Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I am going to be a contrarian and say I don't get it. It's not like Wonder Woman needs to come out or the plotlines to The Batman a d The Suicide Squad won't make sense, and with production as shuttered as it has been this year, it's not like WB will have a huge roster to put out next year either.

WB can throw away $200 Mil as advertising for HBO Max, but with it only on the service for one month, that only buys one month of subscription fees from everyone. Just not seeing the math.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I am going to be a contrarian and say I don't get it. It's not like Wonder Woman needs to come out or the plotlines to The Batman a d The Suicide Squad won't make sense, and with production as shuttered as it has been this year, it's not like WB will have a huge roster to put out next year either.

WB can throw away $200 Mil as advertising for HBO Max, but with it only on the service for one month, that only buys one month of subscription fees from everyone. Just not seeing the math.
They are probably at least just trying to get new subscribers to sub for a month just even if its to watch WW to recoup some of the costs for making it.

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
HBO Max not having 4k Dolby Vision / Atmos at this point when every other major streamer does is such a joke.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

the tinfoil hats are saying it is because maxwell is trump-like and WB doesn't think orangemanbad will be in favor come summer+

• 1Seriously?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the tinfoil hats are saying it is because maxwell is trump-like and WB doesn't think orangemanbad will be in favor come summer+
thats going to be fucking stupid anyway. there are so many more ruthless tycoons who did real damage to small businesses around the world to the point you could call them supervillains. Trump is small potatoes compared to somebody truly evil like Bezos.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

business is business and movies are stacking up, its simply not worth holding one up indefinitely and getting zero revenue for it. Most people when they sub to a service like D+ or Netflix or HBO Max stay subbed, few people sub for a few weeks and then cancel even though that seems the "right" choice for many of us. So just getting 1m extra people to sub to HBO max is "worth" around $180m/year if 100% stay subbed or $125m/yr if 70% stay subbed, and clearly Warner has decided thats a better financial play.

Its still a race to get subs, Netflix has 195m subs ($30 BILLION a year in revenue), D+ has around 74m, while HBO Max is only around 9m.

Fucker

Log Wizard

The math is there is no money in first run streaming rentals otherwise we'd see all these movies popping up for rent instead of being left on the shelves. At some point these people are going to have to figure out how to monetize their movies without theaters because theaters aren't going to open any time soon.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
The math is there is no money in first run streaming rentals otherwise we'd see all these movies popping up for rent instead of being left on the shelves. At some point these people are going to have to figure out how to monetize their movies without theaters because theaters aren't going to open any time soon.

They also have to lower their cost of production.

Downey Jr. made an upfront salary of $20 million for reprising his role of Tony Stark/Iron Man in the Marvel blockbuster. The salary makes him the highest-paid actor in “Endgame,” ahead of the $15 million earned by co-stars Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, and Chris Evans. But Downey’s huge riches come more from his 8% back-end deal than it does from his starting salary. Forbes reports “Endgame” has made $700 million in profit from its box office run so far, which means Downey’s back-end deal gets him an additional $55 million payday for a grand total of $75 million.

(Not to be political but these are the assholes telling us we need to vote democrat and pay more taxes, lol.)

At some point, these celebs need a reality check and they can make $1,000,000 for a movie instead of $75,000,000. I

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This dude is usually right but hope he is wrong about this.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
pirate bucs GIF by Blinn College

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I really wonder how these big established franchises would do without the massive marketing pushes and resulting budgets. Do people really need to be blasted with star wars 24/7 for them to go see a star wars movie or marvel movie? Are the audiences for these movies that damn fickle that if they arent reminded every few minutes they forget it exists?

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gotta love the tinfoil hat idiots who think movie theaters and bowling alleys are to blame for covid but malls and grocery stores arent.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users