Witcher 3

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Finally bought this. Anything not spoilerish that would be helpful going in to it? Especially shit that will prevent repetition/time wasting or bad build type stuff.
I just played this a few months ago for the first time, so here's my thoughts.

Helpful websites
Witcher 3 Interactive Maps really helpful interactive map. This does spoil the game somewhat in terms of where to go, so choose to use at your own leisure
https://guides.gamepressure.com/static/mapy/en/gfx/map_1246.jpg this is a map of Velen (the area outside of the tutorial area) that shows general level bands of various areas. I found it a little helpful to just make sure I completed things somewhat orderly
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt the wiki. I found this to be useful for some of the quests. I would save-scum to see the different options for some of the quest dialogues, and sometimes I would go to the wiki post quest completion to see if there were better/cooler outcomes that I missed. Frankly, I didn't want to play through the game multiple times, so this for me was a time saving justification to see most of the content of the game.
Sex and Romance - The Witcher 3 Wiki Guide - IGN This goes over the romance stuff in the game. Unlike some other games with romance like ME, here, hard choices can actually screw up the endings. You could just do this blind, but I felt a little sad with my ending because I made a mistake early on and didn't see this guide.
Witcher 3 Skill Calculator This is a build planner for Witcher3. I messed with it a ton throughout the game for various builds.

Mods
I'm a big fan of using mods for this game, especially for a lot of UI/UX stuff. I didn't use too many mods that modified gameplay, unless it was UX related or just convenience based.
The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community
The ones I have installed are:
  1. Auto-apply oils. This is a QOL thing where the mod detects what enemy type you are facing, and coats your blade with the appropriate oil (its a buff basically). Super useful, otherwise you'll likely never interact with oils at all.
    1. Though, some purists might argue that the idea behind a Witcher is that he spends time preparing for an encounter, so like, they encourage you to read about the creature in the bestiary, apply the right oil coat, potions, etc. Me I'd rather remove bad UX to make the gameplay feel more smooth. But to each their own
  2. Always full XP. I picked up the DLC version of this mod. Basically you can outlevel quests pretty easily in this game, and I wanted to be a completion-ist and play through it all. This lets you get some XP even for quests you've outleveled. The DLC version just modifies the formula - basically quests above your level give more XP and quests below your level give less, with a floor and ceiling on the amounts. That way a quest like 6 levels below you (a quest goes grey at 5+ iirc) still gives you something for completing it
  3. Better Icons - UI
  4. Better Torches - QOL
  5. Better Trophies - this one was a gameplay change. Basically in the game you get trophies that you can equip with stats for killing mini-bosses. The trophies were really crappy and you tended up using only 1 of the dozen or so you get throughout the game. This mod makes the stats varied on each one of them, so you can choose different ones to complement your build
  6. Colored Map Markers - UI
  7. Crossbow Damage Boost - another gameplay one. You basically will never use your crossbow in Vanilla. This one allows you to use it sometimes (still not often)
  8. Familiar Music
  9. Friendly Hud - this one is a pain in the butt to install, but is essential. It really fixes up the UI
  10. HD Reworked Project - texture mod. Really helps beautify the game more (its absolutely gorgeous imo)
  11. Jump In Shallow Water - QOL
  12. Leveling Witcher and Relic Gear - also gameplay and this one is a take it or leave it. On one hand, I think it makes you wear the best looking armor in the game. On the other hand, it removes gearing up in the late game, since you'll just wear Witcher gear.
  13. Map Quest Objectives - extremely good QOL
  14. No Fall Damage - self explanatory and optional
  15. Skip Movies - just skips intro for you
  16. Over 9000 weight limit. This one I didn't start the game with, but by the end of game, I had a lot of extra armor sets because they looked cool or worked well in a particular build, and I didn't want to have to go sell every few minutes when you get encumbered (your carry weight doesn't scale a lot throughout the game, which is bad). You'll likely get this one later, just because of the tedium
Couple Notes
I played with an Xbox controller and it was great. I just put the game up on a TV and played the game in 1080p on a big-screen and its such a gorgeous game imo.
Build advice - For beginners, I found the fast attack + battle trance skills in the battle branch work real well. In the General skills, get the Cat School skill to go with the fast attack stuff plus armor you pick up. I also found early game Gourmet (food last 20 mins) to be really useful. It doesn't scale well into late game, but early game food regens you out of combat nearly immediately.
Save often and have the autosaves happen often. You never know when you might want to go back and redo a dialogue.
Rotate every so often between side quests, going on treasure hunts, playing Gwent, and doing the main quests if you're finding what you're doing monotonous.

TLDR - have fun. This game was pretty awesome

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I just played this a few months ago for the first time, so here's my thoughts.

Helpful websites
Witcher 3 Interactive Maps really helpful interactive map. This does spoil the game somewhat in terms of where to go, so choose to use at your own leisure
https://guides.gamepressure.com/static/mapy/en/gfx/map_1246.jpg this is a map of Velen (the area outside of the tutorial area) that shows general level bands of various areas. I found it a little helpful to just make sure I completed things somewhat orderly
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt the wiki. I found this to be useful for some of the quests. I would save-scum to see the different options for some of the quest dialogues, and sometimes I would go to the wiki post quest completion to see if there were better/cooler outcomes that I missed. Frankly, I didn't want to play through the game multiple times, so this for me was a time saving justification to see most of the content of the game.
Sex and Romance - The Witcher 3 Wiki Guide - IGN This goes over the romance stuff in the game. Unlike some other games with romance like ME, here, hard choices can actually screw up the endings. You could just do this blind, but I felt a little sad with my ending because I made a mistake early on and didn't see this guide.
Witcher 3 Skill Calculator This is a build planner for Witcher3. I messed with it a ton throughout the game for various builds.

Mods
I'm a big fan of using mods for this game, especially for a lot of UI/UX stuff. I didn't use too many mods that modified gameplay, unless it was UX related or just convenience based.
The Witcher 3 Nexus - Mods and community
The ones I have installed are:
  1. Auto-apply oils. This is a QOL thing where the mod detects what enemy type you are facing, and coats your blade with the appropriate oil (its a buff basically). Super useful, otherwise you'll likely never interact with oils at all.
    1. Though, some purists might argue that the idea behind a Witcher is that he spends time preparing for an encounter, so like, they encourage you to read about the creature in the bestiary, apply the right oil coat, potions, etc. Me I'd rather remove bad UX to make the gameplay feel more smooth. But to each their own
  2. Always full XP. I picked up the DLC version of this mod. Basically you can outlevel quests pretty easily in this game, and I wanted to be a completion-ist and play through it all. This lets you get some XP even for quests you've outleveled. The DLC version just modifies the formula - basically quests above your level give more XP and quests below your level give less, with a floor and ceiling on the amounts. That way a quest like 6 levels below you (a quest goes grey at 5+ iirc) still gives you something for completing it
  3. Better Icons - UI
  4. Better Torches - QOL
  5. Better Trophies - this one was a gameplay change. Basically in the game you get trophies that you can equip with stats for killing mini-bosses. The trophies were really crappy and you tended up using only 1 of the dozen or so you get throughout the game. This mod makes the stats varied on each one of them, so you can choose different ones to complement your build
  6. Colored Map Markers - UI
  7. Crossbow Damage Boost - another gameplay one. You basically will never use your crossbow in Vanilla. This one allows you to use it sometimes (still not often)
  8. Familiar Music
  9. Friendly Hud - this one is a pain in the butt to install, but is essential. It really fixes up the UI
  10. HD Reworked Project - texture mod. Really helps beautify the game more (its absolutely gorgeous imo)
  11. Jump In Shallow Water - QOL
  12. Leveling Witcher and Relic Gear - also gameplay and this one is a take it or leave it. On one hand, I think it makes you wear the best looking armor in the game. On the other hand, it removes gearing up in the late game, since you'll just wear Witcher gear.
  13. Map Quest Objectives - extremely good QOL
  14. No Fall Damage - self explanatory and optional
  15. Skip Movies - just skips intro for you
  16. Over 9000 weight limit. This one I didn't start the game with, but by the end of game, I had a lot of extra armor sets because they looked cool or worked well in a particular build, and I didn't want to have to go sell every few minutes when you get encumbered (your carry weight doesn't scale a lot throughout the game, which is bad). You'll likely get this one later, just because of the tedium
Couple Notes
I played with an Xbox controller and it was great. I just put the game up on a TV and played the game in 1080p on a big-screen and its such a gorgeous game imo.
Build advice - For beginners, I found the fast attack + battle trance skills in the battle branch work real well. In the General skills, get the Cat School skill to go with the fast attack stuff plus armor you pick up. I also found early game Gourmet (food last 20 mins) to be really useful. It doesn't scale well into late game, but early game food regens you out of combat nearly immediately.
Save often and have the autosaves happen often. You never know when you might want to go back and redo a dialogue.
Rotate every so often between side quests, going on treasure hunts, playing Gwent, and doing the main quests if you're finding what you're doing monotonous.

TLDR - have fun. This game was pretty awesome
For the love of god, don't use guides for the first playthrough. It's like watching the last 15 minutes of a movie first. Even if you feel like you made the wrong choice, the game does a great job of surprising you with effects of your actions. Dissolving the story into a giant flowchart robs it of any impact and there are several moments where I was chopping onions, unheard of in RPGs.

The mods are optional and honestly unnecessary unless you find out something bugs you too much in the middle of a playthrough. The XP thing gets a lot of hate for some reason, but it keeps things playable for both completionists and those who want to blast only through the main story.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea I was gonna say why not just use a trainer if you used all that shit on your first playthrough?

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Yea I was gonna say why not just use a trainer if you used all that shit on your first playthrough?
I personally used that stuff post-quest to just see the other branches. Otherwise, you kinda have to play this game a few times just to see the different endings to the main quest, and a lot of the bigger major quests.

You're right though - heavy usage of that stuff degrades the experience. So definitely use that stuff at your own comfort level.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Second concoctions and not leveling signs. Bombs are also excellent. I haven't leveled any up - they're just really effective. I'm all melee with extra points in potions.

• 1Like

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
For the love of god, don't use guides for the first playthrough. /QUOTE]

I second this! The feeling of wow and wonderment you get when first discovering areas and seeing the story unfold is unparalleled. I wish I could get witcher 3 amnesia so I can play it again and make it feel like a new experience. There is only one part that I looked up info on during my first walk through and reloaded my save 'cause I just couldn't live with my choice. You'll know it when you get to it depending on your choice. I think that was the part where everyone realized they were playing something special.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
You haven't lived until you fucked a sorceress on a stuffed unicorn.

• 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Geralt probably nails Ciri after the battle of Kaer Morhen. It's subtle and you'd have to be familiar with the whole series + the books to pick up on it.
Having read all the books, I'm not quite sure at what point what is revealed that would make that obvious...

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Having read all the books, I'm not quite sure at what point what is revealed that would make that obvious...

It's just a funny tinfoil hat theory I found online once.

Romance with Ciri, hidden behind the scenes :: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt General Discussions

The theory revolves around Ermion claiming that the reason that Pavetta (Ciri's mother) can't control the power at her fifteenth birthday feast is because she's a virgin, except Geralt reveals she's already pregnant with Ciri when he invokes the law of surprise. So unless she immaculately conceived or Emhyr can teleport his sperm around, she isn't a virgin. IIRC at some point Yen flat out says the virginity thing is a myth and has nothing to do with a source being able to control the power. The blind woman when you go to kill Imlerith sorta confirms her virginity, but she also might just be crazy and since there's no question that Ciri had sex with Mistle it would be pretty weird if the restriction on a source being able to control the power was specifically "gotta get that cherry popped, scissoring doesn't count".