Woodworking

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My shitty little 9" ryobi bandsaw will NOT, as it turns out, serve me well for resawing. I am sad.

• 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My shitty little 9" ryobi bandsaw will NOT, as it turns out, serve me well for resawing. I am sad.

What's the max height of your table saw blade and how wide (thick?) are you resawing? I broke down some 2x8s b/c I didn't want to plane them all the way down to 3/4".

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What's the max height of your table saw blade and how wide (thick?) are you resawing? I broke down some 2x8s b/c I didn't want to plane them all the way down to 3/4".
This is what I got.

I put a 3/8in blade on it last night and it was really struggling on a pine 2x3 I grabbed out of my neighbor's scrap pile.

It's possible I just haven't set it up correctly, but I triple checked everything in the manual and watched 2x youtube videos on it. I might ask the retired carpenter down the street to come hang out next weekend and give me some tips.

I should probably just stop buying shitty low end equipment and get back to saving up for the Xcarve I want;)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Table saw :)

1654623840457.png

*edit: not my picture and maybe not exactly how I'd do it lol. Probably want a higher fence to support the height of the piece unless you think your featherboard is sturdy enough and you can push from the top with no wobble.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This is what I got.

I put a 3/8in blade on it last night and it was really struggling on a pine 2x3 I grabbed out of my neighbor's scrap pile.

It's possible I just haven't set it up correctly, but I triple checked everything in the manual and watched 2x youtube videos on it. I might ask the retired carpenter down the street to come hang out next weekend and give me some tips.

I should probably just stop buying shitty low end equipment and get back to saving up for the Xcarve I want;)
That probably just doesn't have enough power. The low end band saws are mostly for cutting curves in 3/4 stock or smaller. Need more beef for resawing. I bought an early 70's Delta 14 recently and it struggles with anything more than about 6 inches. High end models will do 18 inches+.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Table saw :)

View attachment 415950

*edit: not my picture and maybe not exactly how I'd do it lol. Probably want a higher fence to support the height of the piece unless you think your featherboard is sturdy enough and you can push from the top with no wobble.
Yea, I spent about 30 minutes last night calling myself a little bitch for being afraid of the (~40 year old) table saw and getting a shitty 9" bandsaw that can't do the job instead. I think I talked myself into bringing that thing down from the shelf I tossed it on and giving it another go.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
IMG_20220607_180947734.jpg

It's a good thing I've got a whole tree to work out the kinks!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Milling shit is harder than you'd expect. It turns out chainsaws have a lot of springs in the handle. Makes sense, as those would absorb the vibrations of using the thing for it's intended purpose. Unfortunately, this makes it really fucking hard to perfectly position one. More tinkering required, was unable to obtain what I'd consider to be a satisfactory slab - well, at least one that doesn't require getting planed down 3/8 of an inch on one side.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That probably just doesn't have enough power. The low end band saws are mostly for cutting curves in 3/4 stock or smaller. Need more beef for resawing. I bought an early 70's Delta 14 recently and it struggles with anything more than about 6 inches. High end models will do 18 inches+.

In general I agree with your post, but I have a 14" bandsaw from Harbor Freight that I've cut beautiful curves in 4 inch cherry. Made runners for a rocking cradle that were 36" long, and got a perfect curve from this low end bandsaw. Good, sharp blades make so much of a difference.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Milling shit is harder than you'd expect. It turns out chainsaws have a lot of springs in the handle. Makes sense, as those would absorb the vibrations of using the thing for it's intended purpose. Unfortunately, this makes it really fucking hard to perfectly position one. More tinkering required, was unable to obtain what I'd consider to be a satisfactory slab - well, at least one that doesn't require getting planed down 3/8 of an inch on one side.
Did you get a video of you sawing that thing down?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Did you get a video of you sawing that thing down?

Yeah. Phone compresses quite a bit, maybe I'll throw it up on YouTube.

I'm thinking the problem is the size of the piece. That birch is only about a foot long and 14 inches wide, the saw moves it quite a bit. I have some 2-3 foot bigger logs of walnut in the backyard I'm gonna throw on there next and see if I can diagnose the problem.

I know I can just use a thickness planer to get them to whatever size I need, I'd just rather not need 3 inches to take it down to 3/4!

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
First cut on the walnut.
IMG_20220608_165455374.jpg
IMG_20220608_171913569.jpg

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I take no credit for the design, Izzy Swan sells the plans at his site, stumbled upon his channel while I was looking for a solution to my problem.

The logs I have are EASILY 500lbs. They're fucking huge. I have no way to lift those fuckers up to a comfortable working height with a normal chainsaw mill. I bought one of those portable mills (which is really just a piece of plexiglass and bolts to your bar) to use, but I'd be milling that shit on my knees and there's no way I can do that, too many knee problems, too old for that shit. When I saw his $50 chainsaw mill video (well, $120 in today's lumber prices) I knew that was the way to go. It's so insanely simple, there's no reason not to do it this way.

I don't have acres of timber, but considering how well this works, I might mill everything bigger than firewood size now, and I've got a couple more trees that need to come down.

• 1Like