Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

DMK_sl

shitlord
To be honest all game journo's should be at least ok at all genres and better then average at a specific one.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
All the game journalists I've talked to, like ones who do it full time, are really bad at video games (or at least MMORPGs) and really shouldn't be covering them in depth at all. They constantly ask the most retarded questions.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Being a proficient writer and researching a game doesn't make you a good gamer, though most of these clowns pretend to be.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If you expect a gaming journalist to be a good/great gamer then I assume you're expecting political correspondents to be good politicians? Movie Critics to be good directors?

eek_sl

shitlord
If you expect a gaming journalist to be a good/great gamer then I assume you're expecting political correspondents to be good politicians? Movie Critics to be good directors?
That's a silly comparison. I expect media journalists and critics to have a good understanding of their specific media. I don't expect them to be able to craft their specific media. A movie critic doesn't have to be a good director, just like a gaming journalist doesn't have to be a good developer, or a music journalist a good singer. The problem here is that video games are the only media where the creation of the product and enjoyment of it are both skill based. You can't really measure or develop incredible music listening or movie watching skills. However, I do believe that a person who devotes the majority of their time to a specific video game genre should have a "gaming skills" that reflect that. Short of physical handicaps, anyone who spends significant time playing video games will have a modicum of recognizable skills. If a gaming journalist is running a demo, and has clearly very little developed muscle memory, innate reflexes, or general gaming knowledge, then, to me, they lose credibility.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The real problem is game studios allow and gaming sites hire journalists that are clickers. NEvER LET A CLICKER DEMO YOUR GAME. If you're a game studio and you bring a journo in from Massively to look at your new shiny build and you see him sit down to play and he beginnings clicking abilities RUN TO THE SERVER AND PULL THE PLUG. Then act like there is some weird technical problem so maybe next time.

Or pull the fire alarm. One of the lead developers from Anet (Jon Peters?) is a clicker I think. I was watching a presentation at one of the PAX shows (or maybe NYCC?) where he was going over a demo he filmed himself. Clickclickclickclickclicklcick

Rolled my eyes.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Meh nothing wrong with some clicking. I use a G13 and i still click some abilities even tho i also have a logitech mmo gaming mouse. You can be good at gaming/mmo's and still click.

eek_sl

shitlord
Meh nothing wrong with some clicking. I use a G13 and i still click some abilities even tho i also have a logitech mmo gaming mouse. You can be good at gaming/mmo's and still click.
Yeah, I click my out-of-combat buffs, consumables, and transportation skills all the time.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about people who literally click every skill besides the 1 key. Hell sometimes they click the damn one key.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I click my out-of-combat buffs, consumables, and transportation skills all the time.
I don't really consider that clicking though.

Clicking would infer (IMHO) clicking abilities on your action bar that are common rotation (in rotation games).

Consumables, I usually kept at or around center screen (where my mouse defaults to unconsciously) and were always clicked or, if they became common rotation, made a mousebind.

The only time "clicking vs keybind" should really be heard about is in a professional level competition simply because clicking involves more thought devoted to completing an action. Theoretically a clicker should lose to a keybinder on an equal playing field but there is the crux, it is theory and only in a perfect circumstance will there be a perfectly aligned skill comparison between 2 people. Most times the difference between clicking and keybinding will be lost in the skill gap between one player to another.

eek_sl

shitlord
I was being facetious....

clicker, keyboard turner, whatever. If you play mmos to a point where you devote your professional life to writing about them for little monetary reward, then you should do neither.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You know how you can press A and D (default settings in most games) and turn your character? Imagine using that instead of holding down the right mouse button and moving your mouse.

Abefroman_sl said:
Coming from the guy who rages against controllers.
I knew you plebs would fail to understand. The key part is "the end result is all that matters".

Draegan_sl said:
Turning speed via keys is not as fast as turning via mouse, so the end result is never the same.
But we are talking about MMO's here, not FPS's. In a shooter it's all about fast turning, someone runs up behind you with a shotgun, unless you can turn 180 degrees and shoot in a split second, you're dead. MMO's aren't like that. You can get by turning with your keys just fine, especially if you have your action keys bound to your mouse. That way you can run around turning with keys and trigger stuff with your thumb and fingers on the right hand.

And then in a lot of games, like Vanguard, A and D are for turning, Q and E are for strafing. In games like GW2 and TSW when you can double tap to dive, I prefer to switch it around so A and D are for strafing and I use the mouse to turn.

But like I said... the end result is all that matters. Talking about people clicking this or clicking that is missing the point. There will be someone out there who still uses the arrow keys and a mouse with a ball in it, who could wupp everyones ass at any game you can think of. Except of course, me.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Are you fucking Skip Bayless? I swear you find the dumbest possible position to have on a subject and just go full retard. It is a FACT that if you take two players of equal skill and have one keyboard turn and one use a mouse, the keyboard turner is going to lose.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
I knew you plebs would fail to understand. The key part is "the end result is all that matters".
In a shooter it's all about fast turning, someone runs up behind you with a shotgun, unless you can turn 180 degrees and shoot in a split second, you're dead. MMO's aren't like that.
Every MMO encounter with a "Don't stand in red stuff" mechanic (So, you know, practically every modern MMO encounter) says you're wrong. Unless you just always run out in the direction you happen to be facing already, turning certainly matters.

The most obvious example (probably because it has the most ridiculously high level of fail for such an easy encounter) is the Heigan encounter in Naxxrammas in WoW. To avoid poison explosions, you had to follow a simple pattern that involved running to one side of the room and then... wait for it... *turning around* and running back the other way. And back in the 40 man days it felt like every week, we'd see the bench-warmers run to one side and then stand around and drop dead when the poison exploded underneath them. And then we'd go on and beat it with however many people were left, because it really was stupidly easy once you knew the pattern (assuming you didn't lag, which is another issue entirely)

Seeing as this was once a Wildstar thread, I feel the need to reiterate that practically the entirety of Wildstar's combat mechanics seem to involve "Don't stand in red stuff". If you can just chain roll in a direction to get out of them, great, but somehow I expect there will come a time when your roll cooldown is up, and you don't want to go forward, and you will need to turn on a relatively quick timer or get pummeled by something nasty.

It's pretty clear based on observed behaviour and your reputation comments that it's pointless actually discussing this with you though, so I'm just going to disengage now.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Except of course, me.
You can't win if you don't play...and, judging from all your posts, you don't play any of the games you post in threads about because they:

Not brown enough
Too easy
Don't have the right controler feel to them
Don't tickle that ONE spot just to the left of your asshole that you love so much.

So I guess, it's about time..

Madsapper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Haven't been keeping up on all the derp posts in the thread, is qwerty seriously saying "console controllers" in a thread for an mmo designed for PC's and only PC's?, or is that some previous stupid being brought up again?