World Health Organization says we all now have a disease, Gaming Addiction

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
20hrs a week makes an addict? I go to work 40hrs a week. Now that's a problem I'd like solved.

• 5Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i know you guys want balk at this nonsense, but it's not nonsense and it's not really talking about anyone on this board specifically (though, probably some people might fit the criteria well). I'm an addictions counselor and the WHO has to word things a specific way. the simplest way to read that is this: "If you're gaming is causing problems, then it's a gaming problem."

the same way that someone can drink everyday and not be an alcoholic, someone can play video games everyday and not have a gaming addiction. addictions are GENERALLY not identified by the frequency, but by the problems CAUSED by the activity.

again, i know you guys want to make fun of all this because it sounds ridiculous, but this is a good thing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i know you guys want balk at this nonsense, but it's not nonsense and it's not really talking about anyone on this board specifically (though, probably some people might fit the criteria well). I'm an addictions counselor and the WHO has to word things a specific way. the simplest way to read that is this: "If you're gaming is causing problems, then it's a gaming problem."

the same way that someone can drink everyday and not be an alcoholic, someone can play video games everyday and not have a gaming addiction. addictions are GENERALLY not identified by the frequency, but by the problems CAUSED by the activity.

again, i know you guys want to make fun of all this because it sounds ridiculous, but this is a good thing.
if you play video games and your an "addictions counselor" you should know that this is bullshit.

Otherwise this website, from the ashes of a guild playing one of the most highly addictive "stuff your kid in a closet, making too much noise, i need to raid", games is pretty much 80% in denial.

b/c what you're basically saying is that ANY hobby is a fucking disorder.

OMG, stop coming home from work and home brewing beer for 3hours a day!!! you're addicted!!!

HOLY SHIT BITCH, get outta that fucking GARDEN!!!, you spend 3 hours a day pruning leaves n shit, put the wheel barrow down!!!

No, some ppl are just retards, and those main retards are the WHO.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
j00t is obviously a troll and if he isn't he is retarded

"plz don't pursue activities in such a way they damage your health", how long did you study?

Here is my advice, "build a delorean, go back in time, and study something in a serious field so you don't have to preach your bullshit here"

Good luck in the past!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I think there’s more than a few of us that know the craving for drugs and the craving for gaming.

There might even be a couple of us that intimately know the bone crunching crave of heroin. Even suggesting to that person it’s in the same ballpark as gaming is downright fucking ludicrous. A lack of gaming will not kill you.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
if you play video games and your an "addictions counselor" you should know that this is bullshit.

Otherwise this website, from the ashes of a guild playing one of the most highly addictive "stuff your kid in a closet, making too much noise, i need to raid", games is pretty much 80% in denial.

b/c what you're basically saying is that ANY hobby is a fucking disorder.

OMG, stop coming home from work and home brewing beer for 3hours a day!!! you're addicted!!!

HOLY SHIT BITCH, get outta that fucking GARDEN!!!, you spend 3 hours a day pruning leaves n shit, put the wheel barrow down!!!

No, some ppl are just retards, and those main retards are the WHO.

So you disagreed with him, but agreed with him. His point, but maybe not emphasized enough was that it's if the activity/hobby is causing problems in life. Dramatic EQ Scenario: parent not stepping away from the PC to help his injured kid because he didn't want to lose his rare spawn camp.

Or those guys in the asian LAN cafes who died due to malnutrition or whatever days because they didn't want to get up from the game.

But I feel like the stories etc are being overdramatic and are trying to make it sound worse than heroin and shit. I don't get home and watch TV or work in a garage or have a garden to work on, so I play games as my time waster. I feel compared to just binge watching TV like a lot of people, gaming is better, because at least you're interacting with them, using your own brain and reactions instead of just going full veg and staring.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I do recall the EQ addiction phase though. that shit was real back in the day. I would walk through life all pissed and angry....Untill I sat down at the computer, which was like a warm comfy blanket on a cold winter night. Ahhh, that feeling.

j00t

uh. seriously? i just said that playing video games does not equal a disorder. i said that if what you are doing is causing you harm and you don't stop, THAT is a disorder. i didn't call anyone out here. i just explained what WHO said. man, you guys are so worried that someone is going to bust down your door and throw you in an inpatient facility. that's not going to happen, that's not what this is about. calm down.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

So you disagreed with him, but agreed with him. His point, but maybe not emphasized enough was that it's if the activity/hobby is causing problems in life. Dramatic EQ Scenario: parent not stepping away from the PC to help his injured kid because he didn't want to lose his rare spawn camp.

Or those guys in the asian LAN cafes who died due to malnutrition or whatever days because they didn't want to get up from the game.

But I feel like the stories etc are being overdramatic and are trying to make it sound worse than heroin and shit. I don't get home and watch TV or work in a garage or have a garden to work on, so I play games as my time waster. I feel compared to just binge watching TV like a lot of people, gaming is better, because at least you're interacting with them, using your own brain and reactions instead of just going full veg and staring.

some people can't help but champion a cause and make it seem like it's the most serious thing around. that being said, ultimately i'm okay with it. there's ALWAYS a stigma that comes along with treatment of any kind, so if there are people out there talking about how serious it CAN be, and it helps someone to go "oh, wow, i didn't think i was this bad" then i think ultimately it's a good thing

j00t

where are you guys getting the 20 hours a week thing from? because i don't see any statement from WHO mentioning 20 hours...

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yes I love gaming, will always play games, and I don't need or want help.

Yes I think about games during other activities/work/etc.

I'm definitely not a gaming addict.

Almost any "passion" a person has would be considered an addiction if this was the case.

Addicted to Work, Sports, Hobbies, Entertainment, etc.
All of which are VASTLY different than Drug/Alcohol addiction.

Only reason this is brought up now is because a huge portion of the population have a passion for gaming now as opposed to in the past.

j00t

Yes I love gaming, will always play games, and I don't need or want help.

Yes I think about games during other activities/work/etc.

I'm definitely not a gaming addict.

Almost any "passion" a person has would be considered an addiction if this was the case.

Addicted to Work, Sports, Hobbies, Entertainment, etc.
All of which are VASTLY different than Drug/Alcohol addiction.

Only reason this is brought up now is because a huge portion of the population have a passion for gaming now as opposed to in the past.

okay, i'll bite. vastly different how? do you mean in terms of social stigma? yeah sure, i agree on that end. do you mean, potential for abuse? eh, i don't know about that. it's way easier to pick up some rando mobile game and get sucked in than to find a heroin dealer. way cheaper too. do you mean chemically? they both affect the exact same area of the brain by the exact same means. potential for disaster? eh, i mean we all want to say that stuff like heroin or synthetics can REALLY destroy your life real quick, but at the same time, it's a regular occurrence for people in asia to die in gaming cafes.

listen, here's my point. if you're comparing the average "gaming addict" to the average "heroin addict" you're going to end up a little one-sided. there's a whole lot of misinformation going on about drug use and drug addiction and how little they ACTUALLY overlap. so it's completely understandable that someone would misunderstand addictions on other levels. gambling addictions, food addictions, sex addictions. sex addiction is a real, diagnosable thing and no one is trying to stop people from having sex.

it's not about the activity, it's about what happens BECAUSE of the activity.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
okay, i'll bite. vastly different how? do you mean in terms of social stigma? yeah sure, i agree on that end. do you mean, potential for abuse? eh, i don't know about that. it's way easier to pick up some rando mobile game and get sucked in than to find a heroin dealer. way cheaper too. do you mean chemically? they both affect the exact same area of the brain by the exact same means. potential for disaster? eh, i mean we all want to say that stuff like heroin or synthetics can REALLY destroy your life real quick, but at the same time, it's a regular occurrence for people in asia to die in gaming cafes.

listen, here's my point. if you're comparing the average "gaming addict" to the average "heroin addict" you're going to end up a little one-sided. there's a whole lot of misinformation going on about drug use and drug addiction and how little they ACTUALLY overlap. so it's completely understandable that someone would misunderstand addictions on other levels. gambling addictions, food addictions, sex addictions. sex addiction is a real, diagnosable thing and no one is trying to stop people from having sex.

it's not about the activity, it's about what happens BECAUSE of the activity.

Vastly different in that Drugs/Alcohol are entering the system and affecting the body.
The other "addictions" trigger chemical reactions that are naturally produced by the body.

j00t

Vastly different in that Drugs/Alcohol are entering the system and affecting the body.
The other "addictions" trigger chemical reactions that are naturally produced by the body.
Naturally produced in unnatural amounts. But otherwise point taken

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Looking at the WHO site and the ICD-10, and how they classify stuff... this all just seems silly tbh.

First off, I'm assuming Gaming Addiciton falls under : F63 Habit and impulse disorders (http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/bluebook.pdf?ua=1)

The other categories here are:
F63.0 Pathological gambling
F63.1 Pathological fire-setting [pyromania]
F63.2 Pathological stealing [kleptomania]
F63.3 Trichotillomania
F63.8 Other habit and impulse disorders
F63.9 Habit and impulse disorder, unspecified

They could easily just put Gaming under "other", but because the industry is so big, I guess they want a new category.
But we don't see other big items like Facebook/social media addiction, Television addiction, Sports, etc etc.

Even Gambling/Fire-setting/Stealing need to be Severe: "pathological": "involving, caused by, or of the nature of a physical or mental disease. "

So technically it should be titled "Pathological gaming"

Yes I do believe there are people that have a gaming disease, but it will be very few, just like Gambling. Does it warrant a spot here?

Gambling / Fire-setting / Stealing all have larger consequences than Gaming...

At least imo.

I just think it's silly and Gaming should fall under "other" for as long as TV/Sports/Hobbies are all classified together under "Other".

In fact I think "Social Media Addiction" and/or "Smart Device/Cellphone Addiction" warrants a spot much more than Gaming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user