Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

Imagine the labor cost trying to build a house this way now, never mind the concept of disassembling and moving one.

Pfft, the guy who did it probably did all 4 corners of that house, free hand, by lunch, and then had to hurry across town to do another house.

We just think it's amazing because we're fucking retards compared to men 100 years ago.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Pfft, the guy who did it probably did all 4 corners of that house, free hand, by lunch, and then had to hurry across town to do another house.

We just think it's amazing because we're fucking retards compared to men 100 years ago.

To men 100 years ago we would look like wizards with all our modern things, modern knowledge, height, and such. They seem like wizards to us because all our "advances" have made the absolute necessity of their craft somewhat obsolete.

I make joints similar to this. I allow it to take time because I love the process of watching this beautiful thing come out of the wood. The guy in that video is exceptional at this. It's a joy to watch anyone who is so good at his/her job. Have you ever watched a sheet metal worker free-hand create a new mounting head for a furnace? It's like art. Or a plumber solve a complex problem and leave a beautifully organized series of pipes that is 100% functional?

Contemporary folks don't value the trades enough.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

He'd probably kill you in your sleep for a cordless nailgun.

• 2Worf

Captain Suave

The application of solid lacquer with the lathe is interesting. Also, apparently PPE and workplace safety are for pussies. "No toolrest? Watch me use my foot."

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Captain Suave

Pretty awesome doors. Check 6:20 for some other fun ones he did previously.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone here have a CNC router or access to one? Have I asked that already? I found a 4ft x 4ft router that I can actually afford, but I just wanted to see if I'm able to set up files for it without much difficulty. Just wanted to try this file out.

1641945154022.png

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Needed coasters to protect the furniture I have been making so I found a use for some scraps.

20220112_145103.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Polyurethane & catalyzed varnish are the most protective, but looks plastic. You can cut the sheen some with steel wool or use flat or satin. Shellac works if the moisture does not contain alcohol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nice. What's a good finish for them, assuming moisture will be present kind of often?
Like whoo whoo said, I used shellac to pop the colors as water based poly can leave it a little flat and then sprayed some water based poly satin on them.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Picture diary of the assembly of a CNC kit from China, kinda neat:

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Went to home depot today to replace my orbital sander that broke. They had a special going on where if you buy an orbital sander, you get a planer for full price. Pretty stoked.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I had a few things laying around from when I was trying to test different resin inlay ideas, but got discouraged trying to sand the shit down afterwards. Ran 2 of them through the planer yesterday and now I'm fuckin pumped again to try out a bunch of ideas.
I ran 2x old map files and 1x new, quick & dirty contour map through the laser yesterday on 0.5" knotty pine. I only poured resin on the quick and dirty contour map of crater lake so far. I might run that through on Wednesday or maybe just wait till the weekend.

Anything I should know before I try to stain wood that has a bunch of resin inlay in it? I coated the wood with clear coat before the inlay to keep the resin from bleeding into the grain...do I need to worry about the stain bleeding into the epoxy though? I was planning on working up to 600grit before I stain them, thinking it would result in much less scratches in the resin to absorb the wood stain.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I don’t have experience with stain and resin but my kids have dripped and spilled oil paints my resin clear coated dining room table and it’s never stained.

Edit: I’m out of town but when I get back, if you haven’t had a chance to test it yet, I’ll try staining some scrap pieces (cut offs from the table top) and see what happens.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don’t have experience with stain and resin but my kids have dripped and spilled oil paints my resin clear coated dining room table and it’s never stained.

Edit: I’m out of town but when I get back, if you haven’t had a chance to test it yet, I’ll try staining some scrap pieces (cut offs from the table top) and see what happens.
I've done the same with pieces of resin that I've already put a final coat on and sealed....but this stuff would be pre-finish/pre-polish. I'm assuming the scratches from the sandpaper are what would be creating an opening for the stain, if any.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I've done the same with pieces of resin that I've already put a final coat on and sealed....but this stuff would be pre-finish/pre-polish. I'm assuming the scratches from the sandpaper are what would be creating an opening for the stain, if any.
I coated my table top with a prestain seal coat (I forget the name; it made the stain apply evenly on pine), then stained (worked great, applied consistently, no splotches), then touched up knot holes with resin to seal them before putting on flood coat.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I haven't stained before the resin because I always assumed it would cause issues with the resin binding to the wood.....but I guess I never really looked it up.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Theres no issue with staining before resin. I'd use a water based or alcohol/acetone based stain and make sure it dries overnight before the resin. Technically even oil based stain will work, but I've not done that personally, so I can't guarantee success.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
First attempt, mostly half assed. All sorts of whoopsies, but I like it enough to try 10 or 50 more. (I'm really embarrassed I picked the ugliest fucking contours for my first try)
Screenshot_20220124-202741_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-202707_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-202754_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-202726_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-202651_Gallery.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users