Witcher 3

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So I've had this game for like... ever? And I'm still only level 10 and I can't imagine I'm more than 5% into the game.

Let's just say the first few hours were boring as dick and I repeatedly just stopped playing (hi Bloodborne, DS3, HZD, etc.).

Now the combat is at least engaging, but I keep getting sidetracked on contracts, secondary quests, all the god damn ? marks all over the map, etc.

Do I have ADD? Am I retarded? Is this the same experience everyone had?

Also, is alchemy the strongest tree? I was thinking of pumping points into it after I get uh... Whirl?

Try to rotate between story, side missions etc. It will keep it engaging. I had the same issue until I started balancing things and it became better. I didn't go for all the question marks on the map either, just the quests I found.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the question marks on the map are easily the weakest aspect of the game. You're better off ignoring them unless they're a very short way off your path.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah the question marks on the map are easily the weakest aspect of the game. You're better off ignoring them unless they're a very short way off your path.
Do those ? marks not provide some of the best gear & those stones of power or whatever they're called that provide an additional talent point?

I guess I could just google which ones to hit.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Really, the ?s aren't that bad... except the water ones in Skelige, those ones are 100% worth skipping. Going after those ones was easily the most mind-numbing experience in the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Getting the mod to teleport from anywhere to signposts at least made some ?'s less monotonous. That mod alone made the game 100% more enjoyable to me

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Do those ? marks not provide some of the best gear & those stones of power or whatever they're called that provide an additional talent point?

I guess I could just google which ones to hit.
Unless they changed how they work (they've patched a lot in the last two years), they were randomly generated, level appropriate rewards. They also have (had?) a level ceiling (maximum) but not a floor (minimum). So if you took on a level 25 monster guarding a treasure area and somehow managed to defeat them at level 10, your reward would be level 12 or 13 in power. If the monsters guarding the treasure were level 4, though, your reward would be level 4 vendor fodder regardless of what Geralt's level was when you opened it.

Again, I don't know if they've updated the system since I played through those areas. Hopefully someone else will know.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Getting the mod to teleport from anywhere to signposts at least made some ?'s less monotonous. That mod alone made the game 100% more enjoyable to me
Wish I had it on PC.

Dandai Dandai those may still work the same way, but I've come across others with just design patterns and such for armor and weapons. Are those randomly generated as well?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Wish I had it on PC.

Dandai Dandai those may still work the same way, but I've come across others with just design patterns and such for armor and weapons. Are those randomly generated as well?
Get the witcher sets and everything else is just vendor trash until you outlevel them ridiculously

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, once you've got the witcher sets there's really no incentive to use other swords and armor.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried this game and very early on (I was still in the first village) my weapon went red and i had like a fourth of the money needed to fix it... I shelved it as seriously I sold everything I had and it still wasn't nearly enough what the actual fuck? How can I grind for more money if I don't have a weapon to fight shit to make more money? I was on the normal difficulty as well.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I tried this game and very early on (I was still in the first village) my weapon went red and i had like a fourth of the money needed to fix it... I shelved it as seriously I sold everything I had and it still wasn't nearly enough what the actual fuck? How can I grind for more money if I don't have a weapon to fight shit to make more money? I was on the normal difficulty as well.
It's been a while since I've started fresh, but that sounds like an extreme case. If you're a fan of RPGs and good storytelling, I'd give the Witcher another shot.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I shelved it as seriously I sold everything I had and it still wasn't nearly enough what the actual fuck? How can I grind for more money if I don't have a weapon to fight shit to make more money?

Go to a few towns and steal/sell everything. I was never low on money and my bank/storage thing was full of hundreds of things I never even bothered selling.

Hated the combat but liked exploring, so I did all the question marks that weren't too high level when I was low level so I got XP and it was a challenge.

Worked that magic thing first that you can lay down and it attack enemies with lightning, it was like having an extra player with me that never misses. Then worked low level everything just to get the basic boosts, then dumped everything into strong swings just for the lulz to see how much damage I could do.

x.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That has to be most authentic pre-release trailer ever. They should show those at E3 to give people a real look at the state of the game in development.

spronk

FPS noob

i feel kinda retarded, i mean its better i guess but... not that much better?

i still gotta play blood and wine though

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That video gave me a boner, going to have to do another playthrough with the DLC this winter.