Woodworking

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wonder how much these cost

ya'll will be freaked out at the end where they burn all the whisks, but japs view every tool has a purpose/soul and once it's done they bless it and send it on it's way

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
wonder how much these cost

$47. That's way less than I expected.

The Japanese are weird, but as a rule they make great fucking tools and appreciate quality for its own sake.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i know you guys like jap woodworking, this jap museam in kobe (like the beef)

is translating their library once a week
the channel will give you eng and jap version, heres one on saws

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So, small shop update since nothing is finished yet and I keep finding stuff to distract me. Plus working 60 - 70 hours a week and doing hurricane Ida stuff now... but anyways.

Never set up my DeWalt DW735 so decided to order a helical head for fun, because why not if I'm just being ridiculous at this point. Had no idea it came shipped like a bar of plutonium. Really interesting packaging especially when you're so used to Amazon shipping.

Installing this thing was a piece of work. No pictures of that process b/c I was in and out over two days. Other than apparently not having a 15/16 socket (maybe b/c I don't do any mechanic work?) and not having a pair of snap ring pliers (tried using long needle nose but just couldn't get it), everything was straightforward. Just taking a lot of pieces apart and then struggling to get it all back together. This head was OEM size so I also had to take off all 40 blades in order to feed it in to the planar housing and then put them all back in and torque to 45 in-lb.

Hey, it turns on. Just need to find a minute to feed a board through it and recalibrate the gauges. Didn't have any dust collection hooked up at the moment and didn't want to spooge all over the new shop just yet. Will give it a shot tomorrow or this weekend. Still, was an interesting project. We'll see how it pans out.

A976E084-05EE-4BD5-A841-B3E2B9997C01.jpeg
1BD84BFA-EE51-420D-945B-BAE5B89FB1BB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Snap rings are the worst, even if you have the pliers.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I did get a chance yesterday to test and make sure the planar worked without exploding and sending small blades everywhere. Turns out that having a window unit AC and the planar on the same breaker doesn't work out well. Blew the breaker about 50% of the time, was pretty funny. First test run was right as I finished up and the girlfriend walked in to the shop. Oh well, the final position will be on another breaker on the other side of the shop and not shared with the AC.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The DW735 draws 15 amps on spec, so if you overload it at all it's trivial to trip 15/20A residential breakers. It's notorious for doing so.

Oh for sure, it isn't surprising and makes perfect sense. It was just in all the commotion and excitement about putting it all together, didn't take that extra half a second to think about the power. Was all pretty funny.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
didn't take that extra half a second to think about the power

At least you have a choice! I'm renting my current place, and the only circuit that goes to the garage also supports the dryer, dishwasher, AND microwave. What genius electrician did that, I will never know... I pretty much can't mill anything unless I know the house is empty.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I have no idea where to ask this but I figured this was the best place.

I have 9x can lights in my garage. When I'm clear coating something, I'm always trying to reposition so that I can guide my application by the reflection of whichever light I'm under. It's a pain in the ass. Anyone aware of some life hacks to help with this? I'm mainly doing this on white ceramic, fyi.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I have no idea where to ask this but I figured this was the best place.

I have 9x can lights in my garage. When I'm clear coating something, I'm always trying to reposition so that I can guide my application by the reflection of whichever light I'm under. It's a pain in the ass. Anyone aware of some life hacks to help with this? I'm mainly doing this on white ceramic, fyi.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but would an additional light on a tripod (or flexible goose neck) do what you want?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but would an additional light on a tripod (or flexible goose neck) do what you want?
I've tried that, and also a hat mounted light. Angle is never quite right.
I wonder if an LED bar light about an inch off the surface of what I'm spraying, sideways, would do it.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've tried that, and also a hat mounted light. Angle is never quite right.
I wonder if an LED bar light about an inch off the surface of what I'm spraying, sideways, would do it.

A lot of spray shops have lights all along the ceiling, and then another a couple feet off the floor, or in your case, just above the height of your work table. I've done this in my woodworking shop and I have to say that it has helped when I'm doing things like polyurethane on a piece of wood. No more drips that I can't see!

Something like this:
spray-booth-lighting-spray-booth-london.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
A lot of spray shops have lights all along the ceiling, and then another a couple feet off the floor, or in your case, just above the height of your work table. I've done this in my woodworking shop and I have to say that it has helped when I'm doing things like polyurethane on a piece of wood. No more drips that I can't see!

Something like this:
spray-booth-lighting-spray-booth-london.jpg
Thanks, that confirms the idea at least

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Thanks, that confirms the idea at least
There are a few solutions for this. You can DIY a LED or flourescent ceiling type fixture onto a stand thats adjustable or fixed around 36-40" tall (depending on the height of the work table), you can get a painters tripod light - they are super bright and adjustable from usualky 2-5' tall. Also photography or video fill light panels are great as they are full spectrum.

Whatever you get, make sure its "sunlight" or full spectrum if you're going to judge color tone. If you just want to see what's wet, or compare sheen, then any bright light at a raking angle will do.

Beware: this can highlight tiny surface imperfections enough that you can end up chasing nibs, sanding scratches and other things beyond "good enough" if you're the type A or OCD personality. I may know a guy this happens to.

Good luck!

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That made me lol.

Well it's been under 90degrees in the shop and I'm starting to get close to finishing these bastards up....finally. Tons of mistakes and criticisms, starting with "When you're trying a bunch of new shit, Don't do 3x at once". Too many to list off though.

Screenshot_20210907-195440_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210907-195419_Gallery.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That made me lol.

Well it's been under 90degrees in the shop and I'm starting to get close to finishing these bastards up....finally. Tons of mistakes and criticisms, starting with "When you're trying a bunch of new shit, Don't do 3x at once". Too many to list off though.

View attachment 371604View attachment 371605

Those are wicked cool! Did you make the legs, too? And are they maps you found?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Those are wicked cool! Did you make the legs, too? And are they maps you found?
I got the hairpin legs off Amazon. I have no aspirations of being a metal worker.

I got these maps off of the David Rumsey collection. They're a 3 map series from the late 1700s.

That's what crushes me with all my blunders on these things. Someone else already did the hard work 200 years ago and here I am fucking up the delivery, lol. They'll turn out decent, just not as pristine as I was hoping.

Screenshot_20210907-200514_Gallery.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users