World of Warcraft: Classic

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Something that's bothered me for ages, does anyone else that played closed beta remember the original planned entrance to BFD being in those ruins in northern Darkshore?
Yes. I was in the Beta and it was changed in Patch 1.1.0:
"More quests added to Blackfathom Deeps. Blackfathom has been moved to Ashenvale and now has Horde quests."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Rather than a carbon copy of Vanilla WoW, if I was running blizz, here's what I'd do for 'classic'.

Release a server that is the combination of Vanilla to WOTLK.
Level cap is 80, with WOTLK talents and zones and everything.
Redo all the raids so instead of 3 tiers of progression, you progress in raids once you reach level cap in the vanilla to WOTLK raid progression.
IE:
Molten core + Onyxia
Blackwing Lair + Zul Gurub
Ahn Qiraj + AQ20
Naxxramas
Kharazan + Magtheridon + Gruul
Coilfang + Tempest Keep
Hyjal + Black Temple
Sunwell
Eye of Eternity + Obsidian Sanctum + Archavon + Ruby Sanctum
Ulduar
Trial of the Crusader
Icecrown Citadel

Keep them all 40 man, with 20 man for the smaller zones like ZG and AQ20.
Gear and raid progression all of the way up, with slightly bigger jumps between expacs. If you didn't beat and then farm up the previous tiers, next tiers will be nigh impossible.
Keep a 1 week raid instance reset, but double the amount of gear that used to drop in WoW Vanilla raids for 40 mans.
For non raid dungeons, leave them at the levels and zones they were in originally.
Don't phase any of it. Just release it all intact and see who can get there first.

This would take a fair bit of rebalancing numbers and mechanics and such, but how awesome would all of that be? Which guild could be first to beat the Lich King in this new format? Who could handle the grind of leveling to 80 via northrend, then heading back to the old world to take on all the old raids that are now level 80 and progress all the way up the chain to finally take on Blizzard's most iconic bad guy?

Nostalgia hit + new concept would be $$$

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like a hard core recipe for shit lords. Maybe if I was still in highschool?

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
Sounds like a hard core recipe for shit lords. Maybe if I was still in highschool?

Oh for sure! Think of all the guild drama, guild implosions at tier 9, poaching members, main tanks doing prima donna tank stuff, and all the rest!

It would be like cramming 5 years and 3 expacs worth of wow drama into one concentrated ingot of pure diamond-hard autism. It would be utterly, utterly magnificent.

Benicio-Del-Toro-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-1437439498.gif

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If they could properly scale gear across that many raids at a singular stat base (level 80), and make each tier hard enough to require previous tier gear...jesus christ... though I know it'd end up just like Torment 7,8,9, where no one fuckin' goes to those and we end up with a game where you just get carried through ICC unless they put in ilvl restrictions, which are super effective *insert eye roll*

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Project Titan was going to be their WoW replacement but it was scraped in production. It’s corpse was salvaged to make OW. They will just keep updating WoW until the sun implodes and kills us all.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
If they could properly scale gear across that many raids at a singular stat base (level 80), and make each tier hard enough to require previous tier gear...jesus christ... though I know it'd end up just like Torment 7,8,9, where no one fuckin' goes to those and we end up with a game where you just get carried through ICC unless they put in ilvl restrictions, which are super effective *insert eye roll*

That reminds me you know the ilvl from level 60 dungeons through the end of Naxx went from like ilvl 60 to at the very end ilvl 90 across the whole fucking expansion. Dungeon - MC/Ony/AQ20 - BWL/AQ20 - AQ40 - Naxx so across 5 tiers of raiding content ilvls went from 60-90 across the whole goddamn game.. Now with morons like Ion you go through that ilvl gap in one goddamn instance.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do people actually want to poop-sock this time around? I sure as hell don't. I'm looking forward to a fairly casual experience getting to 60, including trade skills and pvp and then not killing myself, my career, or relationships trying to raid all the time.

• 3Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That reminds me you know the ilvl from level 60 dungeons through the end of Naxx went from like ilvl 60 to at the very end ilvl 90 across the whole fucking expansion. Dungeon - MC/Ony/AQ20 - BWL/AQ20 - AQ40 - Naxx so across 5 tiers of raiding content ilvls went from 60-90 across the whole goddamn game.. Now with morons like Ion you go through that ilvl gap in one goddamn instance.
Makes me laugh at the irony of removing flat % stats for "rating" when having over 100% could work like Diablo or some shit... 101% crit? You have a 1% chance for a super crit! 200% crit is all super crits, 201% has a 1% chance to do triple damage. There's no reason those stats couldn't be limitless, and you adjust the scaling of mob/boss stats to counter accordingly. Or just add crit damage as a stat... You literally don't need levels other than to delay and force players to figure out the base game (see The Division).

Lightning Fast
That's all true, but who cares! The first few guilds get all the glory of getting there first, which is the point.

Maybe add some mechanic to nuke anyone raid wide without sufficient stamina, or maybe add some new stat to facilitate it, doesn't really matter since you're not really beholden to staying true to the original.

And for casuals, the main difference would be raiding, the rest is basically the same as WOTLK, the best one IMO.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
That reminds me you know the ilvl from level 60 dungeons through the end of Naxx went from like ilvl 60 to at the very end ilvl 90 across the whole fucking expansion.
Realistically it played out as 3 tiers, which in WoW itemization is always visible as item sets. MC was T1, BWL T2, AQ40 as T2.5 with mainly itemization for offspecs, weapons and trinkets, and finally T3 with Naxx.

The item level thing is just the curse of the exponential growth. When you go from item level 60 to 90 you have an increase of 50% in stat allocation. To have the same relative increase when your base item level is 600 you end up with item level 900. And that was what we hit in Legion, with legendary items at 1000.

But you need that increase in player power to successfully segregate players who farmed the previous tier from the newbies and scrubs, or else everyone with blue dungeon gear would just start raiding Naxx directly without progressing through the previous tiers.

Makes me laugh at the irony of removing flat % stats for "rating" when having over 100% could work like Diablo or some shit... 101% crit? You have a 1% chance for a super crit!
That would work, but the main reason flat x% items went away was because they changed itemization philosophy, but players kept using those old items. They didn't like a) people being forced to raid old shit for those items and b) a mix of old and new itemization fucking up their planned power progression with unforeseen synergies.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Do people actually want to poop-sock this time around? I sure as hell don't. I'm looking forward to a fairly casual experience getting to 60, including trade skills and pvp and then not killing myself, my career, or relationships trying to raid all the time.
I keep telling me that myself, but I fear the moment someone comes around and curbstomps your sorry low level ass your competitive spirit awakens and you will poopsock. Not to get mad, but to get even. Remember: Everyone who isn't as good as you is a newbie scrub, and everyone better is a jobless virgin incel with no real life coasting by on welfare.

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Makes me laugh at the irony of removing flat % stats for "rating" when having over 100% could work like Diablo or some shit... 101% crit? You have a 1% chance for a super crit! 200% crit is all super crits, 201% has a 1% chance to do triple damage. There's no reason those stats couldn't be limitless, and you adjust the scaling of mob/boss stats to counter accordingly. Or just add crit damage as a stat... You literally don't need levels other than to delay and force players to figure out the base game (see The Division).

The reason they do ratings is because the power level grows with every % rather than being a linear increase. The same logic applies to armor. If it were a linear progression, 1000 armor on top of 20k would be better than going from 5000 to 6000. But they want linear improvement, so more armor adds less damage reduction in absolute %. So changing it from % to rating was just consistent.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The item level thing is just the curse of the exponential growth. When you go from item level 60 to 90 you have an increase of 50% in stat allocation. To have the same relative increase when your base item level is 600 you end up with item level 900. And that was what we hit in Legion, with legendary items at 1000.
Back then (in BC), they changed that. ilvl up to around 90 was linear, but during BC, they changed the stat/ilvl formula. Starting then, you had the "modern" formula of 15 ilvl = +10% stat (30ilvl = +21%, 45ilvl = +33%, 60ilvl = +46%, and so on), which meant they just had to plug "next tier is 15ilvl higher" and voila. New tier automatically in their spreadsheet designer.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Obviously I'm gonna end up playing this at least a month. It's going to be weird doing this as a creepy old man, rather than young 20 something.

They don't sell wide mouth 1L Mountain Dew bottles anymore, this gonna suck. Those things were perfect for emergency pisses in the middle of a battleground/raid, completely hands free once ya start, tuck between the knees, lean forward a bit, let go. Pop the cap on good, let it drop to floor. I can't imagine doing that shit now, my wife would have all my shit thrown out on the driveway within hours.

Haven't really been following, but what are the chances the WoW guild getting together again for this? Was fun while it lasted in Legion, this would actually be really fun with a good chill group like that, I would love to be that guy that will fuck up the dance in Naxx every time.

• 1Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Obviously I'm gonna end up playing this at least a month. It's going to be weird doing this as a creepy old man, rather than young 20 something.

They don't sell wide mouth 1L Mountain Dew bottles anymore, this gonna suck. Those things were perfect for emergency pisses in the middle of a battleground/raid, completely hands free once ya start, tuck between the knees, lean forward a bit, let go. Pop the cap on good, let it drop to floor. I can't imagine doing that shit now, my wife would have all my shit thrown out on the driveway within hours.

Haven't really been following, but what are the chances the WoW guild getting together again for this? Was fun while it lasted in Legion, this would actually be really fun with a good chill group like that, I would love to be that guy that will fuck up the dance in Naxx every time.
If Maiden in TOS is an example of the forum guild's ability to dance, Thaddius is going to be fuckin' impossible.

That said, I plan to play -- in whatever form that ends up being.

• 2Like