World of Warcraft: Classic

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Listening to the loudest autists on the forums
I think Blizzard (here: the management) really underestimated the demand, and that there would be a need to manage the community and their expectations. Except for technical people (who saw this as an interesting challenge) did Classic even have a game director/producer at the beginning? Now with Holly which they just hired they have, but this should have happened a lot sooner.

Alas, technical people are used to be abused by people shouting their demands at them.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
if they didnt listen to the loudest autists on the forums already, hiring holly windstalker from EQ TLP failbreak games will ensure that

lost

<Bronze Donator>

our guilds lethon kill, only guild on server that could kill him lol. he was up until friday night

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
if they didnt listen to the loudest autists on the forums already, hiring holly windstalker from EQ TLP failbreak games will ensure that

So when Daybreak launched the first new progression server in years, Ragefire, they let people vote on the forums for the rule set. The server ended up with six-month unlock timers per expansion with the timer starting when an expansion is cleared PLUS the need to pass a vote to unlock the next. People freaked out. They wanted longer unlock timers. The server was so packed they had to launch a sister server, Lockjaw.

And then the reality of six month unlock timers sat in. They changed them on Ragefire to three months. Lockjaw kept six months and was a single guild private server one month in to Kunark. Daybreak has never had a forum poll to set TLP rules since. The people that actually use a game's forums are a tiny minority of the playerbase and the heavy heavy users are a tiny minority within that tiny minority. They can all get fucked.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
yeah i was there on ragefire. like when they forced a rotation of raidzones on guilds then one guild broke it, got suspended for 6 hours and got it reversed and then they said t hey couldnt enforce the rotation.

or like when they said phinigel was free of macroquest and i had the first day of phinigel all the way until i quit in mangler.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
It's funny because from what I gather Old School Runescape has a pretty good voting/polling system to get feedback from the players on what features they want and don't want to get added into the game. I think the big problem EQ's TLP voting faced was that a large chunk of the voters are people that hadn't played the game in 5-10+ years and didn't really grasp the full picture. Though, the people running the show often show they also don't really grasp it either so it doesn't really seem to make anything that much better. EQ has also implemented polling through really fucked up practices though, I believe Quarm was the result of an in-game poll that would pop up immediately on all servers when players would login, if they closed the window it would just default vote for a choice and that one ended up being the winner (this recollection may not be completely accurate).

I'm still betting on new WoW "progression" type servers to release 2021, which I hope have a shorter timetable for update releases than what we've seen so far.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

our guilds lethon kill, only guild on server that could kill him lol. he was up until friday night

I am torn on one hand I am jealous you get to kill these things uncontested, on the other side it isn’t as impressive as watching 72,000 people flood the zones from both factions in a wild frenzy like on Whitemane that turns any outdoor boss into a multi hour long PPV westlemania type event with cross faction collusion and utter bullshit the likes that have never been witnessed before.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I guess it’s because I’ve never made a raid kill video before but does the software everyone uses automatically add the shitty techno soundtrack and you have to pay extra to remove it? I assume it’s the same with pvp videos and the 2001 nu-metal songs they all have in them, correct?

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

lost

<Bronze Donator>
oh the day it came out we had like 7 raids there. that video was technically the second lethon that spawned, the first one was gotten to 25% by two different guild raids working together (ours and the other top horde guild), we wiped at 25%, followed by a pug that got him to 15% and wiped, another pug that finished him off. after that people followed us to the second lethon and waited to snipe it again, so we waited, watched guild raids fail over and over, until everyone gave up. then came back the next day uncontested yeah.

it was nuts the first day cause you had so many raids feeding shades to lethon or pulling aggro breathing everyone which is why we wiped on the first lethon, its so heal intensive. also i didnt make that video, my mage mindtickle is in the video tho.

alliance came by too they would surprise swoop in and wipe us but they never had more than one guild there to push horde out

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even back in 2005 we always assumed Lethon would take 250% to kill due to the rest of the server (25%, heal to full, 50%, heal to full, 75%, heal to full, 100%)

Having quadrant baiters and tanks that could 180 him to limit shadowbolt damage was a must.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
yeah we had 3 tanks to help taunt move him, extra one incase one died, we were able to only get like 20% of healing on most phases

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, but at the same time the playerbase was rabid with "#nochanges", so I can't blame them. They tried to do what they thought the players who are going to play classic long term wanted, and were not just nostalgia tourists. Turns out there are a lot more former than the latter.

Could you imagine the tears of all those autists when they would start to fix stuff, like pathing issues in dungeons and increase the black lotus spawn points? For a really good LOL they should randomize black lotus spawn points each week.

Black lotus should be a rare on any existing herb spot in 60 zones.

• 3Like

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
That was one thing (amongst many others) that TBC vastly improved.

I’m still sitting on half of my lotus stockpile from the server launch, and since my raid no longer has a shadow priest or a third lock for CoS I don’t bother flasking and trying to improve on any parses at this point. Should have more than enough for AQ and Naxx so I’m debating selling a stack or so now in case Blizz actually does change their spawn mechanic somehow. It seems unlikely to me though.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Will someone tag me, or let me know when Whitemane starts accepting characters again, or.. as I saw in discord, the guild moves to a less populated server. Thanks

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
With the layering being added the queue has dropped to zero so no plans to move, not even sure if free transfers are still available after that change, but I am happy to let you know when new character creation is open if you want to play, in the same vein if anyone wants to tag along with the guild it has gotten to the point that with ZG and the rest being out we are working on running 3 different raid groups through content with our main time still being tues-thur prime time but we also have a weekend alt/casual run and probably soon to be a mini van Noodlesque time run as well. Then pepper in ZG's at all hours so even the most casual of you guys could have something to do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
With the layering being added the queue has dropped to zero so no plans to move, not even sure if free transfers are still available after that change, but I am happy to let you know when new character creation is open if you want to play, in the same vein if anyone wants to tag along with the guild it has gotten to the point that with ZG and the rest being out we are working on running 3 different raid groups through content with our main time still being tues-thur prime time but we also have a weekend alt/casual run and probably soon to be a mini van Noodlesque time run as well. Then pepper in ZG's at all hours so even the most casual of you guys could have something to do.

It's me

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
We've got about 5-6 serious horde guilds and probably 4x as many alliance. We went to Felwood launch day and traded attempts with an alliance guild on Lethon until we killed on our third attempt. Then Emiriss spawned, and alliance pulled first and wiped. Then we pulled, got him to 15% and wiped due to a couple of dumb errors and alliance sniped. The nerd rage was palpable.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Man seeing all you guys bitching about the management of the game now I shouldve posted during the beta run when it was absolutely clear they only had 5 people working on this and of those 5, only two actually cared (the Omar guy and there was one other, cant remember his name)

Sad thing is the game was actually fun then because at the 30 and 40 caps it was at least somewhat different than the past and not meta-gamed out from a decade of pservers

Also about the "no changes" crew you have to realize at the time absolutely no one trusted blizzard to do anything, I think this all changed fast once they saw what a shitshow leveling was with the group dungeon grind and everything else getting found out 2 seconds after it was discovered. I think most of those people have backtracked by now but even if they hadnt been influential it wouldnt have mattered because blizzard wouldnt have put in any resources required to change anything. It took them like 2 months to fix the AV pvp zerg when everyone knew that was going to be an issue from day 1

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'd still like to see dual spec in classic . Even if one is only active in BGs.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
the Omar guy
To this day it is my belief that everyone--me, you, Blizzard and even Bobby Kotick--couldn't thank Omar Gonzalez enough for his work on Classic. Not only is he is singlehandedly responsible for creating the Classic prototype in the Legion client that basically greenlit the project, but also making the people interested in Classic get the feeling that at least someone at Blizzard still cares. This man is responsible for at least half a million subs.

The other guy you meant is probably John Hight.

• 3Like