World Health Organization says we all now have a disease, Gaming Addiction

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Working in the adult mental health field, I highly doubt I'd ever come across this in an inpatient setting. It would most likely come off as depression, anxiety, or something else. There have been plenty of young guys who have come in who talk about video games constantly, but we don't treat them for that. Though I could see this diagnosed and treated in outpatient treatment, especially in teens and young adults.

i had a substance abuse client when i was doing outpatient counseling. he just went from one substance to another pretty rapidly. heroin, cocaine, meth, ecstasy, alcohol. this kid had no stop button. it was just 140mph at all times with anything he was doing. finally got him off substances and he went right to video games. kid was like 22 and was playing runescape 20 hours a day. this was last year. the counselor in me was like, okay you have an addiction problem, not a drug problem, not a video game problem. you just have no coping skills other than extreme avoidance. the gamer in me was like. runescape? RUNESCAPE? you plebe.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i had a substance abuse client when i was doing outpatient counseling. he just went from one substance to another pretty rapidly. heroin, cocaine, meth, ecstasy, alcohol. this kid had no stop button. it was just 140mph at all times with anything he was doing. finally got him off substances and he went right to video games. kid was like 22 and was playing runescape 20 hours a day. this was last year. the counselor in me was like, okay you have an addiction problem, not a drug problem, not a video game problem. you just have no coping skills other than extreme avoidance. the gamer in me was like. runescape? RUNESCAPE? you plebe.
just throw these bastards on a survivor island for 2months, jeezus, it's not that difficult

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

With that kind of energy he might be able to pull off a career as a Twitch streamer. Consistent streaming for long durations is how all the successful ones say they made it.

Turn that weakness into a strength.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Most people with actual addictions are in shitty situations with little to no income. Streaming requires more than just time. Dude might have been playing Runescape due to a shit tier PC. Or maybe he is one of the few Runescape streamers that are now popular and he became semi-successful in life.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Ummm, soooo...A streamer who games 20,40,60+ hours a week and makes millions just needs an intervention and therapy/meds and they'll be just fine? Good to know.