Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know what makes you think Carbine didn't have a choice in what kind of F2P system they implemented. They very easily could've come up with a more restrictive system since that's de rigueur among F2P MMOs,even onesthat don't have the sort ofbrand recognitionStar Wars has. They could've implemented a similar system without raising too many eyebrows, especially given how many things in Wildstar could be gated without impacting the leveling experience too much (house upgrades, mount flair, tradeskill restrictions, battleground limitations, etc.). Not to mention, NCSoft has implemented these sorts ofF2P systems in the past.

Would going the TOR route be a mistake? Most likely, but let's not pretend Carbine hasn't made mistakes in the past. They could've screwed-the-pooch on this, but thankfully theychoseto go with one of the least restrictive F2P systems I've seen.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I don't know what makes you think Carbine didn't have a choice in what kind of F2P system they implemented.
Carbine:"Hey boss, we have a great idea for an MMO. Hardcore raiding mixed with a shitload of dodging mechanics every few seconds, coupled with a bunch of gating. A game only for the bestest of the best of the best. Best of all, it'll have a sub! It'll kill! What do you think?"
NCSoft:"Well, we aren't really that type of company but I guess it could work... okay. We'll give you a shot. But you know how we feel about profitable games."
Carbine:"Pfft, no problemo. Just wait, you'll see. With WoW fading (and we should know... wecamefrom there!) everyone will flock to our game and we'll probably sell two million boxes easy. People are starving for this!"

time warp...

NCSoft:"Okay, about those sales and this game. Um... were are all the people?"
Carbine:"Just a small snag. We'll keep the sub, re-organize and we'll still rake it all in. If things go really bad, we can always go B2P."
NCSoft:"STFU. We're driving now. F2P this shit."

*edit: Wait. You're saying TERA is more restrictive than TOR? I didn't play it longer than a week but I heard it was less restrictive than just about any F2P game other thanRift.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I wish they'd ditch the faction divide for f2p also. Worst fucking mmo feature ever created. Thanks WoW.

Yes I know DAoC did it first but that's different. :p
Fucking thank you. The faction mechanic has been horseshit and meaningless for about 8 years now.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
10 years. It was horseshit as soon as the first shaman item dropped for alliance. Hi2u double Infernal Headcage Kazzak, or I shit you not Kel'thuzad shaman ring first week and that coding fuckup was never reimbursed.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Carbine:"Hey boss, we have a great idea for an MMO. Hardcore raiding mixed with a shitload of dodging mechanics every few seconds, coupled with a bunch of gating. A game only for the bestest of the best of the best. Best of all, it'll have a sub! It'll kill! What do you think?"
NCSoft:"Well, we aren't really that type of company but I guess it could work... okay. We'll give you a shot. But you know how we feel about profitable games."
Carbine:"Pfft, no problemo. Just wait, you'll see. With WoW fading (and we should know... wecamefrom there!) everyone will flock to our game and we'll probably sell two million boxes easy. People are starving for this!"

time warp...

NCSoft:"Okay, about those sales and this game. Um... were are all the people?"
Carbine:"Just a small snag. We'll keep the sub, re-organize and we'll still rake it all in. If things go really bad, we can always go B2P."
NCSoft:"STFU. We're driving now. F2P this shit."
How does this respond in any way to what I said? Reread what you quoted:

I don't know what makes you think Carbine didn't have a choicein what kind of F2P system they implemented.

Again, I'm not applauding them for going F2P. I'm not refuting that this is more or less Wildstar's last stand. What I am applauding is thesystemthey are implementing. Wildstar might not have had a choice in going F2P, but they did have a choice in the way they are doing it.

*edit: Wait. You're saying TERA is more restrictive than TOR? I didn't play it longer than a week but I heard it was less restrictive than just about any F2P game other thanRift.
No, I'm saying it is more restrictive thanWildstar- less daily quests, certain dungeons/raids can only be done half as much per day, etc. Wildstar isn't restricting content in this fashion.

Zastlyn

Peasant
How's the PvP in this game? I got it from the humble bundle, is the population even at all? Is it remotely fair and balanced at all?

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
How's the PvP in this game? I got it from the humble bundle, is the population even at all? Is it remotely fair and balanced at all?
PvP is some of the absolute best you will find thanks to the combat system. But, there aren't a lot of people interested in doing the structured stuff right now, it seems.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So I'm curious as to how the F2P is looking for this game? I enjoyed the time I played, and if there's a community again I might pop back in.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
What are the chances that this game will be brought back to life by f2p? I know it happens sometimes. Happened to Star Wars IIRC. But then again, that's star wars.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I loved this game, it definitely had flaws, but it was the only MMO that felt a level beyond the others in difficulty to me. That said, to save this game they have to PreSkool it to death and add a bunch of stuff for casuals. If they save this game it's going to be a year after F2P.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I loved this game, it definitely had flaws, but it was the only MMO that felt a level beyond the others in difficulty to me. That said, to save this game they have to PreSkool it to death and add a bunch of stuff for casuals. If they save this game it's going to be a year after F2P.
I enjoyed it a lot as well. Hopefully they still make some hardcore content, though. Casuals keep the game alive, but the hardcore players always inspire the rest. That's how I've always seen it, anyway.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I like Wildstar because it, along with Vanguard, provedbeyond a shadow of a doubtthat designing an MMO for people like youdoesn't work. gg next map~

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I like Wildstar because it, along with Vanguard, provedbeyond a shadow of a doubtthat designing an MMO for people like youdoesn't work. gg next map~
Vanguard was around for a decent period of time and was the best MMO in history as far as I am concerned. The design wasn't the problem, the technical issues that drove off the masses for the first year+ was the problem. It was competing with a lot of MMO's and people just aren't going to play a game that had that many bugs etc typically. I don't think any one ever has said the design was bad....fucking pre change Chaos Volley & Blood Mages alone made it the greatest MMO of all time

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Nothing will ever "compete" with something that's intentionally designed to soak up as much money from the average masses as possible, while still drip-feeding enough "good" to all the niche-lovers at the same time. Any idiot knows that. It doesn't mean that something more geared toward one of those niches can't be a good (or even better) game, whether or not it pulls in zillions of dollars for Kotick.

Carl_sl

shitlord
The complaint for vanguard was that it was too buggy, the complaint for wild star was that it was too hard. The game was as polished as any mmo ever released and still everyone stepped away because the content was hard and getting in to raiding was like slamming your dick in a door.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I heard more complaints that the game was bland and boring. "Hard" was the second most complaint I've heard from people who actually made it to the second month of playing.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I heard more complaints that the game was bland and boring. "Hard" was the second most complaint I've heard from people who actually made it to the second month of playing.
I never raided (I barely hit max level), but I liked the game. Picking explorer/builder/etc as a second career was nice. The explorer stuff and jumping puzzles were very engaging for me.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
The complaint for vanguard was that it was too buggy, the complaint for wild star was that it was too hard. The game was as polished as any mmo ever released and still everyone stepped away because the content was hard and getting in to raiding was like slamming your dick in a door.
That really wasn't the problem for me. It's been a while since I played but I'll list my grievances.

1. One thing I hated was the tutorial level. It was fine the first time, but every time you made a character you had to do it again. There was no option to skip it, which was bullshit. To be fair FFXIV has the same fucking problem. From what I understand though, they've redone the tutorial level and may actually let you skip it in the FTP game.

2. Challenge quests were cool, but there were entirely to fucking many of them. They were literally spamming me at points in the game. It went from something I loved to stop and do, to something that made me roll my eyes every 2 minutes... Because you'd run into a new one EVERY TWO MINUTES.

3. At the higher levels mining was a bitch because these god damn gold farmers would mine up everything. It was infuriating as someone who mined.

The community in the game at the time was pretty toxic as well.

I do think they needed to add more variation to combat in that game as well. I don't know if the telegraph system was a good idea. I think instead of colors telling you where things are going to hit, perhaps animations would have been a better thing to do. But probably far more expensive.

I hope the game comes back and does well. It's housing was INSANE. Best housing system I've ever seen bar none. I enjoyed pvping a bit too, which is unusual for me. You could definitely feel that the developers had a lot of love for the game, and it did remind me a lot of classic WoW in many ways.