Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Flank_sl

shitlord
30% more damage done and 30% less taken is actually a 51% advantage.

Although we have a base 15.99% of each stat anyway, so I have no idea how the math works yet. When I get some pvp gear I will have a look at it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not to sound like a dickhead but it's a fucking pvp server. PVP is never fair and even when it's made to be as fair as possible people still find fucking excuses on why they died. I'm carebearing the fuck out of this game on a filthy casual basis. If I was to roll on a pvp server I sure the fuck wouldn't maverick that shit. I would roll with a group to make sure I didn't get ganked.

PVP gear has always and will always suck. Trying to balance pve/pvp in the same game always just ends up fucking both up.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Not to sound like a dickhead but it's a fucking pvp server. PVP is never fair and even when it's made to be as fair as possible people still find fucking excuses on why they died. I'm carebearing the fuck out of this game on a filthy casual basis. If I was to roll on a pvp server I sure the fuck wouldn't maverick that shit. I would roll with a group to make sure I didn't get ganked.

PVP gear has always and will always suck. Trying to balance pve/pvp in the same game always just ends up fucking both up.
Getting ganked is no big deal -- if someone is outclassed enough that their quest progress is limited then just alt-tab for a bit. My complaint is that an equipment design decision caters solely to people wearing PVP gear fighting people in PVE gear. Obviously I'm still a newb at this game but I don't even see an obvious way to discern what someone is wearing -- its only until 5 seconds into the fight when you realize something fishy is going on and by then its just eyeroll "fine, I'll walk back".

Look, don't get me wrong. It takes no time at all to hit 50 and then this goes away. Its just an odd peculiarity that has no reason to exist aside from bad oversight or general laziness in itemization. Maybe this is just really self-obvious to me because I spent the last month playing Archeage which actually makes leveling in FFA PVP zones fun and engaging, and that game ALSO has an itemization system that allows decent fights between a lvl 30 and a lvl 45.

Flank_sl

shitlord
It's an ego thing. I don't like to be outplayed. I am usually one to adapt so that I always have a chance to win, but at the moment I feel completely constrained by needing so many of my 8 skills just to kill basic mobs, while other classes can farm with 2 or 3 skills and then have the utility in there. It might just be that I don't understand the game enough yet, but I cannot see how a medic can farm effectively without an absolute minimum of 6 straight damage skills and a heal.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's an ego thing. I don't like to be outplayed. I am usually one to adapt so that I always have a chance to win, but at the moment I feel completely constrained by needing so many of my 8 skills just to kill basic mobs, while other classes can farm with 2 or 3 skills and then have the utility in there. It might just be that I don't understand the game enough yet, but I cannot see how a medic can far effectively without an absolute minimum of 6 straight damage skills and a heal.
They probably can't, at least my medic doesn't. Class imbalances at various levels and stealth are the reason I level up on PVE servers now, and I say that as someone who has been very into PVP in all the mmorpgs I've played. The idea of world PVP is great... the menace of a constant threat, always looking over your shoulder etc etc etc. The stark reality is that most of the time you get ganked at half hp or ganked by a group and the outcome of the small amount of fair fights probably come down to class imbalances given more or less equal levels of skill because mmorpgs don't balance pvp at lower levels.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
who can guild invite? add me harfle
FYI Cannot join a guild if you are on a 7 day trial still.

@Flank. Entire reason I played on a PvE server this time around. I have Archeage for all of the PvP ganking I'll ever desire.

Kasted_sl

shitlord
If you are going to be questing as a medic on a pvp server, there are a few things you really need to do. First thing is make sure you have a dps suit for questing and another healing suit for whenever you need to heal. The only 2 heal skills you really need to slot when questing are crisis wave and shield surge. If those aren't sufficient to keep you alive, you would have died anyways. If you really want to be annoying you could slot calm and when you are jumped, just run around and aggro everything you can and then hit calm and watch all of them concentrate on the attacker.

You won't win every fight, but medic is by no means weak in open world.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
The huge medic AoE that they can place down and walk away from is ridiculously strong in the Walatiki Temple.

You just literally cannot pick any objective up because they can just place it down and continue fighting any team mates trying to distract them.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
FYI Cannot join a guild if you are on a 7 day trial still.

@Flank. Entire reason I played on a PvE server this time around. I have Archeage for all of the PvP ganking I'll ever desire.
I understand why they block trial scrubs like me from /zone chat and other things(hello gold spammers), but joining a guild? So basically I'm limited to the (IMO) worst part of the game: early level yellow (!) mushroom collecting quests, and lots of slow running everywhere.

I give them props for launching a smooth game, with bonus points for SLI actually working in an MMO release! But I just find it boring. I was smart enough to roll on a PvE server ahead of time, so I was looking forward to whatever they call their battlegrounds. But reading the official forums, I find they're rife with AFKers with no action taken, and worse, speed hackers running rampant instantly capping objectives. Time will tell how they handle things, but back when Rift launched and every BG had 4-5 afkers, the same guys for months, I felt a game with no active GMs didn't warrant a sub fee.

I'll keep an eye on this one for now. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. /shrug

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So just about to hit 46, decided to start playing with the costume system because I was looking like a clown rape took place. Not awful, I guess... just need more dyes.
rrr_img_68622.png

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll keep an eye on this one for now. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. /shrug
Considering you're making judgments based on what you've read on the forums, I'd say so. I haven't seen too many AFKers, and zero exploiters. Not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen it as a 'rampant issue'.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just hit 15 on my engineer and it is ok, but I feel like I somwtimes have trouble especially if I over pull. I tried this setup:
Engineer Builder - WS-Base

But it felt like I couldn't build volatility. So I went back to pulse blast/electricity/bio shell. I think maybe I just need a few levels to sort it out.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
On that note, here's some addons Im using that I can't see playing without. Aythquest is particularly great, thanks to the person who posted that earlier in this thread.

AMPFinder - tells you where to get amps from your amp window, or type /ampfinder to tell you what amps are available in your area (also useful for locating the reputation vendor since theyre the ones that usually sell them ) -AMP Finder - Miscellaneous - WildStar Addons - Curse

Auramastery - displays cooldowns in the form of a button to easier see whats available when -AuraMastery - Buffs and Debuffs - WildStar Addons - Curse

Aythquest - points towards nearest quest and dot trails available quests nearby in green and items/mobs/etc -Ayth_Quest - Quests and Leveling - WildStar Addons - Curse

CheatSimon - automates the simplesimon pads -CheatSimon - Miscellaneous - WildStar Addons - Curse

CustomFov - adjusts FoV -CustomFoV - Miscellaneous - WildStar Addons - Curse

IconLoot - displays icons when you pick up rares etc, makes it more noticible when you get some good loot/quest starting items etcIconLoot - Bags, Bank and Inventory - WildStar Addons - Curse

NoisyQ - makes an annoying noise when queue pops if youre out of the room/alt tabbed etc -NoisyQ - Miscellaneous - WildStar Addons - Curse

ProcsHuD - displays icon when reactive abilities are up (such as atomize etc) -ProcsHUD - Buffs and Debuffs - WildStar Addons - Curse

Scastbar - gives you a cast bar in the centre of your screen or wherever you like -SCastBar - Action Bars - WildStar Addons - Curse

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Awesome new bag addon.

I know I can't be the only one who was waiting for an addon like this to fix the clusterfuck that is the inventory system.

Serenity_Bags - Bags, Bank and Inventory - WildStar Addons - Curse
I'll have to give that a try. The thing that annoys me the most about the bags is there's no way I've found to just collapse loot. You can have it organize by category, rarity, or alphabetically, none of which I like since it makes it hard to tell what new items I've picked up. And it's either that or just have a chaotic mess. It's one of those things that really makes me wonder what they were thinking.

misery_sl

shitlord
I'm glad there's so much customization opportunity with all the addons and such, but addon hell was really not something I wanted to get back into. I remember that shit from WoW... Constantly updating my addons, rearranging everything, dealing with addon issues. I'm in the fuck addons boat right now.

Also, I'm still having fun, but the boring quests are really starting to wear on me. I'll say I play for a month or two tops. Depends how much better things get when I buy a computer that I can actually play the game decently on.

Also phasing is cool, but I'm getting tired of barely seeing anyone around when I'm leveling. The first 20 levels has really felt a bit like playing a single player game.