World of Warcraft: Classic

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It also has seasons and even fish/monsters/items that only appear during those seasons.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It also has seasons and even fish/monsters/items that only appear during those seasons.

When you say seasons, I'm thinking Elwynn Forest covered in snow, followed by spring with half the NPCs sneezing every 10 seconds, followed by what it looked like 15 years ago, followed by too much brown autumn with leaves falling.

They have that now?

Cybsled

Sure it is hard, or rather, it’s expensive. In modern mmos you’d have to do a lot more than replace grass texture with snow texture.bmp. You’re talking massive art asset revamps to make it not look like trash.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Most RPG's don't do seasons. Rain, snow, are definitely in the game. Just need to be in the right zone. It's not gonna rain in the Badlands. Snows all the time in Winterspring and Northrend. Night time can be really annoying in the new areas where it can get too dark (but not as obnoxiously dark as The Division 2, even with brightness turned up you can't see shiiiiit at night).

They wouldn't have to completely change art assets to make seasons work. Just a transition between current texture and pull that seasonal texture from the other areas. Might not mesh up perfectly, and implementing it in the current wow code would probably suck balls for developers, but they've been enhancing the engine on nearly every expac so who knows... Water, mists, lightning, fire, smoke, fog, poison... Compare that shit to the textured water surface of vanilla wow and short animated flat texture fires, no lightning, no mist, no smoke, no fog. And trees. Holy shit has the quality of trees ramped up, too. It's so glaring when you fly through darkshore or unguro compared to zandalar.

I really don't understand why they don't refresh old content and out new quests in it. There's so much of the world everyone hasn't spent time in unless they're veterans, and even still, I wouldn't mind tracking assholes down old areas. Like they're doing with Darkshore and Hinterlands, but on a much more expansive scale, as in, fill some old zone with as much content as they out into Broken Shore...as long as it doesn't replace new areas entirely, but if you made an old area look fresh and new, I wouldn't give a fuck if I was doing quests in an area I'd been 100 times before if it looked completely refreshed or changed based on the current world environment/story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Problem with seasons in wow is that it breaks their environment "motifs"... Imagine it snowing everywhere because it's winter, so every environment except tropical is snowy.... Not the best for leveling, but fuck leveling. It'd be cool if that went into place at max level, and bonus world quests popped up everywhere depending on the season. Rewards could even be generic, or give seasonal based tokens like time walking or some shit.

• 1Like

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
They revamped most of vanilla during Cata. No one gave a shit.

giphy (9).gif

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
People who level a bunch of characters gave a shit. New players gave a shit. Also being able to fly in the old world was a huge plus. The problem with revamping was that it was tied entirely to the original 1-60 leveling experience, and had fuck all to do with endgame, which is where 98% of the player base is concentrated. Having zero influence on endgame, other than cosmetic aspect relating to Deathwing (who, on a side note, could have been handled 100x better - no one wants to fight slimes or tentacles when the boss is a fucking huge, lore heavy dragon), meant it was a ton of wasted dev effort if it, just like it was originally, goes mostly deserted because there are no players utilizing the regions...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I haven’t noticed that wow had a day/night cycle or “weather” since 2004.

In EQ you sure as shit knew when it was raining or when it turned night.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I haven’t noticed that wow had a day/night cycle or “weather” since 2004.

In EQ you sure as shit knew when it was raining or when it turned night.

Exactly, the world in EQ felt more alive, hell WoW vanilla felt more alive, now it’s just an amusement park.

• 1Like

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
When I logged into EQ for the first time in 1999, I was an erudite wizard and it happened to be night time. I fell to my death five minutes after making the character because I couldn’t see shit, thought the game was dumb, and quit until some friends started playing it 6 months later.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Something that's bothered me for ages, does anyone else that played closed beta remember the original planned entrance to BFD being in those ruins in northern Darkshore? I don't recall ever doing the instance, or if that instance was even available. I remember the layout of those ruins being different compared to live, and all the underground stuff just got moved to the south and they threw a couple ruined buildings on the beach.

Just one of those memories I don't know if I'm getting mixed up with something else. There were other little changes like that I vaguely remember too, but have no way to confirm. I also remember being an autist, and spending hours just to see if I could swim around Kalimdor, and giving up when something killed me in Azshara(sp) Was pretty impressive to me at the time being able to seamlessly swim zone to zone like that.