Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Xevy

Log Wizard
I just want fun end-game. A lot of complaints now are about the limited, early-game stuff beta has to offer, but that's like complaining about the free rolls in a steakhouse. I wants me some good PVE and PVP I can play for 6-12 hours a day every day until major patches/content additions.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I just want fun end-game. A lot of complaints now are about the limited, early-game stuff beta has to offer, but that's like complaining about the free rolls in a steakhouse. I wants me some good PVE and PVP I can play for 6-12 hours a day every day until major patches/content additions.
I think this game will be fun but I hate that sentiment. The endgame is everything thought is one reason this genre is stale as hell.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think the exact OPPOSITE is what's ruining this genre. Developers push out game with all sorts of leveling and story bullshit then you hit max and boom! Nothing to do. I think it's better to cater to the 95% of time played for heavy gamers than the 5%. I think I hit max levels in most MMO's in about 40-75 hours played nowadays. I'm a little more interested in the 100's of hours that come after that.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You were unsure of that? Medic is obviously dps/healer so that means the other "unknown class" had to be a dps/tank since we already had 2 of each dps/tank (Stalker/Warrior) and 2 healer/dps (Spellslinger/Esper).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No I wasn't unsure. Its funny that one of the devs let it slip. Asked a question about upgrading pistols on spellslinger and it was ignored of course. They only answered the stupid fucking fluff questions. Surprised they didn't have a "can spellslingers wear a cape question".

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the exact OPPOSITE is what's ruining this genre. Developers push out game with all sorts of leveling and story bullshit then you hit max and boom! Nothing to do. I think it's better to cater to the 95% of time played for heavy gamers than the 5%. I think I hit max levels in most MMO's in about 40-75 hours played nowadays. I'm a little more interested in the 100's of hours that come after that.
Definitely agree with this. Guild Wars did it better than anyone else by making 1-20 take a matter of hours and having the vast majority of their content be designed for max level players. You obviously still have to have progression, but generic leveling is the worst possible kind imo. Sadly, even ArenaNet failed to recognize the genius in their own design and discarded it to make the sequel yet another shitty Diku clone. Nobody else has even tried.

Dudelander_sl

shitlord
I think this game will be fun but I hate that sentiment. The endgame is everything thought is one reason this genre is stale as hell.
I think that's the exact opposite reason why the genre is stale. SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, and everything else post WoW has come out with polished leveling treadmills and endgames that range from bad to nonexistent.

The problem with the genera is that devs treat MMOs like they're RPGs. You play RPGs for a few months, beat them, and then forget about them. Some RPGs do have replay value, but how many people were playing Planescape or Baldur's Gate in 2008? But 10 years later WoW still has around 7 million subs, and EVE is still growing. MMOs need to have gameplay that's more like LoL, Starcraft, or Civilization. That's not to say they need to have the same mechanics, but elements like leveling and story are not as important as what happens at max level.

TBH, the solo leveling treadmill is the problem with MMOs. I'd pay $50/month for a game that was just group PVE, crafting, raids, and PVP.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
They're not mutually exclusive concepts. A game could have both an adequate leveling experience and an enjoyable endgame, which would likely require more funds to produce both. If I had to pick one or another, I'd chose endgame in that I'm unaware of a game that focused on the leveling experience having decent replay value. SWTOR came close; however, the shared environments/quests between classes quickly diminished the replay value as far too much of the leveling experience was familiar. The journey, in MMOs, is rarely enjoyable when compared to their single-player counterparts.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The main problem with leveling in todays mmo market is that many players just rush through it as fast as possible to get to the endgame. It's not the players fault for doing this, it's just the way things are. For most players nowdays leveling is just a boring inconvenience in the way of the real game. Some people enjoy it but for most it's just a chore.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The main problem with leveling in todays mmo market is that many players just rush through it as fast as possible to get to the endgame. It's not the players fault for doing this, it's just the way things are. For most players nowdays leveling is just a boring inconvenience in the way of the real game. Some people enjoy it but for most it's just a chore.
Uh today's? People were rushing as fast as they could since the first MMO. The time to max level has just decreased.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uh today's? People were rushing as fast as they could since the first MMO. The time to max level has just decreased.
True, but for the majority of players in older games like EQ and WoW they never reached max level and didn't care about the endgame. That is what has changed. A higher percentage of players rush to the endgame now. And modern MMOs encourage that. Even WoW has changed it's leveling experience and encouraged people to speed through it. Less time is spent on developing the midgame, etc. That's the only point I was making.

But because that is true now, there really doesn't seem to be a point to leveling except as a glorified tutorial.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
When a big chunk of potential players are underemployed . You had better have one helluva of an endgame , cause they have one helluva of a lot of play time. IE 30 million people tween 22 and 32 live with mums and dadz cause of the shitastrophe of an economy.