Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nothing like all your armor looking like complete corroded shit no matter how high level you were! Then the koreans came and fixed stuff so it didn't look like complete shit.

I like the art style in Wildstar, it's the mechanic design decisions that I wasn't a fan of.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Odd that your complaining a game released years ago wasn't at a level graphically that cards today still can't handle
I'd say ffxiv has a much better graphics style (including a lot of areas which are steampunk and thematically similar to stuff in wild star, even though most ffxiv is more high fantasy) and came out at/before wild star. Just mentioned black desert as an example of what's out currently that looks nice, , but not the type of raid centric mmo I'd want. Did not say that's some bare minimum of graphical fidelity. But as kreugen put it, 'rainbow vomit' art style of wild star is not my thing

xzi

Mouthbreather
I was so fucking excited for this game, man. Best playerhousing to exist. Good raids. Too bad about everything else.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm sure it was a good game. The designers had some interesting ideas and implementation. I tried it in beta, and the ground targeting system was a complete let down for me, so never picked it up. I think after wild star I just gave up on the idea that I would find an MMO that could keep me entertained like WoW does. So I just WoW for a month or 2, cancel, resub when the next patch hits.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everyone I knew from WoW and FF14 tried the beta, laughed, and we all agreed it was DOA. Wasn't even worth the effort to trash talk it on forums.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
tumblr_mqisatMYig1rv6ukfo1_400.gif

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Sad to hear. Had quite a bit of fun when the game came out; atmosphere was fun and the housing was alot of fun to experiment with.

I kind of feel they pushed a bit too hard with the constant dodging and CC shield break mechanics in the dungeons. Stuff was brutal for any kind of PUG to try and do, especially when I think most healers only had like 1 small targetted heal, everything else was ground target or cone heals.

Course, I'm still a bit bitter about NCSoft shutting down City of Heroes, so its sad to see another MMO go down, even if it had petered out.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They had great art direction and animation for the various characters and beasties. I really liked some of the ground targeting stuff, but yeah it was seriously overturned to be hardcore when there weren't enough paying customers to do such a thing.

I had hopes that it would get revitalized to make use of the setting and general content with more user-friendly mechanics but I guess that was not to be.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yes. What makes it even funnier is just how amazing some of the 40 man raids were from a challenge perspective (at least, what wasn't broken). GA was difficult when you first broke into it but Datascape was on a whole different level. I think raid concepts like the elemental pairings are rad and it's a shame that we won't see anything like it ever again.

Before anyone jumps on the post: I'm not saying that I think Wildstar's model is feasible. I'm not saying that it's good. I'm saying that if you're part of the 1% you did yourself a disservice by not getting to experience Datascape because we'll never see anything quite like it again.

Nineteen minutes of boss fight with tons of phases including little puzzle sections. It looks both incredible and miserable.

There's been a few games over the years that I really liked that died a death or that I can't get anyone to ever play again so I have some empathy for those of you that played Wildstar, liked it despite its flaws, and are sad to see it go.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Just another game NCSoft has mishandled.
Killing off City of Heroes was a massive betrayal, no other game can hold a candle to the way that game handled combat - the level of interactions possible with various effects and control mechanics, along with dynamically scaling the challenges you and your team encounter still haven't been seen again.

Wildstar was innovative as well, incorporating some twitch elements, requiring coordination, and making you pay attention to the situation rather than flowing through fights mashing keys thoughtlessly. The barrier to enter any content at the end of the levelling process was a bit much, but that shouldn't have stopped the developers from being allowed to invest resources on iterating.

That's what NCSoft does though.
You get to launch a game, and it better be perfect and successful. If it's not and it requires more work, well; bye.

• 1Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
Sad to hear. Had quite a bit of fun when the game came out; atmosphere was fun and the housing was alot of fun to experiment with.

I kind of feel they pushed a bit too hard with the constant dodging and CC shield break mechanics in the dungeons. Stuff was brutal for any kind of PUG to try and do, especially when I think most healers only had like 1 small targetted heal, everything else was ground target or cone heals.

Course, I'm still a bit bitter about NCSoft shutting down City of Heroes, so its sad to see another MMO go down, even if it had petered out.

Yes. I remember being so hyped for this game, and then at the 11th hour they cratered to the vocal poopsockers and announced "HARDCORE!!!" That was a huge deal in WOW at the time where Blizz was getting a lot of backlash for catering to casuals, so Wildstar thought they had an opportunity when in fact the should have realized casuals are by far the majority.

When your entry level teen level "Wailing Caverns" dungeon is tuned harder than a mythic+, and takes multiple hours to complete due to tons of wipes if you dont play perfect, your game is fucked. It's a shame really. They could have catered to both casuals and hardcore or had regular and mythic style dungeons and raids, but instead they destroyed any chance they had of taking off before they even launched. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when some manager announced they were switching to hardcore at some monday morning staff meeting. Did we ever have any Wildstar devs post here? I cant remember.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I think they had some free trial a bit after release. I don't remember much about the game, but I liked the professions. Like you could pick Science, and scan and learn things about the planet's history, was kind of neat.

But then I made it past the starter zone, grabbed 20 really un-optomized quests from 2 different hubs in the next one, and quickly became bored to tears.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I thought the game was shit during beta tbh, never understood the pre-release hype.

• 1Solidarity