World of Warcraft: Classic

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I want to complete the raids this time for sure, but I'm just as excited for the PvP as well. I was one of the people doing a lot of world PvP (I actually transferred off of a PvE server to do more of it), then I spammed BGs when they came out. I was bored at points, but overall it was a lot of fun for me. One factor is that I have a new perspective on the game as a whole. I have a better idea of what games (including future WoW content) did wrong after it, and what vanilla did right. When I played vanilla back in the day I never really gave it a lot of thought. I didn't pay much attention to the world, I didn't get into the raiding scene until around when TBC came out and a lot of the content was already trivial. Karazhan was the first raid I completed. I might have blown through some of the earlier content when I was overgeared for it, I don't remember. Before that I did a lot of the the non-raid content including rep grinds. Doing the raids when they're relevant has some weight in my consideration, but it's not the only factor at all.

When I PvP'd I spent a lot of time on my druid, but I enjoyed most of the other classes, and I plan on focusing more on them this time. A lot of my excitement also likely comes from the fact that I never played private servers and haven't played WoW since Wrath. Barely anyone knew anything for the first few months. You couldn't just go onto YouTube and watch a video explaining everything. So I just played and had fun, but I missed a lot of the content. Then there's the FoH guild. We already have a nice community ready for launch. I've struggled to find good communities in various games before, including FFXIV.

I'm mostly excited to go back to a time when games focused more on the community building aspect, and I want to enjoy a MMORPG that gives me that experience again. It's not perfect, but Classic does a lot of things right. I want the chaos of world PvP and I want to play some BGs. I plan to do the stuff I haven't done before and to redo the things I have. Classic provides these experiences. Everything else like doing the raids is just icing on the cake.

(Also I have a hell of a lot more time right now.)

All of this makes sense, there's a lot of new stuff for you to see in Classic, and the one real draw it still has for me is the community that you had to build on each of your servers back then (and in prior MMO's like EQ). For me, though, that community was heavily influenced by those people I raided with back in the day. I don't think I could find a more perfect group of people to raid with than what we had back then, and not only did we clear all the content, there's just no way that same group would ever be able to all get the band back together...so it just wouldn't be the same for me. I'll enjoy watching streams of people trying out some of the stuff they never did back then, though, and remember the good old days. Nowadays I'm more about the story and different forms of content, so FFXIV works perfectly for me. Lets me scratch that itch, without having to be too involved with a guild/FC/corp (pick your MMO version) but I can still do a ton.

It will be interesting to see if Classic sustains popularity and people playing it...to the point they consider releasing TBC content again, or try to adapt some of the philosophies they went away from in later years to future stuff (not necessarily just the Classic servers). Another weird thought is that it won't exactly be like Vanilla, b/c you're already starting with 1.12. Obviously they fixed a lot of crap over the lifespan of Vanilla, but some of the early flaws were part of its charm, and helped make the memories from back then. Enjoy what it has to offer, and we'll all see where it goes, though!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All of this makes sense, there's a lot of new stuff for you to see in Classic, and the one real draw it still has for me is the community that you had to build on each of your servers back then (and in prior MMO's like EQ). For me, though, that community was heavily influenced by those people I raided with back in the day. I don't think I could find a more perfect group of people to raid with than what we had back then, and not only did we clear all the content, there's just no way that same group would ever be able to all get the band back together...so it just wouldn't be the same for me. I'll enjoy watching streams of people trying out some of the stuff they never did back then, though, and remember the good old days. Nowadays I'm more about the story and different forms of content, so FFXIV works perfectly for me. Lets me scratch that itch, without having to be too involved with a guild/FC/corp (pick your MMO version) but I can still do a ton.

It will be interesting to see if Classic sustains popularity and people playing it...to the point they consider releasing TBC content again, or try to adapt some of the philosophies they went away from in later years to future stuff (not necessarily just the Classic servers). Another weird thought is that it won't exactly be like Vanilla, b/c you're already starting with 1.12. Obviously they fixed a lot of crap over the lifespan of Vanilla, but some of the early flaws were part of its charm, and helped make the memories from back then. Enjoy what it has to offer, and we'll all see where it goes, though!

Completely agree. I didn't have much of a guild back in the old days. I think I just signed a random roster and stayed on for a while. I played it mainly solo minded for most of my time. FFXIV story works pretty well for me as well. I had a lot of fun playing though the content and doing the story, but story alone doesn't sustain a game for me because when I'm focused on something I usually complete it in fairly short order. A new expansion for me is worth about 2 solid weeks. Content drip doesn't bring me back until there's a healthy sized puddle. A community based game with various PvP encounters, different classes that matter, gear that matters, etc will keep me busy for a long time. At least that's the plan. I played a couple of classes to 15 on the stress test and didn't feel the grind at all. At the end of the day though it's 15 bucks for a shot at having some awesome times. Pretty hard to find a deal like that anywhere these days.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The community aspect of this wont be like the past though. Youre talking probably 30K peeps per FULL server. So even if some quit, and im sure they will this wont be some 5K server during peak times where you get to know every tom dick and sally, and add to this the whole layer cakes, this will be a mess of random people. In other words the only ones you will get to know is the ones in your guild.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I expect we'll see TBC as it gives them additional content to release between expansions. Next summer we'll get a new retail expansion and then the summer after that TBC then a retail than WotLK etc etc. Then after the trilogy is expended they can look at doing an alternate timeline.

Have no fears they've got stories for years.

misery

The community aspect of this wont be like the past though. Youre talking probably 30K peeps per FULL server. So even if some quit, and im sure they will this wont be some 5K server during peak times where you get to know every tom dick and sally, and add to this the whole layer cakes, this will be a mess of random people. In other words the only ones you will get to know is the ones in your guild.

I agree with you, but I have a couple of things to add. We have a community here already, and we're going to be a community in game as well. The game as a whole, while the population is changed as you said, promotes community building with its own gameplay elements. For instance, you're leveling and you're having a hard time with the orc encampment in Redridge. You see a warrior who is struggling with the quest too, and you invite him to your party. The game facilitated that by not making the content incredibly easy to solo. You fight together to complete the quests and 10 minutes later you find out that you enjoy eachother's pressence so you add them to your friends list and visa versa. That might be a weak example, but I'm sure you get the point. Then you have the requirement to seek out people with certain professions, reliance on your own faction out in the world, and more. These are the community aspects I was touching on.

With layering and a massive community we will likely lose the "Oh hey, it's Bob the Orc again!" aspect of seeing Bob around all the time, but when layering is removed the problem should be mostly resolved. Unless you think private servers with 10k players on them didn't have communities, and from what I've seen that isn't correct. There are some people who very emotional about their communities and the ties they made in private servers.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but is there an "unofficial" FoH Alliance guild for those of us that have no desire to play Horde?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but is there an "unofficial" FoH Alliance guild for those of us that have no desire to play Horde?

There isn't but there's a few people that are going Alliance Whitemane (like xzi xzi ) and a bunch of people that are going with their own long term cliques/guilds elsewhere. Right now there's just a lot up in the air but once they settle I'd think you could find a pocket of FoH related folks on Alliance somewhere.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Is Whitemane expected to be massively horde populated vs alliance (in general, not just foh guys)? I'm not a huge fan of 5:1 server populations in any open world pvp type situation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

misery

From most data Whitemane appears to be pretty even with a slightly higher Horde community, which is pretty normal for PvP servers. The PvE servers are mostly Alliance dominant. I really like the (estimated) faction ratio on Whitemane though.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Is Whitemane expected to be massively horde populated vs alliance (in general, not just foh guys)? I'm not a huge fan of 5:1 server populations in any open world pvp type situation.

It's the unofficial 4chan/8chan server. There's going to be a substantial Alliance population from it so they can jihad the mud races.

Not joking.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I think people are still underestimating the demand for Classic and it's hard to imagine 50% of the people interested in this right now are suddenly going to change their minds. It's not like most of us haven't played this game before, we mostly all know what we're getting into already.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think people are still underestimating the demand for Classic and it's hard to imagine 50% of the people interested in this right now are suddenly going to change their minds. It's not like most of us haven't played this game before, we mostly all know what we're getting into already.

I can see 50% of intial accounts that play first week quitting within a month. Even people that have reserved names. People will just realize they dont have the time or desire once they are into a little. Also people quit as those they came to the game for(either friends, former friends, streamers etc) lose interest. Pretty normal for any game release, even those that grow overall in population over time.

• 2Like