World of Warcraft: Classic

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Speaking of Ragefire Chasm, MadSeason just release a nice guide for the dungeon if anyone is interested. It has the locations for the quests and more. Many people here probably already know this info, but if not this is a good refresher. I've been saving a playlist of videos that might be helpful along the way.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wat?

All of the speed-leveling records are solo. What evidence is there to suggest dungeons provide the best xp per hour?

Because I think there will be a bazillion people all following the best path possible, which will be the same path. Can't collect 10 bear asses if there are no bears. With dungeons you have the place to you and your grp, no one else to worry about. It's not that I don't think solo quest isn't the fastest, I just don't think it will be fast with so many people doing the same walk through at the same time. If you are ahead of the pack, then yeah, maybe solo questing is the way to go, but i suspect that there are a lot of people practicing speed runs at the moment just so they can be ahead of the pack. This isn't 2005 when new servers were released and only people like Joana had bothered to map out all the quests and the best path to 60, while everyone else yapped in barrens chat. We know all the quests, we have add-ons that point us to the best leveling path, etc. After watching beta, and the race to 40 from 30, the people that seemed to get there first, and have the most fun doing it, was the people doing endless dungeon runs. Besides, I have done the solo so many times in the past, now i just want to be in a stable group doing dungeons at breakneck speed. Who can get bored of doing wailing caverns 20 times.

edit. What everyone else said.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is true. Plus the servers when WoW launched had only what? 5K peeps tops?Maybe 2K playing simultaneously? And maybe only top 10% were really RACING to the end game? These days, 15 yrs later its a different ballgame. They will probably have 10K per layer or whatever the fuck they call it now, and probably more than 20-30% of them will be racing, or at least pushing the envelope.

I tried this shit on the private server which was packed and it sucked. Literal LINES of people waiting for quest mobs to spawn, let alone the bear ass quests which were even worse. It was a total painful experience. I think I made it to lv 20 before I said fuck this shit. It made you hate everyone around you. Shit I remember a person setting up a fucking raid for one of the quest mobs in barrens.

Not to mention the mess world PVP will be int he contested zones once you leave barrens. You literally have 3x the population of any normal wow server back in the day. Now granted I love me some world PVP, but with 10K people per shart, the shit will get annoying as fuck the 10th time in a hour youre about to get ganked by some faggot alliance bubble boy and his boyfriend the rogue.

Last edited:

misery

Rumor has it that you can log in as early as possible, get into a full layer, go afk for a couple of hours and come back later to still be in the same layer. The vast majority of people will have already completed or almost completed the starter zone, because once the layer cutoff is met new players won't be coming to start on that starter zone since the layer was filled a long time ago. Maybe log in and take a nap or have some family time, then come back to a much better situation.

In practice, I'm not sure if it works or not since I can't test it. We've already seen some layering shenanigans, and this stuff is all subject to change before launch. I agree that there are many people practicing speedruns though, so getting ahead of the pack should be pretty challenging. Getting behind the pack might be a bit more desirable to some.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Autohotkey is bannable if detected (it will be detected but you get banned in waves), so the only other way to stay from being afk is to just move every 15 mins

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Getting behind the pack might be a bit more desirable to some.

Most good data exists on a bell curve. So, we can assume that "the pack" will be at the center of the curve.

However, you also have to consider that there will be people entering the game over the first few weeks, so multiple packs or curves could form.

So, even if you're at the back of the day 1 grinders, you may be in the midst of another laggard pack.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

misery

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you stay in the same layer regardless of whether you're logged out or not.

Most good data exists on a bell curve. So, we can assume that "the pack" will be at the center of the curve.

However, you also have to consider that there will be people entering the game over the first few weeks, so multiple packs or curves could form.

So, even if you're at the back of the day 1 grinders, you may be in the midst of another laggard pack.

This is true, however fresh players won't be continuously coming in to the starter areas. At least that's the theory. So those new players shouldn't be a problem for you. The ones who logged in and got into your layer should be the fastest ones who are more likely to be trying to get ahead.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Best bet, and this might be unpopular one, is probably waiting a good few days and then starting. IMO you will still catch up to the retards in the bell curve anyway because the shit they have to go through to get there. Unless you have the time to do the below...

But the ultimate way is to play the shit out of the first 48-72 hrs. and put a good head start between you and the heard. And even then im sure there will be many doing the same. Also GTFO of the stater zone ASAP. Like do your first quest or two and leave. Grind your way into the next hub. Depending on class of course. You want to put as much distance between you and the fucking horde as possible.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you stay in the same layer regardless of whether you're logged out or not.

This is true, however fresh players won't be continuously coming in to the starter areas. At least that's the theory. So those new players shouldn't be a problem for you. The ones who logged in and got into your layer should be the fastest ones who are more likely to be trying to get ahead.

After launch, I imagine first-time Classic logins, broken down by the hour/minute/days, will look similar to this long tail curve where the majority of players get their start around/after launch day.

1564593454442.png

These curves represent the rate at which players enter the game layers at launch. Is the theory that once a layer is capped a new layer begins, so you would just see multiple versions of the curve above, where the end of the tail is where a new layer begins?

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Best bet, and this might be unpopular one, is probably waiting a good few days and then starting. IMO you will still catch up to the retards in the bell curve anyway because the shit they have to go through to get there. Unless you have the time to do the below...

But the ultimate way is to play the shit out of the first 48-72 hrs. and put a good head start between you and the heard. And even then im sure there will be many doing the same. Also GTFO of the stater zone ASAP. Like do your first quest or two and leave. Grind your way into the next hub. Depending on class of course. You want to put as much distance between you and the fucking horde as possible.

IDK. I bet similar curves would form to the ones above based on character levels within a given layer over time. You may see tails to the left or right, but for the most part if Blizzard is layering from the start, there really isn't any reason to wait to login. Based on everything we know about layering, I don't see an immediate advantage to waiting.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Dont really know how the system works. But im betting most of these layers will be spawned right at launch with the initial rush of people logging on, and then more once prime time comes around for the second rush that day. And then I think that will be it for layers on a server. Pretty much all layers created in that one day.

IDK. I bet similar curves would form to the ones above based on character levels within a given layer over time. You may see tails to the left or right, but for the most part if Blizzard is layering from the start, there really isn't any reason to wait to login. Based on everything we know about layering, I don't see an immediate advantage to waiting.

You just want to stay away from the peak of that curve. Either to the left or to the right. Now Im thinking unless your a poopsocker, its gonna be hard to stay to the right. So it might be easier to be in the tail, all I was saying. I think each layer will have one major peak, the small ones you dont give a shit about after the initial push.

misery

Is the theory that once a layer is capped a new layer begins, so you would just see multiple versions of the curve above, where the end of the tail is where a new layer begins?

That's the theory, but again I don't have any idea whether this will be viable at launch in any way. Also, it's true that you will eventually run into the slower players, but they should ideally be much more spread apart at that point since the world opens up beyond the starting areas. I'm just throwing some ideas around though. I've seen people phase into new layers for seemingly no reason, but the majority or all of them were in a group. So if Blizzard changes their layering system, or if the player joins a group with a member not in their same layer there could be issues. I think Blizzard was made aware of how insane the starter areas were during the last stress test, so they could very well have some fixes in place that make all of this unneeded. They could also add dynamic spawns or even just sharding to the starting areas which would change things dramatically.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Dont really know how the system works. But im betting most of these layers will be spawned right at launch with the initial rush of people logging on, and then more once prime time comes around for the second rush that day. And then I think that will be it for layers on a server. Pretty much all layers created in that one day.

But players can invite people into their group from other layers, so it doesn't make since that there will be a finite number of layers. From what people have previously posted, the layers depend on how many people are simultaneously logged in and may or may not be persistent.

If they had finite layers, consider the possibility that 25% of players from layer A invite 25% of the players from layer B simultaneously, they could overburden (potentially break?) a layer.

Due to scenarios like this, I'm thinking layers are dynamic and will change over time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If they are indeed dynamic then this should be more smooth experience then. Most people will be bunched up in the 1-30 shit anyway. From history of mmorpgs and how populations are on any given server, its like the opposite of that bell curve picture when levels 1-59 are concerned. Youre also going to see people quitting or losing interest well before they hit the lv30 mark.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

misery

This is how I've understood it. The numbers are just for example, I have no clue how many will be on each layer.
Players 1-1,000 log in and are assigned "permanently" to layer 01. At least until layer is removed in Phase 02.
Players 1,001-2001 log in and are assigned "permanently" to layer 02. Etc. Until the player pool has slowed down and there's the final layer which will likely have people joining from then until the end of Phase 01.
Player 55 logs out for the day. The next day when he logs in he's still in layer 01. His friend is in layer 02. He invites his friend to a group and his friend is temporarily transported to layer 01 until the group is dissolved. If the friend in layer 02 invites player 55 to his group instead, player 55 will be transported to layer 02 until the group is dissolved. From what I can gather, the returning to original layers seems to happen when certain phasing "lines" are crossed in the world. This is why you have weird layering issues. At least that's my theory.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is how I've understood it. The numbers are just for example, I have no clue how many will be on each layer.
Players 1-1,000 log in and are assigned "permanently" to layer 01. At least until layer is removed in Phase 02.
Players 1,001-2001 log in and are assigned "permanently" to layer 02. Etc. Until the player pool has slowed down and there's the final layer which will likely have people joining from then until the end of Phase 01.
Player 55 logs out for the day. The next day when he logs in he's still in layer 01. His friend is in layer 02. He invites his friend to a group and his friend is temporarily transported to layer 01 until the group is dissolved. If the friend in layer 02 invites player 55 to his group instead, player 55 will be transported to layer 02 until the group is dissolved. From what I can gather, the returning to original layers seems to happen when certain phasing "lines" are crossed in the world. This is why you have weird layering issues. At least that's my theory.

Yeah this is how I understood it as well. Btu who the fuck knows what they are doing. Needless to say it could be a fucking mess.

And also, WTF are they gonna do in pahse 2 when a server still has 10K lv 60s logging on every night? You know there will be a popular server like that out there, right? ITs gonna be a fucking nighmare when they merge all those layers, or will they just keep them as layers at that point?

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Watching beta videos of people on classic when they cross the layer/phase line getting dropped from griffon rides are funny. I fully expect this to not be resolved for release.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users