Woodworking

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Making picture frames is pretty fun. I'm slowly getting better at my miter joint game.
1607794737112.png

You can see i'm not perfectly aligned on this. Need to make a right proper mitre jig. Still in passing it looks pretty good.

1607794770884.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>
How would you attach the joints on there for a nice clean glued up joint?

Dowel or other floating tenon with epoxy would be an option. Thats a hard one to get a strong joint.

The best way would be to dado the shelves into the sides and use epoxy, then the joints where the sides meet is less critical since the shelves would be providing rigidity. Also use at least 1/2" plywood for the back, and glue/epoxy + screws to keep it from racking if you want to get fancy, you could dado the sides into the back as well. It would require precise router work and angled cuts on the shelves, but would end up solid as a rock.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Making picture frames is pretty fun. I'm slowly getting better at my miter joint game.
View attachment 322916

You can see i'm not perfectly aligned on this. Need to make a right proper mitre jig. Still in passing it looks pretty good.

View attachment 322918
Looks nice! Do you have a hand plane? A shooting board plus a sharp hand plane = perfect miter joints, even if you're starting from a table saw jig.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
3rd drawer is a charm.
20201212_215119.jpg
20201212_215125.jpg
20201212_215131.jpg
20201212_215138.jpg
Gonna consider this morherfucker done, dropping it off tomorrow. I do need to adjust the final drawer back about an 1/8 of an inch cause it is bugging me but pretty happy how it turned out

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This looks amazeballs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did a dry fit yesterday before finish and so glad I did, turns out that it was sitting way too short up in the apron and needed a couple more inches, sooo I made some blocks that are going where the legs attach to move it up, need more clamps, already ordered, cause I have to do one side at a time but I swear I'm gonna have it done by this weekend. Oh and I have to rebuild a drawr again since one was 1/16 out of square files.

View attachment 322332View attachment 322333View attachment 322334
are we looking at a table or your collection of vacuums?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
if you really like deep clean carpets, can't recommend the bissell green machine enough, its bacisically like one of those rug doctors you rent from the supermarket
We have mostly wood floors but the dog always has to find a rug or carpet whenever he needs to throw up or shit in the house, I got one ot the handheld Bissell pet cleaners that looks like an old dirt devil on prime day and it has been a lifesaver.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We have mostly wood floors but the dog always has to find a rug or carpet whenever he needs to throw up or shit in the house, I got one ot the handheld Bissell pet cleaners that looks like an old dirt devil on prime day and it has been a lifesaver.
if its the white 100$ bissell, they rated that as good as the green machine

i actually have both and i can agree with just a simple test of cleaning w/ bissell first then the deep clean and it's practically clear.

of course the capacity in the bissell is like a bottle of coke lulz, so thats where the green deep clean comes in

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went looking for some local woodshops today just to branch out.

1st place had a decent website, nice pictures, price list. Got all ready to head out because they had strange hours, only open Wednesday and Sunday. Looked them up once more to give a call... and their hours are 8am - 12pm. And it was 12:10. Two days a week is strange enough but 4 hours only on those two days? Maybe those hours are showroom only and he runs a full time portion that is for milling then he sells on those days? Need to check in to this.

2nd place has no hardwoods in stock and only orders from suppliers, plus their standard showroom is closed for COVID.

3rd place is open, has nice stock, was recommended by a friend. Their Google Earth pin is about .5 mile away from the actual office so had to drive back and forth a few times. Place was actually nice. Not huge or anything. Sales attendant helped out. Left with about 14 bf of 5/4 Hickory for ~$70, that was with tax and credit card processing charges. They custom cut it to length and didn't make me pay for the extra, only what I took. Really made me want to go crazy with some of the ~$20+ bf stuff they had. It was gorgeous but I'd just butcher it.

Took about 35m to drive out to but I'll definitely be going back. They were awesome.

Now I need to glue up the hickory for the top of a cabinet I'm working on. Also picked up a 5 1/2" x 60" 4/4 Poplar board because none of the Home Stores around me had anything but 3/4" poplar and needed something thicker for the cabinet feet.

/blog

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Went looking for some local woodshops today just to branch out.

1st place had a decent website, nice pictures, price list. Got all ready to head out because they had strange hours, only open Wednesday and Sunday. Looked them up once more to give a call... and their hours are 8am - 12pm. And it was 12:10. Two days a week is strange enough but 4 hours only on those two days? Maybe those hours are showroom only and he runs a full time portion that is for milling then he sells on those days? Need to check in to this.

2nd place has no hardwoods in stock and only orders from suppliers, plus their standard showroom is closed for COVID.

3rd place is open, has nice stock, was recommended by a friend. Their Google Earth pin is about .5 mile away from the actual office so had to drive back and forth a few times. Place was actually nice. Not huge or anything. Sales attendant helped out. Left with about 14 bf of 5/4 Hickory for ~$70, that was with tax and credit card processing charges. They custom cut it to length and didn't make me pay for the extra, only what I took. Really made me want to go crazy with some of the ~$20+ bf stuff they had. It was gorgeous but I'd just butcher it.

Took about 35m to drive out to but I'll definitely be going back. They were awesome.

Now I need to glue up the hickory for the top of a cabinet I'm working on. Also picked up a 5 1/2" x 60" 4/4 Poplar board because none of the Home Stores around me had anything but 3/4" poplar and needed something thicker for the cabinet feet.

/blog
Nice I have two good dealers just down the street, great selection and awesome guys, wish I could just buy what I need, if the boards are all 10ft long boards I'm buying all 10ft even if I only need 6 or 8ft. They have good prices though so can't complain too much and I can always find things to make out of scraps.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nice I have two good dealers just down the street, great selection and awesome guys, wish I could just buy what I need, if the boards are all 10ft long boards I'm buying all 10ft even if I only need 6 or 8ft. They have good prices though so can't complain too much and I can always find things to make out of scraps.

Yeah the lady that was working had been there for 3-4 years, she admitted she wasn't gonna help me decide if Ash would go with Purpleheart or the expansion characteristics in Arkansas humidity of African Anigre. But she was like "you know I don't -have- to sell you the whole board if you aren't going to use it." They were only 7-8' anyways and just had her cut them to 6' 1" so I'd have some play. And it was mostly b/c 6' +/- 1' is about what I can fit in my CX-5 lol

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’ve been keeping my ear to the ground for a thickness planer. I can’t justify $500 for a nice new one so I’ve been hoping to catch one for $150-$200. I’ve been setting aside some cash each month so I guess if I don’t have one by the time I’ve saved up $500 or so I’ll be able to enjoy a nice dewalt like that!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I’ve been keeping my ear to the ground for a thickness planer. I can’t justify $500 for a nice new one so I’ve been hoping to catch one for $150-$200. I’ve been setting aside some cash each month so I guess if I don’t have one by the time I’ve saved up $500 or so I’ll be able to enjoy a nice dewalt like that!
I see the ridged go on sale for around 230 every once in a while on slickdeals.

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I was thinking to maybe get a 2nd hand one. And about 175 for a budget.
Yeah second hand will be your best bet then. Will depend on your area how easy they are to find. An old delta would be a goid option, they run forever as long as the motor is in decent condition