Witcher 3

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Witcher 2 is pretty linear, you have major zones that you go through in a set order, it's up to you in which order you do the quests in there. Witcher has no hard limit like that, but still, the main story line has the biggest production value, so following it makes the most sense.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Witcher 2 is pretty linear, you have major zones that you go through in a set order, it's up to you in which order you do the quests in there. Witcher has no hard limit like that, but still, the main story line has the biggest production value, so following it makes the most sense.
I wonder if linear is the wrong term.. what i was referring to was the early segment, where you have one path to go through, and its guided, avoiding archers on tower or something, jumping down to an area, kinda like Uncharted or something, vs like Assassins creed where u run all over the place... If its more like an Uncharted game, my interest is nil.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Deus Ex is probably the best game to give you an idea of the game flow, either the original or HR bunch of hubs in set order. The start you are talking about is either prologue or start of the first act which lasts like 10 minutes.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's pretty much exactly like AC. You have a main story you can do whenever you want and a bunch of side shit you can do throughout. After the first zone the only real limit to the side stuff you can do is your level

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
ohh so they are tapping this open world vs witcher 2 was not, would you guys agree ? I may have to give this a go.. i am open world type guy,

DMK_sl

shitlord
Witcher 3 is a HUGE open world and one of the best every created.

I just did the drunk quest in Kaeh morhen home castle. Easily the funniest quest I've ever done in a video game.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Someone negged me and said witcher 3 is linear. I don't give 2 shits about negs, but how is it linear? Is having a story at all considered linear now adays?

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I certainly wouldn't call it linear, but it's definitely not a Skyrim-style sandbox (and thank god for that). Its interest lies in the unfolding of a narrative at a pace determined by the player, whereas Skyrim is all about intercepting you with "GO HERE! DO THIS!!!" tasks that clog your questlog while you're trying to progress.

I have a lot less trouble pruning my quest list in the Witcher 3 than I did with Skyrim. That's why I am still playing this and why I gave up on Skyrim after 15 hours.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I certainly wouldn't call it linear, but it's definitely not a Skyrim-style sandbox (and thank god for that). Its interest lies in the unfolding of a narrative at a pace determined by the player, whereas Skyrim is all about intercepting you with "GO HERE! DO THIS!!!" tasks that clog your questlog while you're trying to progress.
This. The main quest isn't exactly one long hallway, either.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Someone negged me and said witcher 3 is linear. I don't give 2 shits about negs, but how is it linear? Is having a story at all considered linear now adays?
If anything it isn't linearenough, seeing as how the attempts at an illusion of choice only really serve to make the xp/level progression go completely out of whack no matter which "path" you choose. TW3's choices are nothing like TW2's, in which the entire game diverges, it's just a question of doing ABCD or ACBD (or ABCBDCBDCD :p ).

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I don't know, I found things pretty guided for an open world game. Linear might not be the best word for it but your options are fairly limited for much of the game. I also find the best world ever comments to be funny because I find the open world portions of the game to be pretty weak and mostly copy and paste.

Great story and game regardless.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The game revolves around its main quest, so I don't know how linear you could call it, I think better word might be serial ? Every playthrough will follow the same main quest, but what you do beyond that is up to you.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

I have a lot less trouble pruning my quest list in the Witcher 3 than I did with Skyrim. That's why I am still playing this and why I gave up on Skyrim after 15 hours.
You don't get skyrim if that is how you approached it... its about wondering in a real world as you want, how you want when you want. Without being driven or guided by a storyline quest. I put 400 hours into skyirm before i completed the main quest. If that is not your thing however, then you made the right move in dropping it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'm impressed as hell that this is an in-house engine - runs fucking terrific on pc, and I have a first gen i7-960 with a nvidia 770. I run basically on high with hair off, and grass density turned down (but distance high because fuck pop-in) and hardly dip below 50 fps. Performance is never an issue and it looks fucking terrific.

Game pretty much feels like Witcher 2 x100. Obscene amount of content.

The trick is to focus on one thing at a time - do a full main quest line to completion, do an entire side quest, etc. And maybe run over ? that you cross along the way. That way the number of quests doesn't seem so overwhelming and you don't forget what the hell you were working on. Plus, doing some main line quests first in Velen seems like a better idea just so you level up some and aren't constantly running into death traps.

That said, I did that entire underground lair where you first encounter the wild hunt with the conniving blonde witch lady BEFORE I had found the materials for cat potion. God. Dammit.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I fuckin love Witcher and cannot wait for more content. Batman will be a nice change of pace to fuck with until more DA and W3 content.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Baratheon Fetus monster, so fucked up lol. I wonder how much of this shit comes from the source material.

At least I didn't forget from the other games that everyone you encounter is pretty much full of shit.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Baratheon Fetus monster, so fucked up lol. I wonder how much of this shit comes from the source material.

At least I didn't forget from the other games that everyone you encounter is pretty much full of shit.
I looked him up on imdb to see if it was actually Mark Addy... was surprised to see that it wasn't.