Woodworking

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Which model? That seems cheap. If youre going consumer grade, I'd stick with the 12.5" dewalt. Its by far the most popular /best reviews and has easy to get parts and upgrades.

Edit: check the specs to make sure it will plane down to 1/4". I don't have one of those. If not you can make a jig {probably should anyway)
Don't know, I've only looked in passing. That and a router are the only things I need right now, and I thought I saw a tabletop Dewalt for $350 at multiple stores

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't know, I've only looked in passing. That and a router are the only things I need right now, and I thought I saw a tabletop Dewalt for $350 at multiple stores
I see the 12.5 inch dewalt for 350 pretty often, the 13inch 4 post rarely goes below 499

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Everyone needs to sack up and buy one of these for your ten minute projects:

I'm convinced. My drill press sanding attachment just came in yesterday though!

Don't think I posted this update. Taking a day off and won't get it finished by Christmas but oh well. It is 28 degrees and I'm not going to go stain, paint, seal in that crap. There are a couple of pieces I could cut for the drawers and the bottom molding to screw in. But hey it is Christmas Eve.

Still tinkering with the final stain. I do like the look and am a little nervous that any kind of Poly is going to give it too much sheen, even a flat or a matte. But it is going to be used as an entertainment center / storage for kids toys and what not so need some protection. Also debating what color to make the drawer fronts and the top. I want a contrasting color of stain, or, and hear me out on this, maybe I bring out more of the teal and do the top in almost a reverse look from the body. Where the majority color is teal with the Kona / Jacobean underneath. I did paint the inside of the body a chalk paint Chiffon Cream, so sort of an off white. Needed to test it somewhere since that was the color choice for my entertainment center build.

Anyways, open to suggestion on the top and drawer front colors.

IMG-2756.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I'm convinced. My drill press sanding attachment just came in yesterday though!

Don't think I posted this update. Taking a day off and won't get it finished by Christmas but oh well. It is 28 degrees and I'm not going to go stain, paint, seal in that crap. There are a couple of pieces I could cut for the drawers and the bottom molding to screw in. But hey it is Christmas Eve.

Still tinkering with the final stain. I do like the look and am a little nervous that any kind of Poly is going to give it too much sheen, even a flat or a matte. But it is going to be used as an entertainment center / storage for kids toys and what not so need some protection. Also debating what color to make the drawer fronts and the top. I want a contrasting color of stain, or, and hear me out on this, maybe I bring out more of the teal and do the top in almost a reverse look from the body. Where the majority color is teal with the Kona / Jacobean underneath. I did paint the inside of the body a chalk paint Chiffon Cream, so sort of an off white. Needed to test it somewhere since that was the color choice for my entertainment center build.

Anyways, open to suggestion on the top and drawer front colors.

View attachment 325080
Lightly distressed knotty pine with a black or grey glaze on the top and finish the doors same as the carcase? That would be rustic. I guess it would depend on the other pieces in the room and whether you wanted wood grain showing on the top. You could even go industrial and put a stainless or zinc top on it. Its looking good. Nice finish work

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Doors are done and same as carcass, pretty much exactly the same as that end panel, to be mounted with barn door hardware I made from 1/8” x 1” aluminum sprayed charcoal gray. So there’ll be two of those to slide around.

Hickory I purchased for the top a week or so ago and it is ready to be worked. They grey may not be a bad idea. The other stuff in the room isn’t really that important as it is an apartment with nothing really consistent heh.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback! Going to give something a shot here after holiday!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Took right up to the last day but I got it done... and then I snapped a string tuning it and don't have any extra, oh well I'm sure my son will love his 3 string ukulele
20201224_210553.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Took right up to the last day but I got it done... and then I snapped a string tuning it and don't have any extra, oh well I'm sure my son will love his 3 string ukuleleView attachment 325289.
It's wonderful! What is the top made from? It doesn't look like spruce, but that might just be the way it's finished, which looks great. Maybe ukuleles are made from different wood normally? Would you post a side/ back picture too?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's wonderful! What is the top made from? It doesn't look like spruce, but that might just be the way it's finished, which looks great. Maybe ukuleles are made from different wood normally? Would you post a side/ back picture too?
Thabks, Its mahogany, I just did a protective finish no stain, it is a stewmac kit he saw when i took him to rockler one day. Not perfect but decent for a first time and he loves it.

20201225_112706.jpg
20201225_112658.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This weather sucks. I can’t get shit done when it is 30 degrees and raining. This is why my next house will be on a few acres with stand-alone workshops for hobbies.

• 2Solidarity

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I finally picked up a drill press. I had to get something to fit on the work bench so I went smaller. Got a old craftsman 5 speed 10" 2/3hp. And oh man its so quiet

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I finally picked up a drill press. I had to get something to fit on the work bench so I went smaller. Got a old craftsman 5 speed 10" 2/3hp. And oh man its so quiet

Yeah, you always expect big tools like that to be noisy, but drill presses are quiet. Congrats on the acquisition. You might not use it a huge amount, but now that you have it you will find you use it every now and then, and you're really glad you have it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Screenshot_20210106-133820.png

So my girlfriend asked if I could build something like this for her Berkey water filter. Of course I can, but I am thinking about complicating it for myself. I have always wanted to do a wedged through tenon, kind of like this...

wedgedmortise%26tenon_lead.jpg

I would probably make it out of a hardwood 2x4 to give myself a little more material to work with and maybe skip the little circle which seems unnecessary and also a pain in the ass to get just right. Hopefully it could be done with no glue or fasteners. Any thoughts? I have a table saw with a dado set and a plunge router and other basic woodworking tools.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Circles are pretty easy with a router. You'll need some reasonably careful work with a chisel to get the mortise for the wedge to fit correctly.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I have wood chisels but I don't know how well i can cut an angle inside there. Maybe it would make sense to do something like this to avoid that.

Screenshot_20210106-140333.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's not hard, you just have to be careful. Do the geometry on paper and sketch the outline accurately on the workpiece. Work in from both openings and then connect the dots. What you posted would probably work fine as well. It's mostly an aesthetic choice.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Currently building the library at Alexandria for one of my kid's projects. Has similar things. BrutulTM BrutulTM take your time and plan well, table saw and drill are enough to do what you're looking for. Take the time to plan well.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Picked up some more white oak, and a few sheets of 3/4 baltic birch, along with some poplar for drawer fronts, and fuck wood prices, the ply was so expensive and even poplar is up to like 2.50 a board ft.