World Health Organization says we all now have a disease, Gaming Addiction

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gaming disorder
What is gaming disorder?
Gaming disorder is defined in the draft 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) as a pattern of gaming behavior (“digital-gaming” or “video-gaming”) characterized by impaired control over gaming, increasing priority given to gaming over other activities to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other interests and daily activities, and continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences.
For gaming disorder to be diagnosed, the behaviour pattern must be of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning and would normally have been evident for at least 12 months.

Poznyak said the expectation is that the classification of gaming disorder means health professionals and systems will be more "alerted to the existence of this condition" while boosting the possibility that "people who suffer from these conditions can get appropriate help."

How to identify your mental disease
"One is that the gaming behavior takes precedence over other activities to the extent that other activities are taken to the periphery," he said.

The second feature is "impaired control of these behaviors," Poznyak said. "Even when the negative consequences occur, this behavior continues or escalates." A diagnosis of gaming disorder, then, means that a "persistent or recurrent" behavior pattern of "sufficient severity" has emerged, according to the ICD.

A third feature is that the condition leads to significant distress and impairment in personal, family, social, educational or occupational functioning, Poznyak said. The impact is real, he said, and may include "disturbed sleep patterns, like diet problems, like a deficiency in the physical activity."

da fuck
Poznyak noted that the ICD does not make "prescriptions" in terms of insurance coverage or the development of health services -- these decisions are made by national authorities -- but "prevention and treatment interventions can help people to alleviate their suffering."
Most interventions or treatments for gaming disorder are "based on the principles and methods of cognitive behavioral therapy," he said. He added that different types of support may also be provided, including "psychosocial interventions: social support, understanding of the conditions, family support."

It's something Hilarie Cash is well aware of as co-founder of reSTART, one of the first inpatient treatment programs in the United States for video game addiction. She said it's time to recognize gaming disorder as a legitimate mental health condition.

They've already begun...

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can quit any time my power source gives out.

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Have they never heard of hobbies? Growing up my Mum and Grandmother done craft stuff (knitting, sewing) and wouldn't stop for the TV or chatting or anything as they zoned out doing it.

Seems more like let's try and make lots of money out of bullshit mental health shit issues, which will only hurt genuine issues in the long run.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have they never heard of hobbies? Growing up my Mum and Grandmother done craft stuff (knitting, sewing) and wouldn't stop for the TV or chatting or anything as they zoned out doing it.

Seems more like let's try and make lots of money out of bullshit mental health shit issues, which will only hurt genuine issues in the long run.

IDK even a gym rat or bodybuilding hobbyist is only doing 7 hours to 10 hours a week. Maybe 14 at best.

20 hours seems to qualify addiction. Gamers are regularly hitting 20 hours and more.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They just keep trying to refight GG over and over..... The blue hairs are worse than civil war re enactors.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The moment they made a vegetarian their boss and declared red meat the enemy of mankind, they finally overstepped their bounds.

Rime

<Donor>
Does this mean I can get disability for my love of video games?

What about my reading for pleasure? Watching sportsball?

How about the crazy bitches who spend 24/7 on Instagram/pinterest/facebook?

Only an addiction when it negatively interacts with the rest of your life. If you cannot get/keep a job due to video games, if you abandon your family/friends for video games, if you suck dick in alleyway for video games, then it is an addiction.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So when can we go on disability for video game addiction. It will be the gamer version of food stampies. Oh man Barbie Sanders would be so proud of the free shit we get.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Does this mean I can get disability for my love of video games?

What about my reading for pleasure? Watching sportsball?

How about the crazy bitches who spend 24/7 on Instagram/pinterest/facebook?

Only an addiction when it negatively interacts with the rest of your life. If you cannot get/keep a job due to video games, if you abandon your family/friends for video games, if you suck dick in alleyway for video games, then it is an addiction.

Beat me by a min. Still I like where your head is at.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Cutting off your dick is the new normal, gaming is a severe addiction. We need to support the people in the first group, and cure the people in the 2nd group.

I never imagined the world would go to absolute shit this fast.

Considering the stupidity of the people that are involved, and their influential positions, is making me mentally ill. I hope a study is done on this topic, so the appropriate steps can be taken to remove those involved in it from any kind of public and/or influential position.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't think it's a move of the SJW, more a like a move of the pharmaceutical labs, trying to sell pills to billions of potential customers...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rime

<Donor>
Do not get me wrong, there are some people who are 100% addicted to video games, though it is often tied with another underlying mental disorder.

ANYTHING can be considered an 'addiction', it all depends on how much it disrupts with the 'standard' conceptualization of a 'normal' life.

Instead of sitting around, watching television from 5pm until 10pm every night, I play video games. So that means I am addict, but not the couch potato, right?

• 3Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Oh FFS, gaming addiction is a real thing. There are multiple criteria to qualify, with the number of hours being only one of them. It is one of the (many) psychological addictions that people can have, and is closely related to gambling addiction.

Gaming has traditionally been a relatively cheap hobby, with lots of hours of entertainment per dollar. So it was easier to dodge the "affects other parts of your life" criteria as long as you kept going to work or school, even though we all know people that played EQ or WoW so much they ended up failing out, jobless, and/or divorced.

Things have changed however. One of the major problems with gambling is that you can blow crazy amount of money in a relatively short time with nothing to show for it. So even if you don't gamble very much you can can destroy your life by not exercising some discipline and going horribly into debt, working or not. Since the mobile boom FtP games have adopted gambling mechanisms to suck every penny from their user base they possibly can, which is leading to more frequent and worse outcomes for more people. Because of our consuming habits and penchant for value, we are not that user base. This is problem affecting the general populace more so than the gamer segment.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Rime

<Donor>
Hello Valderen. How long has it been since you last 'pwned' a noob or looted something epic?

• 3Worf

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I have a feeling gamers would have trouble with that whole “Find God” step.