Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't see how this is surprising for people. The class system & customization, combat and game mechanics were atrocious.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, so many obvious problems overlooked by people desperately wanting something - anything - to play. I don't blame 'em, really, but you have to step back and look at the systems before you waste a bunch of hours.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Combat and game mechanics were fun for a lot of people who played. In fact the combat system has ruined tab target shit like Arche Age and I can't touch that shit now. Interrupts were an interesting idea, but once again...dum dums can't learn to do anything but stand there and dps.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I hate tab target myself, but tera was better. Outside that, not enough people liked the mechanics. Most people will stick out the bugs if the underlying game is fun to play.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Combat was a second-rate clone of GW2 and interrupt armour was the dumbest idea this side of 40-man raids with attunement trees.

Xevy

Log Wizard
GW2 was mostly tab targeting and invincible rolls. Pass.

Terra wasn't bad, and actually very close to Wildstar. But it was shiny Korean garbage so people like it more cuz armor shine!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Besides from some classes suffering from terrible animation lock Tera was probably one of the best combat systems ever. Wildstar was sub par to me in just about every way. Lots of hype, not much delivery.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The only difference Wildstar has between it and Tera is telegraphs. If WS telegraphs were invisible it'd be pretty close to the same thing. You aim your shot, you land your hit. GW2 combat was just rolling around at the right time. Certain weapons like bows and scepters were tab target auto-lock stuff.

Wildstar made it so you had to dodge the right move and dodge it completely. Because you weren't immune to damage and you don't get to dodge every 1 second like certain GW2 builds could.

GW2's combo system was pretty fucking lack luster. It's a neat idea but the implementation was shit. I mean certain things like water fields only existed in two classes and realistically only on one. Most of the effects were just bonus stuff that wasn't a major focus of the play.

Tera was Wildstar with no telegraphs and asian animations and weapons. Feel free to convince yourself otherwise.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Wildstar still had a fair number of tab target abilities. Far more than tera which if you couldn't aim with our mouse you were pretty fucked. One big difference you gloss over.

Putting down a retard cone of damage is in no way advancing the genre. If you paid attention in tera you could do amazing things. Many people couldn't fight BAMs because they couldn't read the sometimes subtle telegraphs. Same with the dungeons after a certain point stuff would simply gib you. Wildstar telegraphs were way over the top.

I felt the classes were much better designed and played better in Tera. Same with the abilities they had much for flavor. Wildstar combat felt a lot like garbage rogue builder, finisher with a little bit of fluff. Tera had tons of combos and variety. Classes played very differently.

I'm also not a fan of GW2 combat. Game did some really cool stuff their classes and combat wasn't something I really want to see again.

One thing they were dead similar on was leveling experience. They both sucked in that.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I want some one to make a WS video with all the telegraphs removed so people can really see how close it is. I don't remember having any tab target abilities as a warrior or engineer in WS. You also have to aim with your mouse with thin telegraphs that are EXACTLY THE SAME as say a Sorcerer's fireball if you played a Spellslinger or Esper or some Engineer abilities.

Tera's melee classes had AE cones. Just google Slayer or Berserker combat gameplay. It's just swinging in a big fucking area. The only 'aiming' things for those classes were the CC's, really. I honestly didn't play range much in Tera, but outside of healers I think it's very much the same as WS.

All WS classes had different mechanics. The Esper were the 'true rogue builder' class. Warriors were the warrior from every mmo ever, Engineers were 'sweet spot' degenerative management resource, Stalkers were spend and build, Spellslingers were their own fucking thing that is fairly original, and medics were close to spellslingers in terms of resource.

The telegraphs in Tera were definitely more subtle. I'll give you that. But a lot of classes in Tera could just kite the shit out of BAM's outside of dungeons.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I thought I would like the green/red shit on the ground in WS but honestly I didn't. I would have rather gleaned the information I needed from the enemy character models or the environment itself. The red/green shit just separated me further from the world. The UI was cluttered garbage and the sound effects were really really bad. The "tink" from my Esper abilities... ugh. Overall the effect was the opposite of immersion, and once the skinner box is revealed for what it is I'm fucking out.

I didn't last that long playing Tera either, but I found fighting BAMs and dungeon bosses much more satisfying than any engagement in WS.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The 'Buddy Code' system was a disgrace too. It really knocked a lot of the social connections out of your reach (no guild for you? Reaheally??), so no social pulls to draw you in at all.

I think I made it to the 2nd zone, a place that reminded me of the Barrens in WoW, only with like 50 similar quests all packed into each town =\ Sad to see a game like this fail, but I'm not surprised. I mean mostly because of what I've read while keeping up on this, not my having experienced 2% of the game via buddy code
wink.png

Defiance

<Bronze Donator>
Layoffs?! Don't talk about layoffs! Are you kidding me? Layoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!

On a serious note, I hear Brad is looking for fresh talent.

On a more serious note, the game lasted longer in testing then it will live.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Combat was a second-rate clone of GW2 and interrupt armour was the dumbest idea this side of 40-man raids with attunement trees.
GW2 is dogshit combat, wildstar was miles beyond that. and interrupt armor was a great idea, what are you smoking.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
For me the crap started with AMPs, some were stupidly rare and overpriced, yet so important for a specific class. Then came the armor customization, with runes and all that crap. I wish developers would stop shitting out that crap, it's not fun, even WoW learned it. It's good for a game like Diablo, maybe.

Then we get to the real meat: step 1 levelling, step 2 grouping in dungeons, step 3 raiding.

1) Atrocious: too many quests, boring ones were 90% of them, rangeds were so much stronger than melee when killing those 3+, advancement rate was a bit slow, but the major pain was all those quests without meaning. Some questlines were well done, I give them that.

2) Atrocious ^2: doing two dungeons was a chore, because they were tightly tuned for pugs and pugs, aside from rare cases, can't offer a smooth experience. Later on, once I filtered the goods and the bads, it was fun to run them, but their medal system for attunement/rewards was horrible.

3) Who cares? I think andhope that raids will disappear once and for all from the genre, because they tend to be the ONLY worthwhile activity and the only path of progression in PvE. This must stop, the sooner, the better. Imagine my tears of joy when this game was announced having 40 sized hardcore raiding (sec, looking for my sarcasm sign).

As I said aove, if this game becomes f2p, I may even dabble a bit in it, because I liked the graphics and the animations a lot, also the omnipresent humor was neat. I'll wait and see.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want some one to make a WS video with all the telegraphs removed so people can really see how close it is. I don't remember having any tab target abilities as a warrior or engineer in WS. You also have to aim with your mouse with thin telegraphs that are EXACTLY THE SAME as say a Sorcerer's fireball if you played a Spellslinger or Esper or some Engineer abilities.

Tera's melee classes had AE cones. Just google Slayer or Berserker combat gameplay. It's just swinging in a big fucking area. The only 'aiming' things for those classes were the CC's, really. I honestly didn't play range much in Tera, but outside of healers I think it's very much the same as WS.

All WS classes had different mechanics. The Esper were the 'true rogue builder' class. Warriors were the warrior from every mmo ever, Engineers were 'sweet spot' degenerative management resource, Stalkers were spend and build, Spellslingers were their own fucking thing that is fairly original, and medics were close to spellslingers in terms of resource.

The telegraphs in Tera were definitely more subtle. I'll give you that. But a lot of classes in Tera could just kite the shit out of BAM's outside of dungeons.
Tera would allow you to avoid a mobs normal attacks if you moved away, unlike WS where a mobs normal attack would auto-hit if you were anywhere in range of it. I still play Tera and will play through its upcoming expansion, but I never even got to max lvl in WS. =/

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Good point, you totally showed him how good GW2 combat is.
See, most of this 'good' argument is pure bullshit. Really, it is because it's all relative. You, Xevy and Yanger are funny.

So, the game's with the worst combat and biggest audiences not only doing well, but thrive (GW2 has laid off no one ever), and the games that were the most exciting, bestest of the best combat and stuff wither and die you love (CoH players? where ya at?) because millions, billions are too stupid to 'get it', but tens of thousands like you do even though they went busto?

Be honest I didn't care for GW2 much either and WildStar even less, but seriously... if millions of other people are completely happy with the shit gameplay boring mechanics, that's all they and their companies care about. FFXIV, TOR (now), GW2, WoW... all those games you guys laugh have plenty of subs (or payers). Meanwhile, all the players who know better are pining for SWG, Auto Assault, Shadowbane, CoH, on and on. Maybe companies realized "Shit, fuck trying to make good games, nobody subs to them... let's just make some fucking money for a change."

I'm pretty sure you guys don't understand the business end of all this. It's not about making games that are whathefuckisallthisstuff complex, or fucking incredible mechanics; it's about making games people obviously want to play and pay for. Which, WildStar doesn't appear to be on that list anymore.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm pretty sure you guys don't understand the business end of all this. It's not about making games that are whathefuckisallthisstuff complex, or fucking incredible mechanics; it's about making games people obviously want to play and pay for. Which, WildStar doesn't appear to be on that list anymore.
Oh I absolutely know this. This was going to be one of the first sub games in quite some time, but they didn't deliver a sub-worthy experience for most. GW2 made all their money cash shopping which WS didn't have and honestly wouldn't have been enough to prevent most of the people from playing.

WS was my favorite combat system and I've played them all. Doesn't mean it's everyone's system, but I'm going to trust my opinion of the game over the slew of people who played til "30ish" then quit. GW2 was the 2nd best combat I've played, but kind of the opposite of WS. It was more fun in the PVP that didn't exist outside of RvR than the PVE. WS was better in dungeons and raids and PVP was very plain and besides Daggerstone wholly uninspired. Even then Daggerstone was 'their' version of Huttball and quite a poor one.

Tera combat looked cool. It played very smoothly, but I didn't think it was as good to me as GW2 or WS. You could argue that it laid the foundation for that type of combat though, for sure. I mean no one is going to argue EQ combat was better than WoW combat for say, a melee. But thinking WoW didn't learn from EQ would be a major oversight and classic retard move.