Woodworking

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This is really cool. I had never seen this. Dissolving steel wool into vinegar and then using it as a "stain".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Nice work. I'm quite jealous! You going to sell any of that walnut or keep to use?

I might sell some of it, but probably gonna keep most.

I have a few pretty big pieces that might work as live edge tabletops I could probably finance this whole project with.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I might sell some of it, but probably gonna keep most.

I have a few pretty big pieces that might work as live edge tabletops I could probably finance this whole project with.
Where the hell do you sell those things? The furniture and consignment stores all take 40-60% around here.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Fyi, walnut sawdust smells amazing. There are worse fates in life.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Not just that, save all your scraps for fires. Excellent smells come from burning great wood like that.

My only regret is that it creates sawdust instead of chips we can put in the smoker.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’ve been wondering what to do with all the Cherry chips and flakes I’m making from all the hand planing, routing, and thickness planer.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Fyi, walnut sawdust smells amazing. There are worse fates in life.
Be careful; walnut sawdust is a known lung irritant. Repeated exposure can lead to pretty nasty respiratory and skin allergies and is associated with nasal cancer. (This is beyond the normal lung fibrosis from all fine dust.) It's also wickedly toxic to animals like horses and some dogs.

Last edited:

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Be careful; walnut sawdust is a known lung irritant. Repeated exposure can lead to pretty nasty respiratory and skin allergies and is associated with nasal cancer. (This is beyond the normal lung fibrosis from all fine dust.) It's also wickedly toxic to animals like horses and some dogs.

Also toxic to a lot of crops too, like it was killing my tomatos, which is how we got to this point in the first place!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
true detective time GIF

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Circle of Life. We're all gonna' end up in a proverbial "frankenstein'd garage saw mill" eventually.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Couple of things I saw this morning:

Taytools is having a clearance on some Narex branded chisels that are really good pricing. I'd buy these over one of the Amazon Chineseum brands if you were at all interested or just needed a backup.

Also, Stumpy released a video on the new 3M Orbital sander and it looks pretty good. I've been using the 3M Xtract sanding discs since they came out and love them, the 3M Xtract sander looks great. I was considering buying a Festool sander for finishing a couple of weeks ago.

They sold out in 2hrs after the Stumpy video buy they site says they're getting more in stock at the 30% off intro rate. If I can grab one at that rate I may just do it, otherwise probably not paying full price. Who knows, finishing kind of sucks, and if a smoother, quieter, less dustier sander helps out, it may be worth it in the long run over a couple of years.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I want that sander. I have the DeWalt that Stumpy had in the video for the new 3M. It works well enough, but it is really uncomfortable on any project that takes a lot of sanding. I've already got enough carpal tunnel/nerve issues in my hands from all the gaming/PC abuse over the years. I really want a comfortable sander. I'd probably buy that at the discounted price Taytools has it as, but not at their listed retail. The listed retail puts it right up there with the electric Mirka. Hopefully that discount price turns out to be their going price in general.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I want that sander. I have the DeWalt that Stumpy had in the video for the new 3M. It works well enough, but it is really uncomfortable on any project that takes a lot of sanding. I've already got enough carpal tunnel/nerve issues in my hands from all the gaming/PC abuse over the years. I really want a comfortable sander. I'd probably buy that at the discounted price Taytools has it as, but not at their listed retail. The listed retail puts it right up there with the electric Mirka. Hopefully that discount price turns out to be their going price in general.

Yeah, I use like a 15 year old Black and Decker that feels like a 8.5 earthquake in my hand while using it and sounds as loud as my damn table saw, so it really is appealing to me.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I’ve been wondering what to do with all the Cherry chips and flakes I’m making from all the hand planing, routing, and thickness planer.
With Cherry, you can bag the shavings and sell it to people who keep chickens or small animals like rabbits as bedding. Although it's not worth it unless you have a lot.

I keep some of my cherry and cedar shavings as packing material for woodworking gifts. Pine also smells nice (depending on variety) and makes nice fluffy shavings.

Shavings > packing peanuts!

Also, if you have a fireplace or use candles a lot, it's fun to keep a basket of "spills" to light them. You can make or buy a Spill Plane. They are like old timey matches ;p

• 2Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>

I was thinking about this today as I was milling logs 3 and 4....underneath where the tree was standing, everything started growing again. Grass, weeds, all that kinda shit. I have a lot of spots in my backyard where plants are undesirable. I wonder if I can use all the sawdust as some kind of natural herbicide. I mean...it worked while it was alive.

Plus, I've been working on this shit for so long, I've let the lawn and the trimming go, so I don't really wanna do that.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I was thinking about this today as I was milling logs 3 and 4....underneath where the tree was standing, everything started growing again. Grass, weeds, all that kinda shit. I have a lot of spots in my backyard where plants are undesirable. I wonder if I can use all the sawdust as some kind of natural herbicide. I mean...it worked while it was alive.

Yeah, that works as far as I know. The wood doesn't have as much juglone as the fruit, but it should at least stunt the growth of whatever's there.