Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The introduction area is boring and a pain in the ass too. It's a bad addition. You just run around clicking on things.

Raign

Golden Squire
The introduction area is boring and a pain in the ass too. It's a bad addition. You just run around clicking on things.
I don't think its bad to add a short 'this key moves you forward, this is how you shoot your gun, use your path ability here to see what it does' sort of area, but you are 100% correct, it is way too much just running around clicking crap. Be ok if they add a 'skip tutorial button' though that just ports you to level 4 and the start of the next area.

iannis

Musty Nester
I found that tutorial useful, to be completely honest.

They do need an account flag so if you've done it once you can just skip it, and there are mechanics that are used in the game which aren't in the tutorial which is something that they need to address as well.

But I ain't expecting much more than "press buttons, these are the sort of things you're going to be working with" out of a tutorial. They already have a civlopedia with the codex, they need to add a help|basics|mechanics|UI or whatever the hell you want to call it to that, as well. Because if they're explaining possible mechanics at level 1 and you don't see them again until level 20 or whatever... yeah, who's gonna remember they told you it was the "x" key back on the arkship.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They've actually shown a bunch of the esper skills in some dev video thing, I looked at it cause it showed healing in the first dungeon. It showed the other builder but it's like a melee range builder so while you can run around, it's not that great. That said you don't really need to use the builder much unlike the name implies, since pretty much every ability generates combo points, so you only use it as a filler when you're out of cooldown based spells to use and standing still isn't all that bad. It also does superior damage to compensate for the lack of movement.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have played Esper! It's really really fun, the only hang up I have is the cast time spam spell. if it castable on the move I'd be downright in love with that class.
You might try Spellslinger then, it has somewhat better mobility in early levels. Also you don't really need to "spam" Telekinetic Strike unless you want to do burst DPS. Leveling wise, you'd make more sustained dps hitting TS one then purging your Psi point than 5 points capping it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You might try Spellslinger then, it has somewhat better mobility in early levels. Also you don't really need to "spam" Telekinetic Strike unless you want to do burst DPS. Leveling wise, you'd make more sustained dps hitting TS one then purging your Psi point than 5 points capping it.
At this point I can Psiblade to start, TS, Stun, bird thing and it kills almost anything, but without tsi blade have to TS twice, so start TS, stun TS, bird.

It's not really that hard of a rotation I just don't like the idea of standing still, that's why I almost never play casters that aren't healers.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
At this point I can Psiblade to start, TS, Stun, bird thing and it kills almost anything, but without tsi blade have to TS twice, so start TS, stun TS, bird.

It's not really that hard of a rotation I just don't like the idea of standing still, that's why I almost never play casters that aren't healers.
There's Blade Dance too, but they might have moved that to later I think I read, still had it on my lvl 10esper though, adds like 2points and does good damage in an aoe, so you alternate the spinning blades and that and rarely telekinetic strike while lvling other than tougher mobs. Beats leveling with a medic though.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Last time I logged onto DDO I saw winter coins or some shit floating everywhere and was spammed with news about how it was my last chance to forge some whatever gay shit they were pushing that week. Dungeon design in DDO is the best there ever will be and I'll lick their balls for that until my throat bleeds but the rest of that game is such atrocious ass I can't be bothered. Fuck any game that doesn't have some sort of auto-group finder as well but requires grouping to do anything meaningful.

Been playing SC2 but i can only 10 pool so many people before I get bored.

I haven't played an MMO in like 2 years. How has not a single decent fucking one come out. This is bullshit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Last time I logged onto DDO I saw winter coins or some shit floating everywhere and was spammed with news about how it was my last chance to forge some whatever gay shit they were pushing that week. Dungeon design in DDO is the best there ever will be and I'll lick their balls for that until my throat bleeds but the rest of that game is such atrocious ass I can't be bothered. Fuck any game that doesn't have some sort of auto-group finder as well but requires grouping to do anything meaningful.

Been playing SC2 but i can only 10 pool so many people before I get bored.

I haven't played an MMO in like 2 years. How has not a single decent fucking one come out. This is bullshit.
There isn't anything interesting on the horizon. EQN has some really interesting "thoughts" but it's SOE.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Here's the thing -- that 40 man number? It's at the core of the game. Think about it for a second: Warplots are designed as 40 v 40 and give the best pvp gear. The 20 man raids are required to be completed to enter the 40 man raids, so it stands to reason that the 40 man will have better loot. Maybe at some point down the road they'll think to themselves, "shit, that 40 man raid decision was horrible." and everyone here will bring out the "we told you so" posts. Wildstar, in it's current implementation, is built with the idea that difficult 40 man raid content that only a select few people get to experience isn't a bad thing. If you don't want to be a part of that they'll still be 20 man raids, arenas, expert dungeons, and whatever else they come out to satisfy that crowd. You just won't get the top 1% of loot. Wildstar is gambling that creating a tier of content - the top tier - which is catered to the hardcore is viabledespitebeing exclusive. We'll see how this turns out post launch.
I think it's a stupid philosophy. 40 man raids won't be exclusive at all - that was sort of the point. You'llhaveto bring Johnny Baddy and carry him because you need to hit the magic 40. And it's artificial difficulty anyways, as we've discussed. It's going to be 'difficult' because herding around 20 morons that you brought to fill the gaps is annoying and time consuming. I can't help but think raids are going to have to be dumbed down to some extent to compensate for the large raid requirement. Content should be exclusive because it's truly difficult to do and requires strategy and team work.

Maybe they'll surprise me, but I think they're going to have a hard time balancing difficulty and exclusivity.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
40 man raiding in Wildstar will be as fun as organizing a laser tag game with headless chickens. I just hope they'll eventually understand why WoW is going 20 man competitive PvE. They really need to stop going dogmatic about every feature, nobody should give a damn about 40 man raiding anymore, especially those who have ran them to the bone. You'll end up having a full HR team to manage planner, schedules, recruitment, drama, loot, and you'll get A LOT of bad / awful / troll / guildies just because there's a magic number to reach. Rose tinted nostalgia is bad, especially when you try to arouse "hardcore" players with telegraph system while putting an Auto-Target / Lock feature in PvE at the same time. Gameplay wise this game feels like WoW for people who doesn't have enough time / patience to play WoW.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
How about don't do the 40 man? Don't see what the problem is.
Because that's not really a good selling point for a genre that depends on long-term players.

Carbine acknowledges that it's going to be more exclusive. I just wonder how long they're going to be willing to stick to their guns, even if it means being less successful.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I hope they keep them. I enjoyed large raids in EQ and enjoyed the 40 man raids in WoW. I was upset then they went to 25 and 10 man raids, the latter feeling more like a dungeon group then a raid.

Also doesn't this game have 20 mans? So don't do 40 mans, just do those. Hopefully the better items are in the 40 man tier.

I wouldn't mind a flex system that allows a 40 man raid to be tuned down to say 36/37ish players for those times when you you just happen to be missing a few people(items can be tuned to match) and don't want to just do nothing but I don't want to see everything drop down to 25/20 or less.