Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I got to lvl 36 on my medic.... and not much changed from 14-36 except I got more abilities and my previous ones did more dmg if I tiered them, the class played the exact same, biggest game changer was field surgeon at uh 24? for healing that is.

the amps are disgustingly boring, 1% to critical chance for 6 nodes? or something retarded, then you can branch out and get some amps that act as actual skills, and these aren't interesting at all alot seemed passive.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I asked the question because from my knowledge neither Method, Envy or Blood Legion (WoW world's top 5 guilds) are in any Wildstar beta right now.
Well depends on your sources? If you know people in them and they told you maybe they're not but otherwise they wouldn't publicly say they're in a beta that is even more hidden than the normal closed beta and that they're testing endgame content there. And could be different guilds, they don't have to be the actual top, they probably just looked at guilds that had very large roster(guilds that run 2 or 3 raids in wow, cause you know, a 25man raid guild wouldn't cut it to test 40man content) and decent enough experience with endgame raiding and were motivated. Could be #1 of some backwater server that ends up being #75 world wide but that's still good enough to test the first tier of content.

I don't know but they invited some people anyway and are testing it. Wether keeping it small and hoping nothing breaks once more people do the content is a good idea or not though, not sure.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you're in, play at least one character to 20. Play a few classes. If you think it's dog shit, great. Don't play it. If you like it, great. Continue to play it. I've beta tested every game since WoW and alpha tested some, doesn't mean I can tell you this game is a WoW killer or a 30 day bust. And I don't anyone else can.
i can tell you it will hemorage players after 30 days. Not because of anything to do with the game, thats just the nature of the genre right now. Game will launch, everyone will jump in to try it. Cant please everyone, a big percentage will leave.

and Ive just been told by a friend that his guild is raid testing and they have the achievements to make it believable. While i dont mind risking my beta access by shitting all over the nda, i dont want to get him or his guys in trouble.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think 40 man raiding is going to be as popular as they think. That's my biggest concern. People are going to rush to end game and then be disappointed having to form such large raids, and the sacrifices that come with it (mostly putting up with a large number of assholes or baddies just to reach the magic number). If they had any sense, they'd be working on a Flex Raid solution before the game launches. Make 40-man drop the best loot, and scale it down all the way to 10 man.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't be shocked if some kind of flex system is in the works, even if its used as a fallback.

I actually enjoy the larger raids, as it actually feels like a raid(unlike 10 ppl going in and killing some deity, god, super-bad ass etc).

Xevy

Log Wizard
40 Man's are an on-the-fence issue. It sucks getting 40 competent players who's schedules align to do something that can take several hours. I like that the hardcore brahs can earn their top gear and know it's 'earned' and scrubby dubbies can just drool. The scaling thing brings the problem where you're really running a 10 man and if you have more people it scales up so that those extra zerglings can get loot too. Not as prestigious to me.

Sometimes you want to have that fucking sword on fire that makes the newbs send you tells asking where you got it. That's more my preference than a requirement though.

Defiance

<Bronze Donator>
I'm already tired of the game and it's not even out yet. This game is painfully boring.

Remember when installing a new game was fun? Lately, MMO's have all had one nice feature in common, the uninstall link.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think 40 man raiding is going to be as popular as they think. That's my biggest concern. People are going to rush to end game and then be disappointed having to form such large raids, and the sacrifices that come with it (mostly putting up with a large number of assholes or baddies just to reach the magic number). If they had any sense, they'd be working on a Flex Raid solution before the game launches. Make 40-man drop the best loot, and scale it down all the way to 10 man.
Gotta agree. There is an entire generation of MMO gamers that never played everquest. Or if they did, they were 12 years old getting carried in Dreadlands/Overthere and think that counts. They don't remember (because they dont have any reason to remember) the bad that comes with the good. It's not finding 40 people that like each other and can work as a team. It's finding 40 people that can stand to be in the same room with each other for more than 30 minutes without being paid cash money to do it, and making sure that at least 10-15 of them can shoulder their part of the load and herd the cats.

The most enjoyment to come from 40man raids will be in watching the "oldskool hardcore" guys who are begging for the return to that sort of play being the first ones kicked out the door. It's gonna be funny. And I am going to try to be in a few, because that will happen in raid chat or raid vent. I'll happily be a cat if it means watching someone get publicly shamed.

It's good that they're not married to the idea. I can already tell them exactly how that is going to fly. And it's good that they're going to do at least one or two of them. Shit, between the vanguard players tellin us they used to be hardcore and the 16 year olds stroking their epeen in public chats about how their guild does 40mans every day NP... that's a social dynamic which is gonna be fucking hilarious.

Basically: Pay per view Bumfights.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I think 40 man raids are actually a step in the right direction if there is a good raid finder sort of utility and if the game doesn't insulate players into little guild niches. I liked them in WOW, and with a game with as flexible a class system as Wildstar has it should be far easier to get the right mix which was the biggest problem in Warcraft.

I've gotten nowhere near the endgame so I have no idea what's what there. It sounds like Wildstar is designing around that, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
40 man raiding

1 tank
11 healers
28 people who can press 1 for 12 minutes

Plus add ons that make healing easy
Along with an instance or three , so a healer can power leveled on a wed/thur binge for weekend raiding.
For those times when one your raid healers
1. Goes too rehab
2. Gets evicted
3. Has their rent centre computer repoed
4. Domestic issues
5. Gets pregnant
6. electric shut off
7. Vanishes never to be seen again

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I don't think 40 man raiding is going to be as popular as they think. That's my biggest concern.
Since people here keep talking about flex raids and their hatred of 40 man raids I figured I'd drag out a quote from a Wildstar dev taken from:http://wildstar-central.com/index.ph...-3#post-152110

"I wasn't trolling. The joke is that you guys seem to think we don't know that 40-mans are inaccessible to most players, difficult to organize/run, only for the top raiders, etc.

We know. That's the point.

Exclusivity is not necessarily a bad thing."

Here's the thing -- that 40 man number? It's at the core of the game. Think about it for a second: Warplots are designed as 40 v 40 and give the best pvp gear. The 20 man raids are required to be completed to enter the 40 man raids, so it stands to reason that the 40 man will have better loot. Maybe at some point down the road they'll think to themselves, "shit, that 40 man raid decision was horrible." and everyone here will bring out the "we told you so" posts. Wildstar, in it's current implementation, is built with the idea that difficult 40 man raid content that only a select few people get to experience isn't a bad thing. If you don't want to be a part of that they'll still be 20 man raids, arenas, expert dungeons, and whatever else they come out to satisfy that crowd. You just won't get the top 1% of loot. Wildstar is gambling that creating a tier of content - the top tier - which is catered to the hardcore is viabledespitebeing exclusive. We'll see how this turns out post launch.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
If you think you can judge this game before leaving the second tutorial zone...

Well, you're a fucking wizard, man!
Second tutorial zone? I don't have a key and haven't played the game, but consider it judged, because I don't like games where you describe part of the world as a second tutorial zone. Is the world design really this shallow/blatant/thinly-veiled that there's what can so easily be described as a second tutorial zone?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well there is an introduction area that has about 15 minutes of gameplay, then there is a newbie zone that is the actual starter area. Saying a second tutorial zone is kind of a misnomer.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Well there is an introduction area that has about 15 minutes of gameplay, then there is a newbie zone that is the actual starter area. Saying a second tutorial zone is kind of a misnomer.
This. It would be akin to saying that Kaladim is the tutorial zone and butcherblock is the second tutorial zone for dwarfs in EQ. I.E. no one uses that kind of reference or thinks of it that way. Poster was just trying to highlight that Wildstar takes awhile to get into.

Edit: Reference is also based on the fact that the first tutorial zone wasn't in the old beta, it's a recent addition (and a poor one, imo). They used to just start you at level 4 and throw you into the game.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have played Esper! It's really really fun, the only hang up I have is the cast time spam spell. if it castable on the move I'd be downright in love with that class.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I have played Esper! It's really really fun, the only hang up I have is the cast time spam spell. if it castable on the move I'd be downright in love with that class.
I'm really curious to see who ends up being the best healing class in Wildstar. Espers are currently the top based on the fact that their heals are just more potent than the other two but I don't see that advantage lasting all the way at level 50. I mean, medics are the only healers capable of healing shields and that's going to be huge for raids. Spellsingers also have a lot more mobility, which in Wildstar will probably make them kings.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Right, it's not truly a tutorial, I was just thinking of it that way because it was the original tutorial zone in CBT1.