Woodworking

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Maybe some one will get one they don’t need for Christmas and post it on Facebook or Offer Up. Only way I see picking one up any time soon.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Japanese Joinery videos keep popping up on my youtube, I can watch shit like that all day.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Yeah second hand will be your best bet then. Will depend on your area how easy they are to find. An old delta would be a goid option, they run forever as long as the motor is in decent condition
My grandfather had an old delta from the late 60s. Big standing floor model within a 24x18 table. I was still a kid when their house and stuff was sold. Wish one of the uncles kept it. now to keep an eye out

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been trying to get to a decent point for a picture the last week and everything looks like shit so whatever. Tomorrow I'm cleaning everything up and getting ready to stain and for the last parts.

Today I made the barndoor hardware (again, forgot pics) out of some 1/8" aluminum I sprayed with Rustoleum dark grey. Shelves are finished but not in. And top is ready to be worked on except the damn thing is too heavy for me to move off my workbench since I constructed it upside down on there.

Oh and the bottom molding isn't installed because my original miters weren't lining up so I had a piece to re-cut. The bottom molding holds the runner that the barn doors ride on so am waiting till that goes in to mount so that everything is lined up.

The outer cabinets hold drawers that are 16.5" and the middle cabinets are shelves.

It is all Poplar and Birch. Top will be Hickory and drawer fronts will be similar and stained to match the top. Based off plans from Woodsmith and modified.

Second pic is me experimenting with stain combos today for the finish look. Teal is her favorite color so trying to bring that in. I like the look but want a -little- bit more teal without going heavy and streaky.

Garage is a mess. Didn't get my shop vac and everything until this week ;)

Cabinet.jpg

Stain Test.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
First shot at staining today, not too bad I guess. One side is darker than the other which miffs me but not much I can do about it. It was cut out with a router so I can take no praise from the cuts.

Attachments

• Frontside.jpg
    Frontside.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Backside.jpg
    Backside.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
First shot at staining today, not too bad I guess. One side is darker than the other which miffs me but not much I can do about it. It was cut out with a router so I can take no praise from the cuts.
What kind of wood is that? Looks like pine plywood? Any kind of pine is going to stain unevenly. There are some tricks, though. Too late for this project (I've seen way worse, that's not too bad), but try a coat of dewaxed blonde shellac (zinsser "sanding sealer" is easy to get) and sand to 220 grit. Sand, seal, sand lightly after by hand, then stain. This will even out the amout of stain the wood can absorb. You can test this on a sample piece. You may need to seal twice depending on how coarse the grain is.

Also, you can completely seal with dewaxed shellac and use a gel stain on top, then top with a clear coat.

Finishing is an art and science of its own. It takes patience and experimentation to get good at it.

Best bet is to use hardwood faced plywood or just solid hardwood for stain projects. Keep Making!

whoo

<Silver Donator>
A simple craftsman style rocking chair and side table I made for my mother. Not super remarkable except for the fact that this is the first chair I made 100% with hand tools from rough sawn white oak. Both pieces dimensioned, cut and finished by hand. Even sculpted the seat with a travisher, but it's hard to see in this photo.

There are 4 screws total. 2 to keep the rockers aligned (there are small 3/8 tenons on the end of the legs, but not enough glue surface there), and 2 more for the turnbuttons that keep the table top on. The rest is 60ish mortise and tenon joints.

Very fun project! Sorry for the bad lighting, I tried to get creative, but I am not a photographer.

chair_2.jpg

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Whipped up a little mobile cabinet to put the plainer on, get it ucked under the shelf, gonna add some drawers to get some shit organized... Can you hear my scream of frustration

20201223_150641.jpg

20201223_150647.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Measured 15 times, cut 11 or 12, still too short.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Shelf needs cleaning off and raised an inch anyway. There are no shop failures, just opportunities to make more sawdust!

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Do planers work well on epoxy if fully cured? For resin inlays?
Yes, works fine. The finished epoxy surface will need sanding and polishing if you want it to be clear/shiny again though.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shelf needs cleaning off and raised an inch anyway. There are no shop failures, just opportunities to make more sawdust!
That was my first thought, gonna have to raise the shelf, guess I know what I'm doing next week.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I always see them for around $350. That about normal? All I'm doing is 1/4" 11" x 20"
Which model? That seems cheap. If youre going consumer grade, I'd stick with the 12.5" dewalt. Its by far the most popular /best reviews and has easy to get parts and upgrades.

Edit: check the specs to make sure it will plane down to 1/4". I don't have one of those. If not you can make a jig {probably should anyway)

• 1Like