Woodworking

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The terrarium is pretty much complete and finally has an occupant.

1654378245164.png

1654378211192.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
So next project is a liquor bar/cabinet that will mount on the wall. Something similar to this thing in the picture, except my wife wants it to be dark blue. I'm thinking either poplar or plywood, but I'm dreading painting. No matter how well I can put it together, if the paint job ain't good, it will look like a piece of shit. I want to buy one of those nice sprayers at some point, but I've put myself on a 'no more money on tools' after buying that band saw.

1654378705008.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So next project is a liquor bar/cabinet that will mount on the wall. Something similar to this thing in the picture, except my wife wants it to be dark blue. I'm thinking either poplar or plywood, but I'm dreading painting. No matter how well I can put it together, if the paint job ain't good, it will look like a piece of shit. I want to buy one of those nice sprayers at some point, but I've put myself on a 'no more money on tools' after buying that band saw.

View attachment 415575
It's hard to go wrong with stained wood.

I did a small "quick and cheap" computer desk project, years ago, where I painted plywood (black w/red decal) and finished it with oil poly. I liked it alright at the time, but I'm not a fan of it now days. Painted just looks cheaper than stained.

Also, if you need a spray gun, couldn't hurt to spend some months looking for used ones on Facebook marketplace or whatever the people have substituted for craigslist now days. It should be pretty hard to fuck up a gun to where you can't fix it. I have also read that professional painters have a much higher rate of drug use over other trades and pawn their shit a lot...

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 415575

You can pick this up for $19 and test quite a bit. There’s some really nice examples of blue that people have achieved.

Wood Dye - Aniline Dye 5 Color Kit - Wood Stain Kit
I also have this which I’ve never used that was on sale for like $119. Need to try it out one day.

TCP Global Complete Professional 9 Piece HVLP Spray Gun Set with 2 Full Size Spray Guns, 1 Detail Spray Gun, Inline Filter & Air Regulator

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
You can pick this up for $19 and test quite a bit. There’s some really nice examples of blue that people have achieved.

Wood Dye - Aniline Dye 5 Color Kit - Wood Stain Kit
I also have this which I’ve never used that was on sale for like $119. Need to try it out one day.

TCP Global Complete Professional 9 Piece HVLP Spray Gun Set with 2 Full Size Spray Guns, 1 Detail Spray Gun, Inline Filter & Air Regulator
I just watched a few videos on that Keda dye and some of that stuff looks unbelievably cool. Regardless of this current project, I'm definitely going to check that stuff out.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Recommendations? I don't have any plans for this thing, just fucking around.
View attachment 415446

View attachment 415448
A friend likes this thing and asked if she could buy it. I said no because I fucked up the top in a few areas and I don't like the base/legs at all. So I'm working on doing a mockup in sketchup for version 2. Switching to 3in for the base instead of 4, and planning on doing 2in x 2in for the legs. Any input/opinions?

And does anyone here use Sketchup + OpenCutList for mockups? I'm trying to figure out how to set my available stock materials (like 8in common board, 3in common board, etc) and then just design all my stuff from the stock materials and export a cut list for each material. Can't figure out how to do that, or even the right term to google. Component?
Not that I really need it for this one, but trying to learn as I go.
1654446770753.png

1654446789115.png

1654446813216.png

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
A friend likes this thing and asked if she could buy it. I said no because I fucked up the top in a few areas and I don't like the base/legs at all. So I'm working on doing a mockup in sketchup for version 2. Switching to 3in for the base instead of 4, and planning on doing 2in x 2in for the legs. Any input/opinions?

And does anyone here use Sketchup + OpenCutList for mockups? I'm trying to figure out how to set my available stock materials (like 8in common board, 3in common board, etc) and then just design all my stuff from the stock materials and export a cut list for each material. Can't figure out how to do that, or even the right term to google. Component?
Not that I really need it for this one, but trying to learn as I go.
View attachment 415642

View attachment 415643

View attachment 415644
Any suggestions for learning Sketchup? I did a few video tutorials, but I still have a very rudimentary understanding of all it can do.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Any suggestions for learning Sketchup? I did a few video tutorials, but I still have a very rudimentary understanding of all it can do.
Nope, I'm still learning too. Rectangle tool + typing in dimensions is easy, then use "push/pull" + typing dimensions to set thickness. Built in snapping tools.

My screenshots took me about....under 10 minutes. I'm no pro though, I can just do some basic stuff.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Let me know if you have any SketchUp questions, I'm really a total noob and switched over to Fusion360 but in principle there are a lot of similarities. One of my largest knowledge gaps is the follow tool (also no idea on OpenCutList, I saw it but didn't get it working before switching to Fusion), but I will say that Bandwagon Bandwagon is spot on conceptually of how to model. It is much "easier" to think about sketching things in 2d and extrude or push/pull in to 3d. Before I was struggling greatly trying to made 3d things. Which sounds dumb b/c I had a few years of 3D Studio training (but I was like 13).

No big weekend project updates. Smoked a brisket for 12 hours an during all that did yardwork, played on the playground with the 4 year old.

Did squeeze in a minute to hit the top of the desk with 180 and 220 sandpaper, so am finished with that until I go to seal it (still leaning towards 1/3 mineral, 1/3 oil, 1/3 varnish; I'd like to find a real traditional Shaker finish that doesn't take 3 weeks to set). Was also able to cut out the legs and taper one of them. Going to rework my taper jig that I made. The taper wasn't that bad but was difficult setting up and I'd like to to be more repeatable.

1654481236232.png

Also spent Friday doing pre-marriage stuff and picked out our wedding bands. This one is Sapele. They had a lot of different choices of hardwoods but ended up picking this b/c I now use it and it looked better with the rose gold. The rose gold is to coordinate with her engagement ring and wedding band.

1654481335002.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For Sketchup, I also went the fuck around and learn as you go. Only thing I can think of (with my limited knowledge of the software), that might be missed is that there are a lot of premade designs you can load up if you wanted to do something like layout a kitchen and just use placeholder cabinets on the 3d floorplan. Also, loading up premade molding and then stretching it to fit your needs is A++ shortcut.

Here are the two things I have done, the cabinet was the first thing I did, so it took an hour or 5+. Bottom is a bookshelf speaker I am going to try to build out of layered Baltic Birch plywood, sometime in the next 6 months.
TV Stand - 4 doors - 3 inch molding.png

Bookshelf Speaker Box.png

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

This is just a modification of the one you showed earlier, right? If it is stable enough and she likes it I would futz with it too much. If you wanted to work on different Leg / Apron stuff you could consider doing mortise and tennons or maybe just playing with how the apron meets the leg and insetting the apron.

There are as many ideas as the day is long :)

1654522537031.png

1654522615221.png

1654523280378.png

I'm not sure about attaching the top to the apron for expansion of the wood across the grain. And I'm sure this is out thinking the room and making it more complicated. Did you use brackets underneath or screws? This is what I'll be doing on my desk.

1654523059149.png

Getting distracted with Monday morning conference calls and this post is turning in to jibberish!

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You can go fuck yourself with the mortise and tennons, sir.

I did the first one with dowels. Thats was I was planning with the next, too.

I thought about offsetting the legs, but never really did a mockup. Maybe ill go that route

• 2Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well I totally forgot to put together my Daughter's birthday present, but I spent 2 hours last night practicing resawing on the bandsaw with a 2x4 and 4x4, shaving off 1/4in pieces. Made an improvement from the first to last, but nothing I'd brag about yet ;) .

I also poured resin on the practice contour table, giving myself another life lesson in slowing down and remembering to plug the fucking gaps first...
Screenshot_20220606-080527_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220606-080543_Gallery.jpg

After some tactical application of 3m tape
Screenshot_20220606-080605_Gallery.jpg

Not expecting much out of this one. I only have about 1/8in worth of room to sand before I end up sanding all the resin out, so I'm guessing I'll ruin this thing completely next weekend.

And I started engraving version 2, this time with much deeper grooves and alignment marks for doweling.

Screenshot_20220606-081024_Gallery.jpg

• 2Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure about attaching the top to the apron for expansion of the wood across the grain.
Not sure I'm following the discussion, but theres no reason to screw through the apron.

Use figure 8 clips or traditional turnbuttons unless you just *have* to pick the table up by its top constantly.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not sure I'm following the discussion, but theres no reason to screw through the apron.

Use figure 8 clips or traditional turnbuttons unless you just *have* to pick the table up by its top constantly.

Nothing you're missing. I am just in the middle of the desk build and showed the method the original planner used and how I was going to do it for the sake of learning.

It is over complicated and figure 8s that I've also used before would probably suffice, was me just spitting ideas out there freeform.

1654551448909.png

• 1Like