World Health Organization says we all now have a disease, Gaming Addiction

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Looking at the WHO site and the ICD-10, and how they classify stuff... this all just seems silly tbh.

First off, I'm assuming Gaming Addiciton falls under : F63 Habit and impulse disorders (http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/bluebook.pdf?ua=1)

The other categories here are:
F63.0 Pathological gambling
F63.1 Pathological fire-setting [pyromania]
F63.2 Pathological stealing [kleptomania]
F63.3 Trichotillomania
F63.8 Other habit and impulse disorders
F63.9 Habit and impulse disorder, unspecified

They could easily just put Gaming under "other", but because the industry is so big, I guess they want a new category.
But we don't see other big items like Facebook/social media addiction, Television addiction, Sports, etc etc.

Even Gambling/Fire-setting/Stealing need to be Severe: "pathological": "involving, caused by, or of the nature of a physical or mental disease. "

So technically it should be titled "Pathological gaming"

Yes I do believe there are people that have a gaming disease, but it will be very few, just like Gambling. Does it warrant a spot here?

Gambling / Fire-setting / Stealing all have larger consequences than Gaming...

At least imo.

I just think it's silly and Gaming should fall under "other" for as long as TV/Sports/Hobbies are all classified together under "Other".

In fact I think "Social Media Addiction" and/or "Smart Device/Cellphone Addiction" warrants a spot much more than Gaming.

At least in the US, the icd-10 is basically just for insurance purposes. I'm wondering if there's some funding benefits for why they would push to isolate gaming over social media/mobile use or whatever...

Either way, what's the harm from making it it's own thing? I'm genuinely asking, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol I can’t even remember the last time I gamed less than 20 hrs a week. Maybe high school?
I eagerly await my disability check

• 1Cringe
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
At least in the US, the icd-10 is basically just for insurance purposes. I'm wondering if there's some funding benefits for why they would push to isolate gaming over social media/mobile use or whatever...

Either way, what's the harm from making it it's own thing? I'm genuinely asking, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me?

I don't know the harm other than social backlash against gamers. Now people can ignorantly claim you have a "disease", while ignoring their own "diseases".

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lol I can’t even remember the last time I gamed less than 20 hrs a week. Maybe high school?
I eagerly await my disability check
If you do any hobby for 20+ hours a week you have an addiction! There must be something wrong with you why would you do something you enjoy for 3 hours a day!

Rime

<Donor>
^Games have been blamed for everything. Violence, Rape, Misogyny, now causing damage to society as a whole. Real tired of it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

It's not a big deal, just clickbait.

It applies to the Wooley's and such not most of us. Jesus Christ.

I'm sure they've got a heading for sex addicition and the like as well.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just cause I'm not up to date on shit, is social media and phone addiction considered disorders by the WHO? Cause that shit is way more intrusive and habitual then gaming.

• 2Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just cause I'm not up to date on shit, is social media and phone addiction considered disorders by the WHO? Cause that shit is way more intrusive and habitual then gaming.

I'd assume it would fall under F63, which I posted all the categories for.

CTRL+F "Social Media" = 0 results
CTRL+F "phone" = 1 result (phone sex)

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Can't wait for Pantheon - only Brad can do those old school week long camps...

download.gif

WE ARE A CHARITY - Anyone got a Sow?

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Can't wait for Pantheon - only Brad can do those old school week long camps...

Recently tried this with 14, we were pushing for Ultimate Weapon, lasted about 4 hours till I was fighting sleep rofl, guess just can't do it anymore... I find this to be a load of shit also better add social networking too it, cause that shit is 100 x worse(for a lot of people) then any game I've ever played.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh shit, I suffered through this in college. Didn’t realize I’ve overcome so much in my life. I’m my own hero.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Working in the adult mental health field, I highly doubt I'd ever come across this in an inpatient setting. It would most likely come off as depression, anxiety, or something else. There have been plenty of young guys who have come in who talk about video games constantly, but we don't treat them for that. Though I could see this diagnosed and treated in outpatient treatment, especially in teens and young adults.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Right. Gaming can be a form of self-medication in terms of coping with depression, anxiety, etc, although it is clearly far far more benign than turning to drugs or alcohol.

But 20 hours a week really isn't all that much compared to other liesure activities people partake in (browsing social media/internet, TV/passive media, reading, pretty much any other type of hobby or exercise activity).

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
OK, can they just send my disability check straight to Steam, please? Thanks!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Working more than 60 hours a week should be considered a disorder too.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
TYL: "stamp" is the Dutch verb meaning "kick".

gratis stamp, do enlist