World of Warcraft: Classic

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yugami (I think some members of this board have played shit like dota with him) and I originally started it as co-leaders and the other founding members were our friends from a game store I used to work at. Building a competitive raiding guild was the goal from the start, so we advertised everywhere we could think of and I think we picked up several more people during beta. After that we focused on leveling quickly and snagging any unaffiliated people we encountered during the leveling process (I think we got Garudon this way, for example).

Leveling quickly is important. Some of our early MC raids had less than 40 people, but if you get a couple weeks of being the one horde guild doing real raids on Doomhammer, word gets out and you end up with plenty of applicants. There was another horde "raiding" guild that sort of declared itself king during UBRS that Yugami and I still poke fun at. The actual rival on Doomhammer was Drow and that was very back-and-forth competitive and fun.
Drow? Maybe later on, but I don't recall them getting a server first on Alliance side for anything while I played consistently (up to Naxx). Though I forget the name of the guild I was in, but we had server firsts for a few early raids (Nef at least).

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
So this is what it felt like not to have beta access to the game originally. I haven't wanted to play this game so bad in over a decade. I even gave my cheap BFA copy to my nephew, no interest in the live game.

I can screw around on an EQ TLP for a month or 3, I imagine even the current team at Blizzard can pull off a much better nostalgia experience than SOE/DBG has(n't) been capable of the past 10 years. I could easily waste my entire fall and winter on this.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Drow? Maybe later on, but I don't recall them getting a server first on Alliance side for anything while I played consistently (up to Naxx). Though I forget the name of the guild I was in, but we had server firsts for a few early raids (Nef at least).

I might have conflated two different guilds, I dunno. I have a bad memory for this stuff. Juggernaut had bad luck with Drakonid colors for several weeks in a row and somebody on alliance side killed it first. I thought it was Drow.

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
If it wasn’t Drow the only other guild that I feel would have gotten Nef before them would’ve been Scorned, but I can’t remember if they fizzled out by then or not. The other Ally guilds on Doomhammer like Rising Anarchy/Rar/Entrada/Singularity etc were always trailing behind Drow/Scorned.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
If it wasn’t Drow the only other guild that I feel would have gotten Nef before them would’ve been Scorned, but I can’t remember if they fizzled out by then or not. The other Ally guilds on Doomhammer like Rising Anarchy/Rar/Entrada/Singularity etc were always trailing behind Drow/Scorned.

Oh yeah, all those names ring a bell. My memory is bad and I might just be mistakenly attributing all noteworthy alliance accomplishments to Drow.

Cybsled

Scorned was hot for a few months during the MC/BWL era, then imploded/fell apart if memory serves. I think they got the first Rag hammer for Alliance side (Srot got it? I forget).

I remember shit all about our server firsts (could maybe check the old webpage on the internet archive), but I do recall we (Drow) were killing raid shit on the regular that other guilds Alliance side were struggling with. Adrian, then Sarah, used to make it a point to get that done and kept track.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I find it funny how everyone was screaming they couldnt make any changes game had to be how it was not even graphics should be current etc.

But no one is mentioning how different layering is going to be

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I find it funny how everyone was screaming they couldnt make any changes game had to be how it was not even graphics should be current etc.

But no one is mentioning how different layering is going to be
Cause it was a vocal minority leading the hardcore no changes crusade, now that a wider audience is posting on the classic forums all those voices are drowned out.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zhro

Scorned was hot for a few months during the MC/BWL era, then imploded/fell apart if memory serves. I think they got the first Rag hammer for Alliance side (Srot got it? I forget).

I remember shit all about our server firsts (could maybe check the old webpage on the internet archive), but I do recall we (Drow) were killing raid shit on the regular that other guilds Alliance side were struggling with. Adrian, then Sarah, used to make it a point to get that done and kept track.

Yeah it was most likely Srot as that dude was a mega loot whore.

Drow was always getting the first kills ally side from what I can remember.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
3213io.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Bleh, the internet archive didn't archive my image manips I used to do for our website updates when I was in charge of that ;(

Did find a pic from our first Nef kill, though

nefdead.jpg

• 2Like

Cybsled

Our server did have some creative people, though. Greyfoo used to make music videos back in the day

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Bleh, the internet archive didn't archive my image manips I used to do for our website updates when I was in charge of that ;(

View attachment 209304

Nothing will beat your monk's man nipples from EQ anyway. Especially when they looked like a botched breast reduction surgery with whatever the texture was that was like an overtightened harness. That shit is burned into my mind from when Tyranny pointed it out when we were working on Trakannon, and to this day I'm still not sure if I'm happy or resentful for that.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Aww snap, didn’t realize there was another BFA member on this forum, thought it was just me and Cyb.

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, it was Scorned, I was MT for our first Nef kill. The guild fizzled out in Naxx, I think. The reduction in raid size soured a lot of people, and many ended up going to Rar / Out of Mobs. That was about the time I lost interest in WoW and only played for xpacs.

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
Man, I love preach. I'm surprised how much he's enjoying the game considering he's been indifferent on it since it was even announced.

Solid video if you're bored.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I almost feel Bliz is shooting themselves in the foot with this streamer shit because pretty much everyone of them is saying the same thing. Live is a steaming pile of dogshit they hate playing and classic is fun as fuck. If that is really the message they want circulating they have done an awesome job. Going to be interesting to see 8.2 patch and classic fight it out of they release them around the same time. If they weren’t such stupid dick pirates they would release 8.2 and time any other patches to go a month or two off cycle of the 6 phases of classic to keep maximizing player interest and retention.

There was a recent article about Sopapoppin turning down some big payday promo sponsorship because it would interfere with him playing classic. Given the amount of money some of these sponsors give these guys I wouldnt be surprised if it was a six figure payday.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Anyways one of the things in that Preach video and summed up by many others and a point I have tried to make is the “hard” aspect is different. The gameplay of Classic WoW was not hard at all but the reliance on others the stiff gear checks were the hard part the game as an RPG was more about time investment over DDR twitch movement skill, or playing your UI. Many people are saying live and classic are two different games and at this point almost two different genres and they are right. The people on this board are here because they fell in love with MMORPGs, sadly even the definition of MMO has gotten tainted and distorted with retards even calling Diablo 3 an MMO. Still there is a reason people long for an EQ successor, a return to original WoW, or even a drug addict inspired Pantheon, and it isn’t for Mythic raids, or to press 382 rows of buttons. I mean fuck sakes EQ limited you to what you memorized at the time of combat. No they want to get lost in a world, explore shit, meet and make friends to play with.

The enjoyment comes from the people around you sharing experiences, which again is why making the game into something you actively want to ditch your teammates because of skill disparity is bad for this type of game. I think some skill disparity can be good but there is a point where it goes to far. People grouped with the fat 40 year old stay at home mom who neglected her kids to get her Rez stick and cast complete heal and we took her along, or that half retard who could cast haste and mez mobs. MMORPGs are meant to be inclusive at least in the open world part of the game. Where you lose people is when you make the game impossible to lose Warfronts, Islands, LFR, then it becomes participation trophy bullshit with no meaning or care to the game.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Zhro

Seeing those names brings me back to seeing everyone running around in IF and Drow chilling at the cart. It also reminds me that guilds just had certain spots they all chilled at. Singularity would chill in a line next to the bridge to the auction house.

Funny enough, even though I didn't play in Drow, I ended up raiding with Vanquisher, Fest, Oddindale in Wrath/Cata and then later played with Vikk and Spyd in Legion and BFA. Every PoE league we fire it up and play together, but I've missed the past couple leagues.