Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Gave up on the 45 for these 3, lol
Screenshot_20210601-222232_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-222246_Gallery.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I’ve never been able to get repeatable 45s with my miter saws (Ryobi consumer grade). I recently learned how to use a speed square for measuring and marking miter angles and transfer/repeat them using an old fashioned bevel gauge. I haven’t tried that technique for 45s yet but it worked perfectly for repeated 18 degree cuts I needed for a couple of sawhorses I made a month ago.

I used the laser on the saw and aligned it over my mark and then locked in the angle. After a few cuts I’d have to tighten or adjust the miter saw but that may not be a problem with nicer saws.

Edit: when I was googling to make sure I had the correct name for the bevel gauge I saw there’s some that have digital readouts. I may grab one of those!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You can cut true 45s on consumer saws. The thing is you have to set them up and lock them in properly. This goes for any saw or any equipment. You never trust the detents, you measure yourself to make sure the blade is true 90 and then measure the 45 to make sure its true, then make some cuts in scrap and go from there to fine tune it. By the time you have that shit dialed in and perfect and tightened down, you will get repeatable 45s. Also, you will want to replace those shit blades that come on a consumer saw with something thats worth a damn, good 80tooth thin kerf blade $50-$100.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thats basically what I learned last night when I was cutting. Make multiple test cuts and check against a square on 4 corners/sides and adjust accordingly. I'll try 45s again on the next one after learning that lesson...

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I’ve never been able to get repeatable 45s with my miter saws (Ryobi consumer grade). I recently learned how to use a speed square for measuring and marking miter angles and transfer/repeat them using an old fashioned bevel gauge. I haven’t tried that technique for 45s yet but it worked perfectly for repeated 18 degree cuts I needed for a couple of sawhorses I made a month ago.

I used the laser on the saw and aligned it over my mark and then locked in the angle. After a few cuts I’d have to tighten or adjust the miter saw but that may not be a problem with nicer saws.

Edit: when I was googling to make sure I had the correct name for the bevel gauge I saw there’s some that have digital readouts. I may grab one of those!

You need a miter saw that doesn't have a detent at 45 and 90 degrees. Friend had one that was micro adjustable. Unlock it and put a square there and then had a thumb screw to get it exactly right. Cut a scrap piece and adjust if needed.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I talked to a few furniture places yesterday. The owner/manager was only there at one of them, and she said "I do consignment for a 50/50 split, or 60% you / 40% me if you made the furniture."
Wtf? Is that anywhere close to reasonable for stiff like this?

The other place I'm looking at is a massive consignment mall that all of us like going to and is usually pretty packed. They're rate is $135/mo + 12%.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I bet that's a similar markup to the other furniture in the store. Floor space in a store staffed by sales people, delivery guys, janitors, etc isn't cheap. You can always sell it yourself and keep all the money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Really good deal on this planer right now. $499.99 as of 8pm EST.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
60 hour weeks at work for the last month. Got another 2-3 hours of getting rid of branches, then another couple hours of cutting firewood to size, then finally gotta figure out how to flip this bitch over so I can cut it down to 4' lengths so I can move it up the hill to level ground and mill it.

IMG_20210623_203328252.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I would burn my house down in a fit of rage long before I got that to come together.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I love Mr. Ishitani's work. No nonsense, simple, efficient, and technically perfect.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I love Mr. Ishitani's work. No nonsense, simple, efficient, and technically perfect.

Nice. Is it uncool to use a dado set vs. just sending it across the table saw 75 times? Also I thought cool woodworkers didn't like biscuit joints. Maybe that's just a couple people I've seen?

I would love to work in that shop. Just the table saw with that gigantic sled would be a game changer for a lot of things.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nice. Is it uncool to use a dado set vs. just sending it across the table saw 75 times? Also I thought cool woodworkers didn't like biscuit joints. Maybe that's just a couple people I've seen?

I would love to work in that shop. Just the table saw with that gigantic sled would be a game changer for a lot of things.
LOL just having a dedicated shop for all this stuff would be a game changer. Right now if I have to use my table saw means like 2 hrs of moving shit out of the way and making room for it in my gay-rage.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Uncool? No but some people probably have different opinions. The main thing may have to do with dados not being legal in places and not all table saws set up to support them / certain sizes. So there are varying opinions on how to do it vs. people’s comfort level vs. access to the equipment. I’ve also read a lot of people are just scared of them bc they’ve heard stories or don’t know how/like to change saw blades.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Dado stacks are variously illegal or even physically impossible to mount on table saws in some places outside the US due to perceived safety hazards. As far as the biscuit joints, every single woodworker who actually runs a production shop uses them for panel alignment. They're just so fucking useful and fast. The people who don't are youtube/instagram lifestyle personailties or teachers using woodworking as their hook more than they are actual craft professionals.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!