Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I bought a $30 soda blaster just to try cleaning this thing up. Didn't do shit. Will a nicer one have a chance at cleaning this up? Or different abrasive? Or am I going down the wrong rabbit hole?
View attachment 455857View attachment 455858
They don't make a polishing bit for the CNC? Something that is "soft" where it might take 3 or 4 passes to even notice anything is happening? Maybe a process you would need to learn how to adjust the wood/software to accommodate it.

That ply looks real good though; don't see any voids for sandblasting/soda to get under and destroy.

Edit: Honestly, that looks pretty good. Some of the best you have posted in this thread. You may be able to light stain, put a coat of polly over it, then a light sand/buff, to make it look smoother, if that's what your going for. Maybe different finished liquids will do different things. Like rubbing a finishing wax directly into the wood... or linseed oil... or lacquer/shellac... (to throw out ideas that might be worth testing/researching, if you haven't already).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks Burns Burns , I'm happy with this one too (so far). I haven't tried using polishing stuff in the CNC yet. The cone-shaped polishing bit for my dremel is what I was thinking of using, but I want something like that that's about 220grit and abrasive, along with being squishy. If I can find a bit like that, I'll just use it in the same 3D finish toolpath I use. But that takes about 7 hours to run, so I was hoping something like a soda blaster could do it in 20 minutes.

Thanks for the recommendation whoo whoo . Ordered them yesterday, we'll see how they do.

Edit - maybe this is something to try in the machine 1" Nylon Abrasive End Brush at Grizzly.com

Last edited:
  • 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Thanks Burns Burns , I'm happy with this one too (so far). I haven't tried using polishing stuff in the CNC yet. The cone-shaped polishing bit for my dremel is what I was thinking of using, but I want something like that that's about 220grit and abrasive, along with being squishy. If I can find a bit like that, I'll just use it in the same 3D finish toolpath I use. But that takes about 7 hours to run, so I was hoping something like a soda blaster could do it in 20 minutes.

Thanks for the recommendation whoo whoo . Ordered them yesterday, we'll see how they do.

Edit - maybe this is something to try in the machine 1" Nylon Abrasive End Brush at Grizzly.com
If you try that brush from Grizzly, please let us know. It says it strips paint, rust and weld scale. Sounds like it might be too rough, but it's good to have options

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Make sure Grizzly doesn’t require $299 and lift gate service to ship it!

I kid… I kid…

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm glad. I do some complex carvings for my church, and i find them invaluable. Also sanding sponges. And micro files. :)

Do you have a go to for sponges? I used some Amazon Chineseum ones on a recent project and was wondering what the “quality” version was. 3M I guess hah

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Do you have a go to for sponges? I used some Amazon Chineseum ones on a recent project and was wondering what the “quality” version was. 3M I guess hah
Potentially relevant to your interests:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Unfortunately, I have not found a source for high quality sanding sponges that fills all my needs. I do use the 3M sanding sponges as well as the roloc "finger" type sanders. They also make a scotch brite ball you can put on a drill press and go to town. These are great but sometimes too large.

For really fine stuff I use jeweler's files (diamond and cut files) as well as tiny rifflers and rasps. Corradi (Italy) is one of the best sources for those.

Other than that, I buy or make what I need. Or use chinese junk if I can't find anything else

• 2Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Potentially relevant to your interests:

I am friendly with Matt. He's a great guy and a very creative problem solver. I made those demanding sanding blocks a couple of years ago and they work great for keeping crisp edges. I put 80, 120, 220 grit belts on the 3 I made. The belts last forever it seems.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Different kind of woodworking. Found these pics from a few years ago. For scale it's all on a solid core door. Cap 232 with an 84" wingspan and 80cc gas engine. Have some of thse completed plane and a 96" wingspan Extra 300 with a 100cc gas engine in flight I'll have to find. Lite ply and balsa construction with foam core balsa sheeted wings. Oh no I never rekitted one (crashed and walked off with nothing but sticks), closest was I squashed the landing gear on an 80" wingspan plane when one of 2 elevator servos locked.

DSC00497.JPG

DSC00498.JPG

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You know it has been a long time since you broke down lumber (or did anything) when you cut the stiles and rails for 6 drawers, do all the tongue and groove, then remember a 1x2 in the plans you wrote up are actually 1.5” and not 1.75”.

Not a big deal to fix but I had to laugh at myself looking at it going “why are all these drawer fronts off by 1/2 an inch??”

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I must have just gone to sleep the whole week that the drama surrounding Odie’s happened. I remember when Lincoln Street put out that video and just last week Inspire Woodcraft did one that he pretty much just said verbatim “fuck that guy.” It’s hilarious but have no idea why and haven’t bothered to look.

I think that video is what made me switch over to General Finish.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That's awesome. The tennon cutter saw is interesting, now sure I've seen that before.

The bit he was using to clean out the mortise didn't look like a pattern or flush trim bit, didn't see a collar on it. If that was freehand that's pretty great. I'd probably end up screwing those up.

I'm also about 10 seconds away from buying a track saw (Festool or otherwise). Been breaking down a lot of plywood sheets lately and god it is a huge pain in the ass.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That's awesome. The tennon cutter saw is interesting, now sure I've seen that before.

The bit he was using to clean out the mortise didn't look like a pattern or flush trim bit, didn't see a collar on it. If that was freehand that's pretty great. I'd probably end up screwing those up.

I'm also about 10 seconds away from buying a track saw (Festool or otherwise). Been breaking down a lot of plywood sheets lately and god it is a huge pain in the ass.
The radial arm saw? Those are neat tools if you use them properly. The old use case documentation is written by sone hilarious evil genius.

Or did you mean the shaper he used to finish the cheeks? I think that was actually a giant router bit that looks like a blade.

Goatface

was looking up some of his tools, as never heard of king canada
1680542859499.png

price is in CAD$, $2,979 USD

appears he is sponsored or something by king as he is in bunch of their vids.
1680543367095.png

$4,704 USD
1680543724209.png

$1,862 USD, base is $372