Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I was going to do wall storage too and have been kicking around the idea for months....but storage for sheets of plywood is always the part that I'd scratch my head on. I've also changed the wood storage stuff in my garage 4 times in the last 2 years, so I figured "fuck it....I'll just make one of those rolling carts". I have a ton of wood too, since my neighbor gave me a bunch from his place while he was clearing out his garage.

I do like the storage for small odds and ends on this thing too. Between the laser cutter and the CNC, I have a lot of uses for those small pieces.
wouldn't the best space for sheets of plywood be a ceiling mount right above the garage door, since theres limited height there, but it'd be perfect for wide flat sheets then? granted i know nothing about woodworking

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
wouldn't the best space for sheets of plywood be a ceiling mount right above the garage door, since theres limited height there, but it'd be perfect for wide flat sheets then? granted i know nothing about woodworking
For space, maybe, but sheets of ply are awkward and heavy and getting them up and down would be a major pain. And if you ever have multiple types of sheets, the one you want will be in the middle of the stack.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
For space, maybe, but sheets of ply are awkward and heavy and getting them up and down would be a major pain. And if you ever have multiple types of sheets, the one you want will be in the middle of the stack.
then use a bike/canoe hoist! even better

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any of you wood bros ever venture into the world of model boat/ship building? I have little to no experience woodworking but have wanted to get into it for years. The cost of tools and wood especially since Covid hit has really made bigger projects tough for me, so I decided ships would be a good challenge to test myself and learn, but on a smaller, slightly more affordable scale. First model I chose is an 11 inch flat bottom yankee tender. So far I have the building jig made, transom and stern fabricated, and the chines were fit yesterday. I’ll plank the bottom and sides next. The learning curve on this is fairly steep for someone with no wood working experience, but I’m having a total blast figuring out what to do. Pics below - sorry for the messy work space. Using my dining room table since I don’t have any kind of real workshop setup in my garage yet.

EA8DA2C3-AF03-4122-BD63-B42431B7020F.jpeg
909F0D71-7677-4EEF-86C7-99AFD4196DC5.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Any of you wood bros ever venture into the world of model boat/ship building? I have little to no experience woodworking but have wanted to get into it for years. The cost of tools and wood especially since Covid hit has really made bigger projects tough for me, so I decided ships would be a good challenge to test myself and learn, but on a smaller, slightly more affordable scale. First model I chose is an 11 inch flat bottom yankee tender. So far I have the building jig made, transom and stern fabricated, and the chines were fit yesterday. I’ll plank the bottom and sides next. The learning curve on this is fairly steep for someone with no wood working experience, but I’m having a total blast figuring out what to do. Pics below - sorry for the messy work space. Using my dining room table since I don’t have any kind of real workshop setup in my garage yet.

View attachment 431965View attachment 431966
That's awesome!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>

Looks good! Take your time. Precision is key on small, complex pieces like this. But ultimately it doesn't need to be seaworthy, so make sure to keep enjoying the process. Looks like its going well!

• 1Solidarity

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I love this thread so much.

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Built a gate yesterday, glad I went with cedar to keep it light. I learned building gates is hard but doable. Took about 10 hours including removing old post which involved cutting the concrete. Left enough space to throw a bunch of loose stones down. Sadly this is a low spot and pools with water. I can’t fix it easily or would flood my neighbors house.
78CF137A-358B-4BB6-9983-BD63F781C342.jpeg
2F204A9D-7569-4EDA-983D-49F421868619.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Built a gate yesterday, glad I went with cedar to keep it light. I learned building gates is hard but doable. Took about 10 hours including removing old post which involved cutting the concrete. Left enough space to throw a bunch of loose stones down. Sadly this is a low spot and pools with water. I can’t fix it easily or would flood my neighbors house.View attachment 432262View attachment 432263
You piece of shit didn’t respond to my gate building question in Home Improvement thread! We could have been project buddies!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Built a gate yesterday, glad I went with cedar to keep it light. I learned building gates is hard but doable. Took about 10 hours including removing old post which involved cutting the concrete. Left enough space to throw a bunch of loose stones down. Sadly this is a low spot and pools with water. I can’t fix it easily or would flood my neighbors house.View attachment 432262View attachment 432263
You have a skinny neck

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Re: your low spot - it wouldn’t be an easy project, but it’s pretty simple to run a French drain/catch basin out to the street.

I like this Apple Drains guy on YouTube. Here’s the vid with your solution if your house is lower than the street:

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Re: your low spot - it wouldn’t be an easy project, but it’s pretty simple to run a French drain/catch basin out to the street.

I like this Apple Drains guy on YouTube. Here’s the vid with your solution if your house is lower than the street:

My house is like 2 feet higher then my
Neighbors so technically it is his low spot, I would just make his issue way worse if I were to level out my side of the fence.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

i watched tons of hours off appledrains guy before i bought my house cause my realtor said my crawlspace might have to be encasement, so i did a few hours of prep, but then the inspector said the crawlspace was fine

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I finally got to do some more work on the tsble saw. I just need to find belts and a new hairpin cotterpin for the motor. Then wire the new button in and mount it. And I'm done after that I think lol. I also got to my old vice this week and cleaned and regressed it.
20220906_065617.jpg
20220908_091150.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Under your gate you could dig it several feet deep and fill it with rocks, like a mini French drain. Might not totally solve the problem, but it might be good for everything but the heaviest rains. I did this beside my driveway - I have one corner where everything drains to. It always had a puddle there after rain. I made a 4x4 foot hole, 6 feet deep, lined it with landscaping fabric, and filled it with rocks. Haven't had a puddle there since.