Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
They would be smart to do something like the story quest xp boost that swtor has for subs. I would probably sub if I could cut through the bullshit to check out stuff.

I'm not slogging through 60 hours of content though.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
The focus of the game seemed off for what the market would bear. My largest peeve with the game, that I remember now, was the extreme focus on interrupts. It seemed to be the least interesting part of combat that would absolutely ruin your attempt if a few, occasionally just one, were missed. Throw in a disconnect, one suboptimal player, etc. and you were in a situation to have a bad time.
Interrupts are fine. Interrupt armor is dogshit.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I feel like Wildstar had a lot of potential early on, but bugs, bad optimization, and gold farmers ruined it. Hopefully this gives it a second life like Star Wars got. I still believe this game can be good.
ProTip: None of those were the reason WS cratered.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
They would be smart to do something like the story quest xp boost that swtor has for subs. I would probably sub if I could cut through the bullshit to check out stuff.

I'm not slogging through 60 hours of content though.
They are. Subscribers get 25% more exp, plus an additional (I'm guessing) 25% during holiday events.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Why do I get the feeling that I missed some kind of argument and I'm about to accidentally start this shit up again?

Caliane

#1 reason WS tanked: its not WoW.
#2 reason. It doesn't have the words: world. Warcraft, or Of in the title.
#3. "Hardcore".
#4. sub fee, in a game market where player time is the precious commodity.
#5. shitballs tutorial that really did a pisspoor job of selling the game. Taking like 2 hours before you can actually start playing the game.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
It wasn't the price that drove me away from Wildstar. It was the gameplay. I just didn't have fun at all. In attempting to make it "Hard Core" they actually made it tedious and frustrating. Which is a shame. I love the setting and atmosphere of this game. But its class design, itemization, and combat mechanics are all awful. Free to play will not change this.

If they could somehow merge this game with Tera gameplay (if they want action MMO) or FFXIV gameplay (if they want traditional MMO) they could charge $25 a month and I'd still subscribe.

Such a waste...

Stave

Potato del Grande
It wasn't the price that drove me away from Wildstar. It was the gameplay. I just didn't have fun at all. In attempting to make it "Hard Core" they actually made it tedious and frustrating. Which is a shame. I love the setting and atmosphere of this game. But its class design, itemization, and combat mechanics are all awful. Free to play will not change this.

If they could somehow merge this game with Tera gameplay (if they want action MMO) or FFXIV gameplay (if they want traditional MMO) they could charge $25 a month and I'd still subscribe.

Such a waste...
Yeah they had probably the best setting since WoW when it comes to MMO's. I actually wanted to explore the world and the videos really drew me in. But it was just executed soooo horribly. It's like they had a winning ticket and threw it in the fire. Obviously a redo will never happen with this game, so it will never be fully fixable, but I think F2P is at least a start in the right direction. And regardless about what some say, with the mouse click mod, this game had combat almost as good as Tera IMO.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here we go again:

1) People left because WS action combat gets tedious after a while, it lacks important features (like, which are the really dangerous telegraphs? you know, I can't dodge them all) and frankly healing was shitty and frustrating beyond measure, with your team mates actively trying to avoid your heals.
2) Interrupt armor in solo content was idiotic. Interrupt armor by itself is a bad mechanic.
3) Dungeon difficulty right out of the gate at level 20 (e.g. Stormtalon) wasn't good for pugs.
4) Loot was boring.
5) Rune system was retarded.
6) Quest bloat, literally. Whitevale around the level 20 or so was stuffed with pointless quests and so many of them it got ridicolous. At some point you could get 10% of a level killing mobs and 1% for handing in the quest.

many many more points.

I'll be honest, f2p that lets me play around for a bit would see me logging in again, for art style and lore enjoyment at least.

Caliane

exp? does exp have a use at max level?

Anyway, I was pretty vocal about liking this game alot at release.
Personally, I just couldn't justify paying a sub fee with my limited play times. this doubly so with the games "hardcore" nature, requiring guilds, and actual commitment to do anything.

f2p i may toss some cash in here and there, if only to play around with housing and the like. will have to see how the f2p pans out.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Not enough imo.
This.

Honestly the story wasn't all that interesting. Created Spirit Mother Super Being needs help from the space Zombies who gots da Creep. At least TOR had some decent paths that took a little off the boredom but there really isn't any difference in WS leveling and TOR.

Btw: this isn't anything different that is done with these failures out of the gate nowadays and cracks me up when people applaud them doing something they have no other choice to do. If your game fails nowadays, you have to give people the whole shop as if they were subbing unlike MMOs before. You gate shit off, they'll go right back to /uinstall.

ESO did exactly the same thing/model plan with their game; no restrictions of content for Freebs but a 10% XP bonus, some shop money and other stuff for subs, except you had to have to buy the box. With TOR you have to sub to really get into the game but with these newer two, you don't really need to sub because you're not missing much entertainment-wise for your dollar (literally and figuratively).

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I wish they'd ditch the faction divide for f2p also. Worst fucking mmo feature ever created. Thanks WoW.

Yes I know DAoC did it first but that's different. :p

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
exp? does exp have a use at max level?
Yes. When you hit 50, your exp earns you "Elder Gems" which you can spend on hoverboards, housing plugs, gear, AMP points, etc. And, unless it's changed, you need 150 Elder Gems to start the raid attunement process. You are limited to earning 140 Elder Gems per week, and after that your exp is converted into money. I'm curious is the 25% exp gain and 25% money gain stack when you hit this point.

I wish they'd ditch the faction divide for f2p also. Worst fucking mmo feature ever created. Thanks WoW.
At least they finally made it so battlegrounds aren't limited to Exile vs. Dominion. Things have always been so lopsided that all that did was make queues much longer for Exile players.

But, yeah, I've never really understood why effectively cutting your playerbase in half is a good idea, especially with as hard as it is for MMOs to gain a foothold nowadays. Honestly, I think at least a little bit of Wildstar's problems could've been mitigated had they not gone with restricted factions. When your playerbase is declining, all this does is make servers look all the more empty because you're only interacting with roughly half the server - or likely much less in the case of Dominion.

Btw: this isn't anything different that is done with these failures out of the gate nowadays and cracks me up when people applaud them doing something they have no other choice to do. If your game fails nowadays, you have to give people the whole shop as if they were subbing unlike MMOs before. You gate shit off, they'll go right back to /uinstall.
I don't applaud them for having to do it. Honestly, MMOs should just launch as F2P so they don't later have to shoehorn a system in that basically amounts to the devs sitting back and seeing what things they can take away from free players.

What I do applaud them on is not going overboard on the restrictions and trying to incentivize subscribing instead. I had an interest in trying TOR when it went F2P, but between bullshit like limiting how many Flashpoints and Warzones you can do, not being able to equip rare items, and limiting hotbars, it just didn't feel like it was worth it. Wildstar obviously has restrictions with this system, but none of them include blocking off content or making travel more tedious.

I think/hope this will benefit Wildstar in the long run, because it presents a much game to new players. Honestly, the only MMOs I've ever spent money on were ones I enjoyed, and I've never been able to enjoy the F2P MMO like ToR because it basically just gives you a very watered down version of the game.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
What I do applaud them on is not going overboard on the restrictions and trying to incentivize subscribing instead. I had an interest in trying TOR when it went F2P, but between bullshit like limiting how many Flashpoints and Warzones you can do, not being able to equip rare items, and limiting hotbars, it just didn't feel like it was worth it. Wildstar obviously has restrictions with this system, but none of them include blocking off content or making travel more tedious.
See the problem is... they didn't havea choice. That's what I'm telling you whether you see/believe that or not. This is WildStar. What the fuck is a Wildstar? TOR could get away with what they did because they were Star Wars; chop the game up and put it behind walls... and that was just barely before people started looking up.

ESO had to give the store away because of the console version they are launching. They don't want the console players to enter into a ghost town after dropping money on it and the only way to do that is to make sure the beta playe... err... PC players, wouldn't have any financial/content restrictions for logging in. There is no console version of TOR so if you don't pay.. go pound sand.

If they tried to chop this game up and hide it behind walls, not only would the players thinking about coming back for F2P not deal with it, the subs wouldn't deal with that kind of stupidity either. Not that it would hurt them since they are paying, but to witness such an obvious idiot move would show they are further out of touch than when they all believed the industry was ready for a hardcore raiding game again.

Basically, you still are applauding them for the video game equivalent of paying court-ordered child support. If they don't, they got more troubles.