. IT really limits your playerbase.
Yeah but it's so much easier to make a hard faction one weapon per class quest hub bear ass collecting skinner box

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After seeing the difference between my dead server (Shadowsong) and a 'full' server (Stormrage). The overcrowded server has more 'community' now than my server has had since release.

I transfered my DK to an overpopulated server during the transfer sale. I hadn't seen anything like that since the game first released on my server. TONS of people talking in chat all the time, PUGs for raids running around the clock. I had almost forgot what a lively community actually looked like.

I honestly can't wait for the virtual servers.
It's also a problem because companies refuse to "merge" servers, because it's seen as a bad thing and the "Beginning of the end". WoW should of merged servers a long ass time ago.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
WoW is combining servers. You can have two characters on two different servers, once they are combine both characters can join the same guild, etc.

One day soon, servers will be a thing of the past.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
WoW is combining servers. You can have two characters on two different servers, once they are combine both characters can join the same guild, etc.

Only specific linked servers, though.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Definitely agree. I dislike hard factions for MMOs for that reason. I know in Wildstar I'm going to be forced into playing Exile when I really don't want to play any exile races, but that's where my friends are going so I just gotta suck it up. I know it would ruin the lore and all that letting races play together that are sworm enemies.. but shit, even crazy rednecks helped black people out of slavery. Not everybody of the race is against everyone else.

But oh well, I'll just go Granok because their houses looked neat in some of that leaked stuff a few months ago, lol

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit

WoW is spending alot of programming effort on masking that fact though, even Blizzard is scared of the negative publicity and subscriber impression associated with it. I do hope they have some nifty new ideas for Wildstar beyond "launch more servers" if the game brings in more players then they planned for. The overflow tech GW2 used is a very good imo (and even with that they end up having too many servers now).

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
The main problem with leveling in todays mmo market is that many players just rush through it as fast as possible to get to the endgame. It's not the players fault for doing this, it's just the way things are. For most players nowdays leveling is just a boring inconvenience in the way of the real game. Some people enjoy it but for most it's just a chore.
While levelling things change often, scenerey, abilities, tasks to perform, npcs you interact with. Once you are max level all you do is exactly what a hamster does: run on the fucking wheel over and over and over until a few pieces of your dress of choice get that +gooder amount that is good enough to jump on the next wheel.
Today end-game, aka raiding, is the most bland thing ever (except maybe for the first run), raid gear has absolutely no offect except letting you raid the next tier.
In vanilla WoW you could PvP with it, in EQ you could grind AA faster with it, and so on and so forth. Today, is it good for what exactly? Faster dailies?

I enjoy levelling as much as I enjoy endgame first iteration in a raid tier, ok let's say first successful iteration, so you don't get me wrong. I think there is merit on soloing too, if for soloing you mean finding creative way to beat the content that was meant for more players, doesn't mean if old or not (soloing Kael'Tas at 80 was a blast). Well done raiding zones are a pleasure too, this is undeniable.

In short: levelling is fun and interesting for me, raiding tends to be less interesting over time, while I hardly get tired of levelling (I'm a certified altoholic in multiple games).