Woodworking

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Got the hinges and latch on. Of course I'm not 100% happy, but it is my first attempt. The styles and types were overwhelming and there was no way for me to know before just doing them. The hinges were a pita b/c I didn't bother with a jig. Ended up just using double sided tape and laying the door on top and pressing down, then pulling the door off and drilling the pilots with a self centering bit.

I've got a little more time to work on it. Showed the lady I'm making it for some pictures and she's super excited. First she's seen of it since I was too worried to show her progress shots. Also need to install the chain tomorrow too. Might try and work out the varnish a bit. She asked for the single cross piece on each door, which was in the original plan but I liked the grain and open look, tried to sell her on that lol.

This will be the last one I do for $250 rofl

The iPhone picture makes it look strange. It isn't that glowy or shiny in real life. That color but the photo pics up a lot of extra sheen. Strange.

IMG_3606_copy.jpeg
IMG_3608_copy.jpeg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Put some work in on this guy over the weekend. Just finishing up the 220grit, need to pick up some more tomorrow.
I have painters tape stuck in the resin all the way around the perimeter.

1649652203495.png

Screenshot_20220410-213635_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220410-213613_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220410-213553_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220410-213535_Gallery.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Misc questions-

The table I'm making is joined pine planks. I put a 45d chamfer in the edge. What am I missing re: getting the edge looking perfect? End grain is a pain and I don't mind a fuck ton of sanding, but I don't know how to do it without rounding off my chamfer.

I also fucked up the resin pretty bad last night when I stained it. I've applied stain to the wood after doing resin inlay a bunch of times and got it stuck in my head that it doesn't affect the resin and I can just wipe it right back off....but this is the first white/pearl inlay I've done and realized last night that it sure as shit holds some of the stain, lol. Did I ruin this thing or can I sand down a little bit or buff it out of the resin with something? I took it to 600grit before staining, if that matters.

And lastly....is there some kind of....I don't know how to word this. I don't need a full blown lathe, but something like a pottery wheel that has one of the brackets from a lathe would be really damn useful. Does that kind of thing exist?

whoo

<Silver Donator>
The table I'm making is joined pine planks. I put a 45d chamfer in the edge. What am I missing re: getting the edge looking perfect? End grain is a pain and I don't mind a fuck ton of sanding, but I don't know how to do it without rounding off my chamfer
The chamfer should be the last thing you do. If you're using a router (vs hand planes) you would do the vertical router pass first to clean up the end grain, or use your table saw, then sand using a sanding block to get off any burn marks. Then do your chamfer. Again sand with a rigid sanding block. If the edge is epoxy, you will have to sand through the grits by hand with blocks or you will round over the edges.

I also fucked up the resin pretty bad last night when I stained it.

You will have to sand it out. I'd start with 120 grit and see how quickly it comes out. Then resand through the grits.

something like a pottery wheel that has one of the brackets from a lathe would be really damn useful.
Not really. Some people use their drill press like this, but its sketchy for use with chisels. Works ok for sanding or polishing small things like knobs/handles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And lastly....is there some kind of....I don't know how to word this. I don't need a full blown lathe, but something like a pottery wheel that has one of the brackets from a lathe would be really damn useful. Does that kind of thing exist?

Yes. They're mostly used for welding.

3 Jaw Rotary Welding Positioner Turntable Table Mini Lathe Chuck 110V 2.5" Worktable Welder Positioner Turntable Machine
This is a pretty cheap one.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ahhh i didn't thing to do a vertical router pass first. That definitely would have helped with a lot of the shit I'm trying to sand out.

I'll sand the epoxy back down tonight and hope the stain penetrated deep enough into the wood that it looks good afterwards. Doubt it though.

And thanks for the link @brutal. More than I want for something rarely used, but ill look around some more. I was planning on swinging by a pawn shop and getting a motor or 20$ drill to make my own if needed.

I made this on the laser 2 nights ago and works mostly fine, I just don't want to risk ficming up my nice drill.
Screenshot_20220415-105442_Gallery.jpg

Made this last night too. Works well, but I realized I should have used a series of holes instead of channels.
Screenshot_20220415-105427_Gallery.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also I’ve found (and after watching a YouTube video years ago) that sanding end grain to a higher grit (maybe 2x’ish) also helps your finishing. End grain will suck up more of your finish and the higher grit will prevent such a large discrepancy in look between your faces of the project. Also would depend on where you’re putting your end grain, I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
watch japanese dude build a home, this is season3

you should see his pencil, he sharpens it like a fuckin syringe
fb7fc3ceb65104387d493eee1a83e0a8.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
watch japanese dude build a home, this is season3

fb7fc3ceb65104387d493eee1a83e0a8.png

Anyone know how much one of these houses cost? That wood and skill level probably cost a ton.

P.S. Is harvesting cinnamon considered wood working?

Goatface

this is a 14 part series that came out few years ago, it is a 30 year old house that they bought for around $30k.
crazy amount of work in the attic

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So in part two of my unisaw restoration project. I had time to clean and repaint the handles.

Then the cabinet, internal parts, fence, and motor.
20220413_150052(0).jpg
20220415_082746.jpg
20220418_160459.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know how much one of these houses cost? That wood and skill level probably cost a ton.

Thats just how they roll in Japan, they dont cut corners or do quick and dirty construction methods / stick framing. There are serious earthquake concerns everywhere in Japan, they overbuild everything, they want it all to last 75-100 yrs. They set piles 2-3-4 meters deep even for small buldings and when they pour concrete structures the amount of rebar in them is insane, 4" x 4" grids of number 4 bar thru the entire structure all hand tied.

You want you mind blown, go to Tokyo and watch them do infrastructure work at night. Many side streets are concrete legos plates with eye hooks set on top of an i-beam grid elevated a couple feet above grade. They can literally shut down traffic, bring in small cranes and lift up the street in pieces to gain access to the utilities underneath. Do the work and drop the road back into place before morning traffic. Insanely expensive to build upfront BUT in the long term it pays for itself because of ease of access to do maintenance. I would drink beer on balconies and watch them do that shit all night. impressive as fuck. Smart as hell. They know how to build.

Watch Japanese set a clay tile roof, its fucking amazing and will last 200 yrs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
There are serious earthquake concerns everywhere in Japan, they overbuild everything, they want it all to last 75-100 yrs.

The Japanese do not fuck around when it comes to Doing Things the Right Way, both out of necessity and as a general cultural proclivity.

This hospital survived without even a broken window at the epicenter of a 9.0 quake because the entire structure is mounted on a bed of enormous springs:

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

That is new school, old school Japanese Carpenters would take a stick of bamboo, sharpen it to an xacto knife point, put a slit in it like a fountain pen and dip it in India ink to do all their marking. In fact if you rewatch the video and see him snapping his lines, it's not a chalk box, they use Ink lines. Ink-Rite® | TAJIMA TOOL they measure meticulously, no do-overs snapping layout lines in ink.

Fun fact Japanese Ink lines are centuries old. If you run across really old ones they are works of art in themselves and can be worth a LOT of money to collectors.

s-l400.jpg

• 1Mother of God

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Gotta give props to Woodcraft for continued good customer experience. Was having some issue online where it wouldn't take a 10% off code so gave them a call. The nice lady ended up taking off more than 10% or each item (to round down to the nearest dollar) as well as taking off the shipping, without me even asking for anything. Was on and off the phone in 10 minutes and $15 cheaper than if I'd placed it through the site with the original code.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Throwing out a question for the group:

Looking for something to make for our wedding at the end of July. Not really a Bride's gift but something we'd use after the ceremony but we could also use at the ceremony. My head is kind of automatically going toward some type of table for the guest book / sign in.

Something possibly like the Saturday Table, maybe slightly proportioned different. Doesn't need to be huge or elaborate. This is closer to my style and a couple different spots we could put it in our house. But I'm open to other thoughts or something that might be a little taller / larger.

1650503354394.png

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Throwing out a question for the group:

Looking for something to make for our wedding at the end of July. Not really a Bride's gift but something we'd use after the ceremony but we could also use at the ceremony. My head is kind of automatically going toward some type of table for the guest book / sign in.

Something possibly like the Saturday Table, maybe slightly proportioned different. Doesn't need to be huge or elaborate. This is closer to my style and a couple different spots we could put it in our house. But I'm open to other thoughts or something that might be a little taller / larger.

View attachment 408876
Two+ chairs for your breakfast table (or someplace in the house) and then do the Horah with them:

There isn't a lot of furniture showcased in weddings, almost everything is covered with a table cloth. The only other table of some stature might be a round medium sized one, that the cake could sit on.

• 1Worf