World of Warcraft: Classic

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Me and my wife actually had this conversation a few days ago and it brought up an interesting question. Would the social aspect of EQ be as successful as it was if something like Discord existed back then? Part of the allure of 'chatting' between pulls was the anonymous nature of it, where you were only typing in a chat box and the immersion was thus still intact. I wonder if that's gets broken once you introduce voice chat into the equation.
Interesting theory, I just dont think it holds water. We used some type of VOIP way back in classic. It only let like... 5? people talk between themselves, but Im sure that was enough to keep us from wiping every now and then. Between whatever that was called, AIM and ICQ - the difference in the games social aspect then compared to todays Discord is only so much. Never mind that P99 servers and TLP servers have a very active, strong social aspect that is still present to this very day.

MMO's bounce deep character advancement off of Social aspects and the two together work in tandem to keep the wheel turning. The sooner devs realize that what separated WoW from EQ was that WoW disguised its character investment much better than EQ, the better. Never mind that WoW ended up slitting its own throat in favor of turning the game into a lobby based esport.

Seriously, MMO devs need to realize that Rick is more fun than Morty.
69d75dc9e91e53d398e7fff191ad76c8.jpg

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Wouldnt network code be the same across the game? Just to reiterate why I have this suspicion - Dragon Riding/Flight in the Dragonflight expansion has ZERO pop in at 930%. This is just my theory based off the evidence that Ive seen - so it could very well be something else. But this just seems the most logical to me.
Yes and no. They may have overhauled the network code specifically for 930% speed.

At the same time the server used to despawn entire camps in old zones when no player was nearby, and when you actually go to certain camps the whole camp population just plops up from a central spawn point. 930% flight speed may have broken this on old zones. I don't know if this is still the case, but if it is I could probably make a video to demonstrate this.

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
Is anyone playing on the fresh wotlk realms? that are releasing soonish?

Falstaff Falstaff Daezuel Daezuel Szeth Szeth BoozeCube BoozeCube Guttermouth Guttermouth

I’m assuming Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule and a bunch others are permanently no from some other interactions.

Also not looking to get married here or anything so don’t flame me! just trying to see if there’s any foh interest on any specific server

I was hoping to be all that I could be down here in Florida, but god just might want me to be a nobody forever so figured I’d ask about wrath

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
Is anyone playing on the fresh wotlk realms? that are releasing soonish?

Falstaff Falstaff Daezuel Daezuel Szeth Szeth BoozeCube BoozeCube Guttermouth Guttermouth

I’m assuming Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule and a bunch others are permanently no from some other interactions.

Also not looking to get married here or anything so don’t flame me! just trying to see if there’s any foh interest on any specific server

I was hoping to be all that I could be down here in Florida, but god just might want me to be a nobody forever so figured I’d ask about wrath
Im gona roll up a Pally , but like every time I try to get into raiding its gona be a struggle to find a guild that is competent and raids on my times Fri/sat nights

Growing up and working real adult hours sucks , dont do it

• 1Like

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
Im gona roll up a Pally , but like every time I try to get into raiding its gona be a struggle to find a guild that is competent and raids on my times Fri/sat nights

Growing up and working real adult hours sucks , dont do it

you might want to roll on benediction now for this issue instead of a new server.

the server is fucking giant. Starting on an already established server will have its drawbacks of course but you’ll have no problem finding a raiding guild for your times. The server has just a ridiculous amount of guilds.

just a thought.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been tossing back and forth whether to roll on an established server and going the fresh start route.

There were 2 main points brought up on the wow forums about fresh start (1: All the people that are looking at fresh start as attractive are people who have quit playing in previous expansions and I dub them the "quitters" so that behavior is most likely going to be the norm for the majority of the server.
(2: There is no guarantee you will pick the "right" faction for the server, even if the server is successful and manages to survive past allowing transfers off, you might still be alone.

With these things in mind, also with the added benefit that I can start playing now, instead of waiting another 2 weeks to start leveling. I decided to just roll on benediction (us east pvp) with a heavy, heavy alliance population.

The Ilvl for sunwell gear is 167 at best, heroic dungeon wotlk gear is ilvl 200. The gear benefit or disparity doesn't even exist when it comes to wotlk launching. It's just simply a no brainer for me to play on a server that I can guarantee to play on a healthy faction and guarantee after the rose tinted glasses falls off or the next new hot thing comes around, you still have a healthy population to play with.

1660686141812.png

Behold, the black mage.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
To add, there is a fuckload of people doing exactly what I'm doing right now in goldshire, I think you'll be able to have that "fresh" start leveling/grouping experience right now with so many people leveling.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Grobb is better due to server balance and also has a massive raiding population. PVP servers with heavy Ally/Horde pops are lame.

Pre-patch Aug 30th.

yay.PNG

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Only reason I would do anything on Whitemane is because I still have 300k-ish gold from early in Burning Crusade but by now with all the GDKP shit it is probably worthless.

Still fuck Blizzard.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I have a fuck ton of gold on whitemane still. I should have sold it.

Like I said earlier if I played again it would be to start over PVP servers are absolute degenerate dogshit cesspools. Unfortunately Jasker Jasker I just don’t see wanting to play this again.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have a fuck ton of gold on whitemane still. I should have sold it.

Like I said earlier if I played again it would be to start over PVP servers are absolute degenerate dogshit cesspools. Unfortunately Jasker Jasker I just don’t see wanting to play this again.

Grobbulus (RP-PVP)

They are allowing race/class/sex changes in WOTLK too.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So if you roll up a fresh you just level like nuts from vanilla?. I’d want to play a DK or Paladin. I forget did the first patch have dual spec? Not that it matters. Tanks were pretty solid in wrath at the start.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So if you roll up a fresh you just level like nuts from vanilla?. I’d want to play a DK or Paladin. I forget did the first patch have dual spec? Not that it matters. Tanks were pretty solid in wrath at the start.

1660694278929.png

So just enter the game on a fresh server at 55 and start wrecking up the joint?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sadly no - it states in the fresh start stuff that you have to level to 55 on the server before you can make a DK.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wow. That might get me to play….be a dime a dozen though like that.

There's worse things to have than a SK surplus. I'd think all of the fresh start servers are going to skew that direction pretty hard at the open. Even if you wanted to play something else why not make a DK first and farm a little gold?

Sadly no - it states in the fresh start stuff that you have to level to 55 on the server before you can make a DK.

Aw.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There's worse things to have than a SK surplus. I'd think all of the fresh start servers are going to skew that direction pretty hard at the open. Even if you wanted to play something else why not make a DK first and farm a little gold?

Aw.
I'd be tempted to do a paladin but i remember that being awful to level even at that point so probably warlock.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't gotten into the rush for either Vanilla or TBC - I feel those are both vastly inferior experiences to Wrath so I didn't jump back in (did both on live, endgame raiding, yada yada).

Definitely doing the fresh start thing - Wrath is my favorite WoW expansion by quite a bit and I am way more interested in it than I am the actual new expansion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users